Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

Fusion Studio slower than Fusion free?

Moderator: SecondMan

phoenixart

Fusion Studio slower than Fusion free?

Post by phoenixart » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:35 pm

Today I did a simple render with Fusion Studio and, to my surprise, it turned out to be slower than Fusion 9 free.
We're talking of about a second and a half slower, which is negligible. But then again, the comp is very simple, and therefore I wouldn't be surprised if with a more complex scene the gap would increase.
The thing is, it's a little surprising to see that the studio version is performing slower than the free version. After all, I would expect the Studio to take full advantage of the GPU. I have two 1080ti and I'm using at least one node that uses GPU.

Is there something I should change in the settings?
image.png
(API and DEVICE were on Auto, I then changed them to see if there was going to be any improvement)
And this is for the memory:
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phoenixart

Re: Fusion Studio slower than Fusion free?

Post by phoenixart » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:44 pm

Ok, this is strange: I did another test, this time with two saver nodes instead of one and it took about 1.30-sec per frame. So, it seems it is faster but you need to throw more work at it? :)

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 19

Post by Midgardsormr » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:13 pm

Could be a lot of things. Did you perform the test multiple times in each version? Did you try it with GPU disabled in Fusion 16/17?

There could be a little extra overhead from moving images into VRAM—my tests with v9.0 showed that it was almost always slower when GPU was enabled. The prevailing theory was that the bus between VRAM and system memory was a bottleneck because the image was being transferred unnecessarily. That's since been addressed, apparently, but in a very simple comp, it may well take more time to move the image than it does to process it. Thus, keeping it on the CPU might be faster, giving v9 the edge. But when complexity rises just a little bit, that advantage would vanish.

Or your OS might have been doing some background operation during the test, which slowed things down unexpectedly. Or, or, or… Gotta run lots of tests with various configurations. More data is good data.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 28

Post by SecondMan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Between 9 and 16/17 so many things have changed that it's hard to compare. I would expect that some things will be faster, others will be slower.

A lot will depend on your hardware too I suspect. On my relatively old laptop with a GeForce 850M, Sprut runs a lot faster in 9 than in 16/17, but then other processes and individual tools run faster in 16/17 because of all the advances in GPU utilisation and possibly other under-the-hood advances. On newer hardware perhaps the latest and greatest may well run markedly faster across the board?

phoenixart

Post by phoenixart » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:26 am

Thank you, Brian

I haven't done a more consistent test yet, so you're right, there could be several variables here to take into account.
I have been rendering a few more stills, and it seems it's performing fine. I think with an image sequence test I can get a better idea.

Thank you SecondMan, I'll keep that in mind in case I notice some particular difference while using specific nodes/tools.