Scripts location

eski
Fusioneer

Scripts location

Post by eski » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:40 am

When right clicking on a clip in the timeline there is a option for scripts.
Does anybody know the path so I can put scripts there. It's empty now so I can't trace it.

Regards
Sigurgeir

Midgardsormr
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Re: Scripts location

Post by Midgardsormr » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:33 am

There are a couple of places where scripts can live. The Fusion program directory has a Scripts folder.

On Windows:

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Scripts
C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\Fusion

In any of those folders, there should be several subfolders. Scripts that are intended to be run by right-clicking a tool go in the Tool folder. Scripts that should be run from the Script menu go in Comp.

You can quickly set up a new script by pointing to Edit > New… The file browser will appear, likely pointed at the AppData location.

You can also set up custom script locations using the Path Maps section of the Preferences. For instance, I like to set up a separate Development folder on my desktop where I can test new scripts, macros and fuses before adding them to the main shared repository on our network.

eski
Fusioneer

Post by eski » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 am

Sorry, was to quick pressing the submit button apparently.
This question was meant for Generation, not Fusion.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:44 am

I guess people are not quite used to Generation questions :D

Midgardsormr
Fusionista

Post by Midgardsormr » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:59 am

Oh, whoops! My bad. I guess that's the danger of the "New Posts" button. It isn't always apparent which forum I'm in. I'll ask the Generations expert at work when I get there.

Midgardsormr
Fusionista

Post by Midgardsormr » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 am

Steve hasn't arrived yet, but here's where ours live:
S:\net_exe\BlackMagic\fusion\64bit\Fusion_7.7.1.0\Generation\scripts\generation\toolbar\Scripts

That's a very wonky path.
There is a Path Map tab in the Preferences that should point you in the right direction.

eski
Fusioneer

Post by eski » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:07 am

Haha, yes. Be prepared for a loooot of Generation questions.. :D

I have seen that folder and it has some items, see attachment.
Seems to be only for the Scrips button on the bottom usermenu.

Still, when right clicking on a item the script list is empty, see my prob?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sbenjamin

Post by Sbenjamin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 am

Hey eski!

In my experience, navigating to scripts that way only brings up the script editor, not actual scripts. Generation likes to launch scripts via the toolbar, in which case you can get to those scripts via:

~\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\Generation\scripts\generation\toolbar

From here, you can either put your script into any of the folders or you can create you own folder for custom scripts to be added to the Generation toolbar upon launch.

Welcome to Generation Scripting!

eski
Fusioneer

Post by eski » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:53 am

Sbenjamin wrote:Hey eski!

In my experience, navigating to scripts that way only brings up the script editor, not actual scripts. Generation likes to launch scripts via the toolbar, in which case you can get to those scripts via:

~\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\Generation\scripts\generation\toolbar

From here, you can either put your script into any of the folders or you can create you own folder for custom scripts to be added to the Generation toolbar upon launch.

Welcome to Generation Scripting!

Thanks, glad to found this place, finally some people that actually has a dialog concerning Fusion/Generation :)

As I understand it, ~\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\Generation\scripts\generation\toolbar is for the menu on the bottom. That does work for me, I already have a custom folder there for my scripts.
But I'm just trying to make the scripts appear under the script list when right clicking each clip. There must be a way to populate that list if Eyeon made it there in the first place, right?

I was thinking it could be somewhere here ~\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\Generation\scripts\generation\toolbar\clips similar that the userbar is ~\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\Generation\scripts\generation\userbar

oh men all these paths are getting confusing.. :roll:

Sbenjamin

Post by Sbenjamin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:18 pm

eski wrote: There must be a way to populate that list if Eyeon made it there in the first place, right?
:roll:
Not exactly. I'm not sure if I'm the one to speak on it nor if this is entirely accurate, but from what I understand in the regards to the history of Generation, Gen was originally software that was outsourced by Eyeon. After some time, work waned on Generation and was somewhat a mess. Eyeon took it back and did their best to get things working without starting over completely. Because of this, there's various things that don't work as expected or at all, including scripting. And with the lack of documentation, a lot of this is found via trial and error. Creating proxies is one system that comes immediately to mind.

For instance, here is the old manual (and I post this as between Gen 8 and 7, it seems to just be a rebranding but nothing really fixed):
http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/F ... -07-16.pdf
and the new one:
http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/F ... Manual.pdf

Page 30(old, 45 new) states this, "Scripts Allows to run scripts which are located in the Scripts subfolder" (What you're looking for) I just tried in both Gen 7 and 8 putting scripts in various folders within all subfolders, and could not get it a script to show up under that scripts list. I would like to chalk this up to another that simply doesn't work as told/intended or at all. Toolbar still seems to be the best method.

I would like to state that a lot of my scripting knowledge on Generation comes from a lot of trial and error due to lack of or unclear documentation. There very well may be a location to put the scripts to show up there, but neither myself or others that I know have been able to get it to work. If you stumble across it, I would love to know the answer. :)

As "broken" as Gen may seem at times behind the curtains, its still extremely powerful and I've written a number of scripts for it to work within our pipeline, and I have no problems sharing if you're interested. Custom sandboxes, auto filling projects with shots, versions, and proper metadata, a custom proxy system, and "exploding" exrs to see every buffer to name a few. I've just been hoping that Blackmagic fixes a lot of its bugs.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:25 pm

I would LOVE to see you expand on your work in here. I think it would go a long way introducing people to Generation and how it can be put to good use.

If you would feel like doing that and have additional ideas how I can be of help forum-wise, let me know.

eski
Fusioneer

Post by eski » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Sbenjamin wrote:
eski wrote: There must be a way to populate that list if Eyeon made it there in the first place, right?
:roll:
Not exactly. I'm not sure if I'm the one to speak on it nor if this is entirely accurate, but from what I understand in the regards to the history of Generation, Gen was originally software that was outsourced by Eyeon. After some time, work waned on Generation and was somewhat a mess. Eyeon took it back and did their best to get things working without starting over completely. Because of this, there's various things that don't work as expected or at all, including scripting. And with the lack of documentation, a lot of this is found via trial and error. Creating proxies is one system that comes immediately to mind.

For instance, here is the old manual (and I post this as between Gen 8 and 7, it seems to just be a rebranding but nothing really fixed):
http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/F ... -07-16.pdf
and the new one:
http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/F ... Manual.pdf

Page 30(old, 45 new) states this, "Scripts Allows to run scripts which are located in the Scripts subfolder" (What you're looking for) I just tried in both Gen 7 and 8 putting scripts in various folders within all subfolders, and could not get it a script to show up under that scripts list. I would like to chalk this up to another that simply doesn't work as told/intended or at all. Toolbar still seems to be the best method.

I would like to state that a lot of my scripting knowledge on Generation comes from a lot of trial and error due to lack of or unclear documentation. There very well may be a location to put the scripts to show up there, but neither myself or others that I know have been able to get it to work. If you stumble across it, I would love to know the answer. :)

As "broken" as Gen may seem at times behind the curtains, its still extremely powerful and I've written a number of scripts for it to work within our pipeline, and I have no problems sharing if you're interested. Custom sandboxes, auto filling projects with shots, versions, and proper metadata, a custom proxy system, and "exploding" exrs to see every buffer to name a few. I've just been hoping that Blackmagic fixes a lot of its bugs.

Thanks for your answer, I guess you are right. It's just there for show, at least until we find the holy folder... :)

I'm really interested in anything you would like to share. I'm just in the beginning state of writing a pipeline for my company. We are testing this on a mini show, about 20 vfx shot but hopefully it will be ready for our next show which is going to be around 200-300 shots. I'm hoping that Generation will handle that.

Sbenjamin

Post by Sbenjamin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Generations can definitely handle that many shots. The only issue is that the navigator at the top does not scroll nor extend to accommodate all of the shots. So once your timeline gets too big, the navigator essentially becomes useless past a certain point.

SecondMan, I'll remove the proprietary stuff out of them and clean up the scripts to share! Once done, I can send a link to you to approve to post. :)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Sbenjamin wrote: SecondMan, I'll remove the proprietary stuff out of them and clean up the scripts to share! Once done, I can send a link to you to approve to post. :)
That sounds fantastic! You don't need my approval to post anything here. :)

It would be nice to have several topics in varying degrees of complexity. Something that can serve as an "intro to Generation scripting" to start with, and then building up to more complex cases? Just illustrating how Generation can be put to good use and maybe more people here will start picking it up.

I am so rooting for a Linux version...