Auto Generate Generation Project

Sbenjamin
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:52 am
Location: Hollywood, CA
Contact:

Auto Generate Generation Project

#1

Post by Sbenjamin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:41 am

Hey guys!

Having a bit of a scripting issue (or maybe not understanding something properly when it comes to how Generation reads its own project files?) that I could use some help with.

In the past, I've written a script to auto generate projects within Generation. This works fairly well, however, when dealing with 100s to 1000s of items for dailies, it becomes a bit slow. I took a look into what the Generation .genprj file actually looks like and noticed that it was mainly just an xml file. So the theory was to just recreate it externally and use a batch file to have Generation load the created project, thus eliminating the need to open Generation and load each item one by one.

Overall, this works. It works on a single shot fairly well, even an entire show. The problem is that its inconsistent when handling multiple shows and I'm not 100% sure why. At first I thought that it had to do with UUIDs, but I took them out of the original .genprj and Generation still loaded it with no issues. So I added my own and still got no issues on a small scale. I have attached copies of my .genprj's, one done by Generation and one done externally. On paper, the two look the same with the exception of item names and filepaths, but that is expected. The item names to match properly to their version indexes and layed out the same; and the filepaths do exist for both. So I'm very curious as to what the issue may be. I've narrowed it down to one project that doesn't want to load properly to start with.

Unfortunately, Generation has poor error logging. In the command prompt that opens, they load the same, and when using "compare" in Notepad++, they look the same. So I'm at a bit at a lost. If anyone has any ideas, beers are on me if you're in the LA area. ;)

-StevieB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sbenjamin
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:52 am
Location: Hollywood, CA
Contact:

Re: Auto Generate Generation Project

#2

Post by Sbenjamin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:19 am

Apologies for necroing something (sorry moderators!!) but I wanted to share that I did end up finding the issue. It had to do with "-" in the strings for "ItemName". :)

I also wanted to share the gen script for this thread to Auto Generate a Generation Project from an xml. I left a number of notes within the script itself and have attached a sample xml. All that is needed is preferably a batch file with the following command:

python (path to AutoGenerate.py) %1

This will let you drag the xml over the bat to generate the project. Generation proved to be VERY finicky with scripts and bugs, but this script proved to be very solid over the years. Within the script, make sure to change the Generation.exe path to your location. Hopefully this will get others started on how to script for Generation. I'll also be posting some other scripts that I did for our pipeline here at Muse VFX (http://www.musevfx.com) to help others out as well, including one that will show you all of your EXR buffers in a grid format based off of a single buffer.

I sadly don't have much time to bug fix, but I can try my best to help answer questions, either on here or email, sbenjamin2190@yahoo.com. Hopefully ya'll find this useful!

-StevieB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.