Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

In search of a depth of field plugin

Moderator: SecondMan

JUNE
Fusionista

Re: In search of a depth of field plugin

Post by JUNE »

OK, thank you for your support, because I come to China, and you have jet lag, no time to reply, please understand.
@phoenixart @Millolab @SecondMan
I have received a lot of suggestions for the follow-up upgrade, because my work is very busy, and these researches are all in the time of hobbies, so the progress may be relatively slow, but thank you again for your support, and I hope this plug-in can really be added to the project production.

theotheo
Fusionista
Answers: 3

Post by theotheo »

hey @JUNE, does your fuse support custom kernels for the bokeh ? And anamorphic / squeezed bokehs ?

Millolab
Fusionista
Answers: 5

Post by Millolab »

theotheo wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:22 am hey @JUNE, does your fuse support custom kernels for the bokeh ? And anamorphic / squeezed bokehs ?
It doesn’t, at the moment. I really hope he will implement them!

jbills

Post by jbills »

Latest version (29 April 2021) has bokeh and shape support! Great timing, have some CG that needs decent DOF coming in hot!

I don't know if leaving feedback here is ok, but I noticed the blur value was misspelled ("blue") and it seemed to be unable to pass through the alpha of my image when applying to individual layers, so when using it on individual elements, I'm branching out the alpha and applying it seperately and then copying it back into the stream.

Thanks for this - really is a lifesaver compared to other options, and this saving me from having to render DOF in CG or buy Frischluft, which is pretty huge really.

If I could make a feature request - it would be great to be able to add a custom bokeh image (like 125 x 125px or so is fine). And also a gain and luma threshold for "bloom" would be amazing.
Last edited by jbills on Fri May 07, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tida
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Post by tida »

@jbills did you try this with regards to bokeh image customization

viewtopic.php?p=36815#p36815

JUNE
Fusionista

Post by JUNE »

phoenixart wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:56 pm @Millolab

Thank you so much for putting the demo together, really appreciated it!

It makes sense, I was randomly moving the black and white point sliders and since the range they can accept is quite wide I was always off. I should have tried with the CTRL key at least to check smaller values.

Now I can test it and I'll see how it holds with other examples but at first glance, it seems the results are indeed pleasing without edge artifacts.
I hope JUNE will add some bokeh controls in the future.

The example below might be too much considered the fuse is only $18 but there are very nice ideas to get inspiration from:
http://richardrosenman.com/shop/dof-pro-ae/

Grazie Emilio!

jbills

Post by jbills »

tida wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:34 am @jbills did you try this with regards to bokeh image customization

viewtopic.php?p=36815#p36815
I did, thanks! Wasn't working well with my setup - CG out of vray. I tried unfiltered and filtered, all the settings, but couldn't get results as good as what June's fuse is giving me. Mostly edge issues with FG Z elements glowing as the values push to the BG. (the usual Z defocus artifact stuff)

Did look interesting though! lots of customization options. I think it might even give the sweetest blur of the bunch that I tested, so I might be able to put it in play if I break the renders out into layers (FG/BG) so that I can more easily control the artifacting along the edges. I love that it has an image based bokeh input. Only thing I find myself reaching for is a bloom/highlight threshold sort of control to pump some more brightness into the upper range.

The DepthDefocus node by Gregory Chalenko has been a good 2nd option for me, has some edge refinement stuff that helps deal with some of those types of problems.

Sounds like Frischluft is a bit unstable in Fusion, that's too bad. Some day maybe we'll have a more robust solution like what you can get with PGBokeh + Nuke in deep.
Last edited by jbills on Mon May 10, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl »

jumping in on this since i got the fuse today - it certainly appears to be very good from the samples but i still cannot get it to work properly.
i noticed in this thread that the fuse expects the Z to be in the red channel [always found that annoying AF since the z exists for a reason], but the selector for this still only lets you choose between 'colour' and 'z' and you do not have the option of telling it to use the red at all?
even if it is in the red, the tool still doesn't let you select red as the source for the depth.
more:
in fusion v9, 17 or 17.1; the tool 'repmaps" my z-depth values to be either zero or .99999 across the scene with no other values inbetween- so anything that is actual image to be defocused is always at 0.9999 so it's not helping there.
if i swap my z into the red channel it still gives me a global blur across my scene because the values are all at 0.99999 [this despite having a very wide range in my actual z depth out of my render 3D tool].
if i force the z to be coming into the tool as a separate channel, it still gives that same result
if i set the DOF tool to be viewing the z, it shows the correct z values the same way my render 3D tool does- but if i set it back to result and mouse over my image, those go back to being 0.9999 for everything across the scene.
really find all this a bit weird.

i keep watching the sample video with the 'how to' but none of that works on my end at all the same way. and that 'ml-inspector' tool seen in the video is not a native fusion tool, seems to be something for finding values but i can mouse over them and see what they are in the oh-so-inconveniently-located very lower left hand portion of the GUI so i see what they are... and the DOF tool still sees 0.9999 for everything except the solid black areas.

tonpix

Post by tonpix »

I've got your plugin @JUNE, it's great bang of value/price (following on your twitter). Blur mode has a good accuracy with depth, but Bokeh and Polygon have some issues with edges in my examples:

Blur mode:

Bokeh mode (result is similar in Polygon mode too):

Is it something on my side? Can I do something about it? I can provide resolve file if it helps

EDIT: I'm new to forums, but how do I tag/mention user there?

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl »

theotheo wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:54 am If you're going for very shallow depth of field, there's no tricks to solving the edge artefacts completely. Its because there just isn't enough information available to correctly segment edges in a single flat depth image. You can tweak yourself to death fixing the issues in comp. Its doable but its very much on a per image/shot/pixel tweaking level.
i recall comping a tv commercial many years ago where it was an all cg, ultra-shallow DOF sequence of shots. the client wanted something that miniaturized everything to a silly degree [IMHO] but in the end it did look kinda cool.
[it was in nuke , but the issues i had and concept here is the same]
it was agonizing trying to get it razor shallow and avoid edge artifacts. i kept telling them i'll never get it without better renders and i was right-
the fix was higher resolution renders.
way higher.
i don't recall if we went to 4k or if it was 8k [hey man, it was ages ago, ok?] but in the end; no artifacts and crazy shallow DOF.

tonpix

Post by tonpix »

andromeda_girl wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:15 ami recall comping a tv commercial many years ago where it was an all cg, ultra-shallow DOF sequence of shots. the client wanted something that miniaturized everything to a silly degree [IMHO] but in the end it did look kinda cool.
[it was in nuke , but the issues i had and concept here is the same]
it was agonizing trying to get it razor shallow and avoid edge artifacts. i kept telling them i'll never get it without better renders and i was right-
the fix was higher resolution renders.
way higher.
i don't recall if we went to 4k or if it was 8k [hey man, it was ages ago, ok?] but in the end; no artifacts and crazy shallow DOF.
You reminded of tip I forgot about - multiply resolution of depth map by at least 2-3x - it could be a tip that was in frischluft's Lenscare manual. Depth maps are rendered fast, so might be a good option to improve shallow depth, I'll test it other day. Thanks!

Millolab
Fusionista
Answers: 5

Post by Millolab »

JUNE wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:22 am
@JUNE is that a newer version?

tonpix

Post by tonpix »

Millolab wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:20 pm@JUNE is that a newer version?
It's, you can buy/download on his Gumroad

jbills

Post by jbills »

something like these is usually what I'd prefer to use for the bokeh - not that the shape you're generating isn't interesting. haven't ever seen anything quite like it, very stylistic.
Iris_Big-Spots.png
Iris_Blades.png
Iris_Clean.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl »

I was trying to get a reply from June on that bokeh issue myself- i thought the blue input would be to add your own bokeh bitmap image but it's for masking :P
terrible lost opportunity there, IMHO.