3D lens flares?

Moderator: SecondMan

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

3D lens flares?

Post by andromeda_girl » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:37 pm

is there or is there not a 3D tool or plugin for fusion that is essentially the same as either:
optical flare[not an OFX plugin]
or Knoll lens flare pro (red giant software) [adobe products only]

Millolab

Re: 3D lens flares?

Post by Millolab » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:43 pm

The only ofx plug-in with decent flares is sapphire. Quite expensive, tho...

JUNE
Fusioneer

Post by JUNE » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:20 am

Real 3D?

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:44 am

The funny thing is, that in the real world there is nothing like 3D Lensflares...:-)
As we all know, lensflares emerge within the lens itself (maybe at the edges of the lensshade as well).
But still a rather small 3D space compared to the 3D extent of the scene that is being filmed...:-)

Midgardsormr
Fusionista

Post by Midgardsormr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:30 am

That was something I asked a guy at Stereo D about concerning the conversion of Star Trek: Into Darkness. What do you do with all those flares? He just said, "Shut up." So my curiosity remains unsatisfied.

French_Fry
Fusionista

Post by French_Fry » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Midgardsormr wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:30 am
That was something I asked a guy at Stereo D about concerning the conversion of Star Trek: Into Darkness. What do you do with all those flares? He just said, "Shut up." So my curiosity remains unsatisfied.
:D :D

Though, like Aurore, I would love to have some optical flares type plugin, fuse. I've seen @JUNE 's super fast WIP flare, but I haven't seen that's been available for download.

gez
Fusioneer

Post by gez » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Midgardsormr wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:30 am
Hey, that was rude! Or maybe it was a nervous "shut up" as in "shut up, I don't even want to think about it"? :D

It's an interesting conundrum though. I've been thinking about it and the most obvious solution seems wrong: if each eye is a camera lens, then each image will have an individual lens flare (2D, not 3D), and it will be more or less like having the lens flare projected directily onto your 3D glasses. Something definitely uncomfortable to watch, as you can't possibly focuso on it.
But who knows? Maybe that's the way it works and making it a tad uncomfortable to watch ends up adding to the effect of a blinding light directly pointed to your eyeballs.

It sounds like a nice experiment to try.

Midgardsormr
Fusionista

Post by Midgardsormr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:49 pm

gez wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:06 pm
Hey, that was rude! Or maybe it was a nervous "shut up"
I think it was "I was rotoscoping lens flares for 14 hours today, and I dreamed about them last night. Please don't make me think about them in my off hours."

As a rule, I don't watch many stereoscopic movies. After having spent a year+ in conversion, I'm quite over it. So I don't know how flares are handled. My guess is they're treated as an artistic element and not a physical one. Abrams didn't seem to be all that keen on making them plausible to start with, after all.

gez
Fusioneer

Post by gez » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Wow, making people rotoscope lens flares has to be considered a crime against humanity.
I've always assumed that people who does conversion received a decent material (and in my mind that means that optical effects among others would be handed as separate plates).
But from what you just said it sounds like you get a DVD with a note "make it 3D". Scary.

Midgardsormr
Fusionista

Post by Midgardsormr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:19 pm

I'm sure it varies. My own experience was sort of the latter. We got a Beta for conversion once! I've also done conversion on SD stock footage that was simultaneously being up-rezzed to 4k. Fortunately that was micro-organisms, so nobody expected it to be anything other than blurry. Still, I'm not sure it could really still be called photography by the time I was done with it.

Films that are shot for conversion usually have the conversion vendor involved from pre-production, so they get better assets. But if the DP shoots a flare, you've gotta find a way to push it into the other eye. And not every film has a stereographer on-set. Sometimes they even have to perform conversions after VFX, which is just wrong. I think there was some of that going on in Ghost in the Shell (the most recent movie I saw in stereo).

pingking
Fusionista

Post by pingking » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:56 am

Mostly all conversations are done after vfx nowadays, but they try to separate the vfx shots already in different layers to make it a bit easier.

But back to the topic of lens flares:
I guess JUNE ported the OCL flares from Natron to fusion. I hope he finds the time to finish them to release it. (even if it will only for fu9)

I played around with some flares build in Fusions 3d space but never got more as a basic proof of concept (will post a screen capture) thought it would be much faster to render image planes with openGL then calculate every image for each frame

Captain LeBuck
Fusioneer

Post by Captain LeBuck » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:31 am

Ahoy there,

I am also working on a LensFlare Fuse but it’s a different approach! Unfortunately the programmer I am working with doesn’t know Fusion so it takes a little longer :) but it is looking good already! Keep you folks posted!

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:35 am

Captain LeBuck wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:31 am
I am also working on a LensFlare Fuse
Terrific news! Looking forward to it! :)