In the olden days, producers knew what visual effects were. Now they’ve gotten into this methodology where they’ll hire a middleman – a visual effects supervisor, and this person works for the producing studio.
They’re middle managers. And when you go into a review with one of them, there’s this weird sort of competition that happens.

It’s a game called ‘Find What’s Wrong With This Shot’. And there’s always going to be something wrong, because everything’s subjective. And you can micromanage it down to a pixel, and that happens all the time. We’re doing it digitally, so there’s no pressure to save on film costs or whatever, so it’s not unusual to go through 500 revisions of the same shot, moving pixels around and scrutinizing this or that.

That’s not how you manage artists. You encourage artists, and then you’ll get – you know – art.

If your idea of managing artists is just pointing out what’s wrong and making them fix it over and over again, you end up with artists who just stand around asking “OK lady, where do you want this sofa? You want it over there? No? Fine. You want it over there? I don’t give a fuck. I’ll put it wherever you want it.” It’s creative mismanagement, it’s part of the whole corporate modality. The fish stinks from the head on down. Back on Star Wars, Robocop, we never thought about what was wrong with a shot.

We just thought about how to make it better.

Phil Tippett

Archive Composition Script

Moderator: Tilt

AndrewHazelden
Fusionista

Re: Archive Composition Script

Post #16 by AndrewHazelden » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:24 am

andromeda_girl wrote:this is in fu9 studio on windows 10 x64 pro

Do you still have Fusion 8 on the same workstation? Does the Archive script work successfully in Fusion 8 on your composite? Knowing that would help me with the troubleshooting process. :)

Tags:

andromeda_girl
Fusioneer

Post #17 by andromeda_girl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:15 am

i'll test that

andromeda_girl
Fusioneer

Post #18 by andromeda_girl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:47 am

same result in fusion studio 8 :-P
made a folder:
archive-comp-001.jpg

hit 'open'
archive-comp-002.jpg

so, one thing i am now wondering is this--
do i have to explicitly name the folder with the phrase '(FOLDERNAME)Archive Composition' in order for it to work?????
because that is an unexpected requirement
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionista

Post #19 by AndrewHazelden » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:53 am

Delete the "Archive Composition" text at the bottom of the file browser window, then select the folder you want to use in the top folder navigation view and it should all work fine. :)

2017-08-12-Archive Comp-folder-picker-fix.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andromeda_girl
Fusioneer

Post #20 by andromeda_girl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:12 pm

Jävlar helvete!

Tacktack! :D

AndrewHazelden
Fusionista

Post #21 by AndrewHazelden » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:22 pm

andromeda_girl wrote:Jävlar helvete!

Tacktack! :D

I'm happy to hear things worked out well. :)

ELinder

Post #22 by ELinder » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:43 pm

Wonderful, this is the exact thing I was looking for over on the BlackMagic forum!

Erich

ELinder

Post #23 by ELinder » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:10 pm

Would it be possible for the script to also save files used by modifiers into the new archived location? For example, I just used the Audio File Modifier from this forum, and while it did save all the settings, it didn't save the referenced audio file or obviously change that file path.

Erich

ISOTRON
Fusioneer

Post #24 by ISOTRON » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:01 am

hi,
i read your script .... for purpose reasons... i wonder, why you are using the old eyeon.xxxxxx fuctions , this cant be work, right?, because the scriptlib is now called bmd ?!

okay, i testet it with Fu9 ... and it works... but dont know why!?

AndrewHazelden
Fusionista

Post #25 by AndrewHazelden » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:11 am

Hi Isotron.

The old Eyeon era Lua scriptlib functions still work in Fusion 8/9 based Lua scripts. You don't actually have to aggressively go in and rename the functions to all to use the bmd.* prefix.

It was elements in a Lua script that relied on "pairs", lua-fs & readdir, or the IUP window manager that on longer work and caused a majority of compatibility issues.

Also adding Linux/Mac support to a previous Windows only Lua script is typically a matter of simply handling the folder slash direction.

When possible I try to retain the widest range of support for Fusion versions. :D

AndrewHazelden
Fusionista

Post #26 by AndrewHazelden » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:13 am

ELinder wrote:Would it be possible for the script to also save files used by modifiers into the new archived location? For example, I just used the Audio File Modifier from this forum, and while it did save all the settings, it didn't save the referenced audio file or obviously change that file path.

Hi ELinder.

Yes. It would be possible to add that type of feature to the Archive Composition Script. At the moment I am occupied with several other development tasks so it might be a while before this feature addition is implemented.

ELinder

Post #27 by ELinder » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Thank you.