Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

FuStudio 17.2.2 doesn't detect GPU

Moderator: SecondMan

JPDoc
Fusionista
Answers: 1

FuStudio 17.2.2 doesn't detect GPU

Post by JPDoc »

Finally got around to testing FuStudio 17.2.2 (on a laptop, as I'm travelling) and I find that when I open it the console gives a message

"Warning: no usable GPU devices found".

Yet when I go into global preferences and select GPU/Options/GPU tools: Enable and Device:Select - it shows my laptops quadro K3100M (openGL) as selected. And if I set up a render selecting OpenGL it seems to work fine. Any thoughts?

Dell Precision M6800 Intel Core I7 4800MQ 32g ram Quadro K3100M win 10 pro

Guido
Fusioneer

Re: FuStudio 17.2.2 doesn't detect GPU

Post by Guido »

Have got the latest drivers installed? This is a usual suspect as sometimes updates increase the minimum supported driver level.

It's not an OpenGL error, it's a compute device warning.

JPDoc
Fusionista

Post by JPDoc »

Good thought but yes I have the latest drivers, in this case 426.78 (first thing I checked). FuStudio9 sees the device with no problems and throws no error message. And I'm pretty sure FuStudio16 saw it ok as well, but I can't check as I no longer have it installed. I didn't notice it on any previous fu17 installs either, but I'm not positive it wasn't there.

The warning would appear to indicate that no OpenGL (or CUDA) device has been found, but as I say above when you go to manual selection of GPU in global preferences the card is clearly listed and would appear to be selectable. Hence my thought that it's a bug of some sort . . .possibly related to particular GPU models?

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 28

Post by Midgardsormr »

I did some additional investigating, related to the issue with the ShaderToy fuses. The K3100M supports only CUDA v3.0. The current minimum system requirements for Fusion specify CUDA v10. I would hazard a guess that that's the issue. Certain elements of the GPU-enhanced tools won't compile on the older version of CUDA. If you force OpenCL mode in the prefs, though, it might stop complaining. Or it might not. It depends on what exactly is checking the processor and why.

I can attest, though, that as long as Fusion will start, an unsupported GPU doesn't seem to prevent it from rendering. We installed a bunch of old compact Nvidia cards in our render machines so they'd be able to launch the Fusion render node. The GPUs don't actually do any processing—they're essentially just really big and expensive dongles.

JPDoc
Fusionista

Post by JPDoc »

Thanks Bryan, I'm sure you're right as I've now tested on another machine with a newer GPU and there's no error. And forcing OpenGL on the older machine works (for now) - see my reply on the other shadertoy thread.

http://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckle ... 9125072dd8

JPDoc
Fusionista

Post by JPDoc »

. . . but while I've got your attention, maybe you could clear up something that puzzles me. The nvidia CUDA support matrix page here -
https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

shows even the very recent RTX cards as having a "compute capability" of up to 8.6 and yes my aged K3100M is listed as a 3.0. And as you say BM's own website give the minimum system req for fuStudio as "Cuda 10". When I look at the system information components page of the Nvidia control panel for the K3100M it says is is using "NVCUDA DLL 25.21.14.2678 Nvidia cuda 10.1.353 driver". So I thought that I was using CUDA 10 but I guess I'm mistaken.

So I'm confused. How to you tell what CUDA level your Nvidia card is capable of? Is "compute capability" different than cuda level?

And this page -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

has a chart that seems to say that compute capability 3.0 supports CUDA SDK 10 which to my simple mind would seem to indicate that it should work, but it clearly doesn't. All very confusing . . .

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 28

Post by Midgardsormr »

Hmm... I hadn't looked into it that deeply. That's all a little outside my ken, I'm afraid.

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad »

Compute capability is hardware, CUDA version is software. So an application written with CUDA 10 (which I assume is what BMD is talking about) will enable access to features in GPUs with compute capability 3.0 through 7.5. It doesn't make sense for BMD to list which CUDA version they support, as 1) they're always going to tell users to use the "latest" drivers, 2) officially, users aren't directly accessing the CUDA SDK, and 3) it's not helpful for users trying to determine if their hardware is able to run Resolve or Fusion.

JPDoc
Fusionista

Post by JPDoc »

The BM website does say that Cuda 10 is a requirement (or OpenGL1.2 of course)
fu17req.jpg
and the CUDA wiki page chart says that Compute capability 3.0 is ok for cuda 10 (and lists the K3100M card)
quadroM3100Kc.jpg
quadroM3100Kb.jpg
hence my thinking it should work. But it doesn't, of course. So I don't understand how users can determine if their GPU should work with FuS or not, especially if as Chad says "it's not helpful for users trying to determine if their hardware is able to run Resolve or Fusion". So I'm wondering what IS helpful?

As OpenGL seems to work I'll give up on this soon - I just wanted to know how to determine if the GPU should or should not work with Fu for future ref, as I have a fair few ageing systems lying around and I'm sure this will come up again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad »

They could be using features of CUDA 10 that require compute 7.5. A GPU being supported by CUDA 10 doesn't mean that every feature of CUDA 10 is supported on that GPU, only that applications written with CUDA 10 can run on GPUs with compute capability 3.5. It would be helpful if they clarified that.

99.99% of their customers aren't installing CUDA separately from their display drivers anyway, so they should be specifying driver versions and compute capabilities and not specifying CUDA versions.

JPDoc
Fusionista

Post by JPDoc »

Thanks Chad, I get what you're saying but I still don't understand why the chart from the Wikipedia page in my post says CUDA 10 supports 3.0 (and my card) but you say "applications written with CUDA 10 can run on GPUs with compute capability 3.5", not 3.0. Probably a pointless question, though, if as you say the CUDA level requirement on the BMD page is meaningless because CUDA 10 can be "supported" but not have some of it features also supported. Which I do find pretty odd . . .

PeterLoveday
Fusioneer
Answers: 9

Post by PeterLoveday »

I think the website readme is out of date here, it should show CUDA 11 required since 17.0, like the Resolve download readme does.

I believe the installer readme says CUDA 11 correctly.

As to why it won't pick up OpenCL, I'm less sure about.

JPDoc
Fusionista

Post by JPDoc »

Ah! That makes sense, thank Peter.

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad »

BMD would save themselves some support hours by just publishing the list of supported GPUs that support has on hand anyway and the recommended drivers for each OS.

The number of supported GPUs isn't that large, a few dozen at most, and it would save 5 minutes per user * thousands of users.