In the olden days, producers knew what visual effects were. Now they’ve gotten into this methodology where they’ll hire a middleman – a visual effects supervisor, and this person works for the producing studio.
They’re middle managers. And when you go into a review with one of them, there’s this weird sort of competition that happens.

It’s a game called ‘Find What’s Wrong With This Shot’. And there’s always going to be something wrong, because everything’s subjective. And you can micromanage it down to a pixel, and that happens all the time. We’re doing it digitally, so there’s no pressure to save on film costs or whatever, so it’s not unusual to go through 500 revisions of the same shot, moving pixels around and scrutinizing this or that.

That’s not how you manage artists. You encourage artists, and then you’ll get – you know – art.

If your idea of managing artists is just pointing out what’s wrong and making them fix it over and over again, you end up with artists who just stand around asking “OK lady, where do you want this sofa? You want it over there? No? Fine. You want it over there? I don’t give a fuck. I’ll put it wherever you want it.” It’s creative mismanagement, it’s part of the whole corporate modality. The fish stinks from the head on down. Back on Star Wars, Robocop, we never thought about what was wrong with a shot.

We just thought about how to make it better.

Phil Tippett

does Generation 8.2 work for anyone?

French_Fry
Fusioneer

does Generation 8.2 work for anyone?

Post #1 by French_Fry » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:28 am

Hello,
I was just wondering. I don't use Generation as a major production tool, but I do keep it handy to preview 3D or comp renders, because it's so light and fast. Something happened in the past couple of weeks and now it only displaces black frames ( no matter the source). Is anyone using Generation 8.2?
I'm on win 10....and I also just happened to have updated to the anniversary update. But I think it happened before the os update, so I'm leaning towards it happening with the official 8.2 studio update from the beta2.
Anyone else?

Firebird

Re: does Generation 8.2 work for anyone?

Post #2 by Firebird » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:08 am

Hi
I had the same problem after an GPU (Nvidia) driver update.
A roll back of the driver was the only way to get it working again.

French_Fry
Fusioneer

Post #3 by French_Fry » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:52 pm

Ah...well..it seems we updated the drivers because with the Microsoft update, some adobe plugins stopped working...arghh....drivers....!!!
thanks for the tip!

Localbuddha

Post #4 by Localbuddha » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:08 am

Latest "working" drivers are 368.81

French_Fry
Fusioneer

Post #5 by French_Fry » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:35 am

Thanks I'll try it out. ! If this is common, I guess we need to tell BMD about it...though I wonder how much dev time they will be putting into Generation..

Kenzor
Fusioneer

Post #6 by Kenzor » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:01 am

Latest 8.21 version of fusion seems to have fixed the driver issue.