Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

Higx Point Render

Moderator: SecondMan

phoenixart
Fusioneer
Answers: 1

Higx Point Render

Post by phoenixart »

I'm not a developer so forgive me if this sounds off or inappropriate.
I stumbled upon this interesting render engine for Nuke https://higx.net/point_render/
I guess this stuff it's somehow doable in Fusion with the built-in particle system, or maybe it's possible to get close to it.
Since it's open-source I wonder if there could be something that could be of interest to some skilled developer here.
From my understanding, it's particularly aimed at those kinds of effects rather than more generic particle situations.
Anyway, I posted this hoping that maybe can be of inspiration.

Millolab
Fusionista
Answers: 4

Re: Higx Point Render

Post by Millolab »

You can certainly do something similar using Fusion's particle system! Anyway, I'm not a developed either... maybe people like @danell or @Shem Namo could be interested in looking into this!
:)

phoenixart
Fusioneer

Post by phoenixart »

Thanks @Millolab

From my little technical understanding, if I were to do a comparison it seems to me that's more like Trapcode Form than Trapcode Particular:
PointRender is using image data rather than geo data
And I'm still moving my first steps into Fusion, but from what I've seen I would probably take a mesh and deform it and then map the particles onto the mesh.

Millolab
Fusionista
Answers: 4

Post by Millolab »

you may want to check this for example:

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 959#p34959

and also this one:

https://noahhaehnel.com/blog/pcustom-examples/
a great serie of tutorials by @UserNoah

Not exactly the same, but a great starting point!

Cheers!!

phoenixart
Fusioneer

Post by phoenixart »

Thanks!

I think I've noticed those tutorials, I gotta find the time to learn! :)
What amazes me is when I look at old tutorials on youtube, even the ones from Eyeon and I see the advanced stuff that was already possible at the time.
How that didn't gather more attention from the motion graphics community still puzzles me.

Guido

Post by Guido »

phoenixart wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:53 pm What amazes me is when I look at old tutorials on youtube, even the ones from Eyeon and I see the advanced stuff that was already possible at the time.
How that didn't gather more attention from the motion graphics community still puzzles me.
It' has always been perplexing to me that AE became the de facto standard in the Mograph world, it has never done and still doesn't do anything particularly well other than host a multitude of plugins.

However, Fusion looked like it was EOL for many years and only available for the PC. BMD has at least energised it by bringing Fusion to the Mac and incorporating into Resolve so hopefully more and more people will get on board what is an incredibly capable piece of software right out of the box and not needing a plethora of expensive plugins to be useful. I think Fusion's best days are still ahead of it.

@Millolab, Thanks for posting that tutorial it a very useful technique.

theotheo
Fusionista
Answers: 3

Post by theotheo »

Fusion's particle system is more generic, but still quite capable. PointRender is more like an early Krakatoa, only focusing on additive point effects.

I did this in Fusion 11 years ago :

phoenixart
Fusioneer

Post by phoenixart »

Guido wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:58 amHowever, Fusion looked like it was EOL for many years and only available for the PC
That's a good point. I'm used to the fact that nowadays PCs are the norm but when I started it was only about Mac.
Guido wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:58 amI think Fusion's best days are still ahead of it.
I hope you're right. My experience with Fusion is still quite limited but I'm having so much fun using it.
In fact, I'm glad I went with the Studio version, even if I had to use it only for personal projects.
theotheo wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:16 amI did this in Fusion 11 years ago :
That proves that Fusion in the capable hands gave users advanced features already quite some time ago :)
Nicely done, theotheo!

Still, I can see how something like Higx could bring a whole kind of unique effects to Fusion.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 31

Post by SecondMan »

Let's not forget @theotheo's excellent slippery slope particle guide.

Why don't we start describing a collection of primitives in images (position passes) as a basis for particles and geo deformation? Not that far from what Higx does. If I get a moment I'll set something up...

Guido

Post by Guido »

Wow, those Slippery slope examples are stunning which begs the question how many other similarly awesome examples are buried in this forum?

I have certainly recommended this forum to Resolve users who are curious about Fusion and keen to give it a go and it would be nice if there was a pinned thread which contained a digest of stand out eye candy to whet the appetite of these new users.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 31

Post by SecondMan »

Guido wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:03 amhow many other similarly awesome examples are buried in this forum?
Probably quite a few... :)

Even after 5+ years there are still lots of things on my to-do, but I agree with you, curating what's already here is very high up on that list. This idea was part of that, too (it's not the same I know).

I'll get to all of that one day, no worries. Beer helps.