Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

Fuses with Cusom / Shape Output?

Bernando
Answers: 1

Fuses with Cusom / Shape Output?

Post by Bernando »

Can I create Fuses with custom Output types?

I got both excited and incredibly frustrated by the new Shape Tools in v17. I'm wondering if a similar, but more flexible and most importantly extensible set of tools could be created based on the Shape Drawing features of the Fuse API.

This would require creating shapes in one Fuse but manipulating and rendering them in another. Can anyone think of a way to do that? Is there even any theoretical way to pass objects like Shape() from the API from one Fuse to another?

What I learned so far is that I can put LUA tables into Metadata. I have done tests with that and it works really well.

Alternatively, I see that the LINKID_DataType supports other output types besides "Image". Like "Text", "Number", "Point" - but no Shapes I suppose?? Not sure what else is there or if it could be customized?

If I'm stuck with the Metadata option, I could still send around Lua tables and do the API related processing on the render node, but that would probably become a bit cumbersome.

Any hints?

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 10

Re: Fuses with Cusom / Shape Output?

Post by AndrewHazelden »

Bernando wrote:Any hints?
You might try reaching out to Matt Jefferson @ BMD and Steve Roberts, to see if you can get access to the FusionSDK which is used for compiling C++ based .plugins. There is an NDA agreement that you’d need to sign to get access to the FusionSDK resources but its free.

The C++ API in Fusion is much larger as far as what it unlocks, compared what’s possible in the much more accessible to get started with Fuse API. Compiled Fusion plugins run inside Fusion Studio and Resolve Studio’s Fusion page environment.

Also note, BMD has a strange habit of redirecting most new requests for the FusionSDK over to recommending OFX plugin development. You’ll likely need need to be insistent that what you really want to achieve for custom add-on creation truly needs the FusionSDK. :)

Good luck with your next phase of learning. I can’t wait to discover what you create next.

Bernando

Post by Bernando »

AndrewHazelden wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:23 amThe C++ API in Fusion is much larger as far as what it unlocks, compared what’s possible in the much more accessible to get started with Fuse API.
Yeah, so you are saying I likely reached the end with the Fuse API for this idea? - Unless I go for awkward workarounds...

I will request Access - curious to see what it can do. I have done some C++ development 8 years ago and could start again if I have to, though I must say I was hoping for a scripting solution ;)

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden »

Hi @Bernando.
Yeah, so you are saying I likely reached the end with the Fuse API for this idea? -
The following WSL posts might get you closer to your end goal (via awkward scripted workarounds) :)

Tapered Bezier! by Midgardsormr - 2019-08-20
viewtopic.php?p=25033#p25033

DCTL Book of Shaders post by Midgardsormr - 2020-06-01
viewtopic.php?p=32302#p32302

Follow-up Post by Shem Namo - 2020-06-02
viewtopic.php?p=32346#p32346

PolyShape Fuse post by SteveWatson - 2020-03-22
viewtopic.php?p=30376#p30376

BezierTo2 shape drawing function post by Midgardsormr - 2019-08-21
viewtopic.php?p=25057#p25057

Curve input by Midgardsormr - 2019-09-30
viewtopic.php?p=25896#p25896

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 24

Post by Midgardsormr »

There's also some interesting stuff for passing custom data packaged in JSON strings in Cedric's Spicy Acorn project: https://github.com/Spicy-Acorn

Bernando

Post by Bernando »

Thanks @AndrewHazelden and @Midgardsormr,

I saw some of the posts before but I see there is more for me to study! I'll let you know how it goes.

BMD told me they could share the SDK with me once they completed updates for the Apple M1. So I guess I have more time to explore the awkward scripted workarounds in the meantime :-)

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden »

Bernando wrote:BMD told me they could share the SDK with me once they completed updates for the Apple M1. So I guess I have more time to explore the awkward scripted workarounds in the meantime
I find all of the learning efforts spent on developing "awkward scripted workarounds" works together and provides a better (and far deeper) understanding of the underlying tech in Fusion/Resolve. Plus it sparks inspiration for what can be achieved for customization. :)