Thank you everyone and Happy New Year!

The Thanks scores for 2019 are in, make sure to read all about last year's highlights -> here <- !

Can I render my comp from command line without GUI?

Moderator: SecondMan

inn3rhav0x

Can I render my comp from command line without GUI?

Post by inn3rhav0x » Mon May 01, 2017 10:08 am

Hello all,

This is probably a dumb question. My overall goal is to render as fast as I can on the crappy i5 I'm working on.

Is it possible to render from the cmd line, without the comp opening up fusion?
Back in the days of SHAKE, rendering from the command line was a lot faster because it didn't have to load everything, you could render direct from the cmd line or terminal. I saw renders that would take 4hrs rendering from within shake, take 2 hrs rendering from the terminal.

The second part of this question is, how could I create a 'watch folder' where I can save scripts, that will batch render at a specific time overnight?

pingking
Fusionista

Re: Can I render my comp from command line without GUI?

Post by pingking » Mon May 01, 2017 11:03 am

if you have a studio licences you could use the render node to render without the GUI

you can start fusion from the commandline to render a comp, but this will open a GUI session (afaik).

inn3rhav0x

Post by inn3rhav0x » Mon May 01, 2017 1:03 pm

After further investigation, I come to the same conclusion.

I have found that the script used to be available was called RenderTool.eyeonscript
For fusion 8 they replaced it to RenderTool.Lua

TOOK me a lot longer then I care to admit to realize that this file was available for fusion studio ONLY.

Adelson

Post by Adelson » Mon May 01, 2017 9:52 pm

Even inside Fusion Free, you can still render without most of the GUI through Render Manager (Ctrl-M).
Just load a bunch of comps inside it, and it will begin to render.
Clipboard19.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mclawest
Fusioneer

Post by Mclawest » Tue May 02, 2017 4:20 pm

inn3rhav0x wrote:Hello all,

(...)Is it possible to render from the cmd line, without the comp opening up fusion?(...)

Yes, you can try this.

Adelson

Post by Adelson » Tue May 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Mclawest wrote:Yes, you can try this.
It's amazing that this is possible!

It seems easy to setup a script that performs a network rendering even in Fusion Free

inn3rhav0x

Post by inn3rhav0x » Fri May 05, 2017 11:25 am

Mclawest wrote:
Yes, you can try this.

I've tried that, but yes, that method starts fusion and opens up the comp, it is however very useful in some situations. My situation was I didn't understand that the things I'm trying to do is a feature of the paid version. However, the render manager is something I didn't think about, so I will at least be able to batch render overnight. which is super useful.

BlackRainbow

Post by BlackRainbow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:51 pm

I was trying to test rendering from command line (batch rendering few comps via *.bat file actualy) and it seems that after finishing rendering of first comp fusion does not quit to start next session until the "Rendering Complete" dialog is closed by clicking OK.

This is the command i use:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9\Fusion.exe" "path_to_comp" /render 0 100 /quit
I tried using "/quiet" flag but it does not help. Anyone has any ideas or experience with command line rendering in fusion?

I know i can use fusion's own render manager and i've used it a lot, it works fine, but sometimes when the comps to render overnight are too many and are quite big i like to be sure that rendering will be done even if there will be some issue in some of the comps, rendering of the next comp will start instead of hanging or crashing. I always do my 3d renders (blender) from bat files. I even sometimes set up to render each frame separately. Very safe and only way to kill it is to pull the plug :)

So any ideas?

devhill
Fusioneer

Post by devhill » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:31 am

Yes you can.

We found 3 different (working) modes (GUI included).
Of course these paths ("F:\fu\compname.comp" and "F:\fu\fusion.txt") must be changed based on your system configuration and you have to change the "start" and "end" frame number based on your comp. There are 3 different ".exe" file you have to launch. Fusion.exe / FusionRenderNode.exe / FusionConsoleNode.exe
fusion_commandline.JPG

mode 1
FUSION INTERFACE
This mode will automatically open Fusion and start Render for you. Will close Fusion when render finish.
So it's basically an automation of what you do manually.

PATH
C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9>

COMMANDLINE

Fusion.exe F:\fu\compname.comp /log F:\fu\fusion.txt /cleanlog /verbose /render /start 0 /end 250 /pri below /quit
RENDER RESULT
Render completed successfully at Wed 2:38PM - Total Time: 0h 1m / 20.72s, Average: 3.10 frames/second
fusion.JPG

mode 2
RENDER NODE
This mode will launch the Fusion Render Node only and start Render. The option (/status) open the window for you (as when you click the little icon in the windows bar). Here you have a nice progress bar when render start and will close Fusion Render Node when render finish.

PATH
C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion Render Node 9>

COMMANDLINE

FusionRenderNode.exe F:\fu\compname.comp /log F:\fu\fusion.txt /cleanlog /verbose /render /start 0 /end 250 /pri below /status /quit
RENDER RESULT
Render completed successfully at Wed 2:29PM - Total Time: 0h 1m / 6.57s, Average: 3.76 frames/second
rendernode.JPG

mode 3
CONSOLE NODE
This mode will launch the Render of the comp and you can see the verbose (frame per frame) status directly in the Windows console.

PATH
C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion Render Node 9>

COMMANDLINE

FusionConsoleNode.exe F:\fu\compname.comp /log F:\fu\fusion.txt /cleanlog /verbose /render /start 0 /end 250 /pri below /quit
RENDER RESULT
Render completed successfully at Wed 2:34PM - Total Time: 0h 1m / 5.20s, Average: 3.83 frames/second
console.JPG

CONSIDERATIONS
- higher CPU usage with RenderNode and ConsoleNode modes
- a batch file (file.bat) can be created to automate many comps
taskmanager.JPG

We are also trying to develop a standalone tool to do this by avoiding the use of Windows CMD.
Hope this help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BlackRainbow

Post by BlackRainbow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:01 pm

Wow, that;'s quite an answer! Thanx a lot, man.

For FusionRenderNode and FusionConsoleNode i would have to go Fusion Studio, i guess. No problem for that, i case of need. Option with Fusion.exe (one with GUI) finishes render with popup Render Complete window, which does not close by itself so next render wont start. Maybe that's limitation of free version?

One strange solution would be to use CMD taskkill command, something like this: "C:\>Taskkill /IM Fusion.exe /F" But thats still a separate line in batch file which cant be executed till previous line is done, which isn't till someone clicks ok in render complete popup :)

devhill
Fusioneer

Post by devhill » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:03 am

Is not a limitation of Fusion Free
If you use the Fusion (GUI) mode you can't quit Fusion even using the "/quit" parameter... because of the popup window.
Curiously the popup sometimes doesn't work (because of a fusion bug viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1319) and in this case it works ! But you should understand how to drive the bug ;)

aardschok

Post by aardschok » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:31 am

Hi!

I have been reading the forum for some time but not have been active yet.

After reading this thread and Python Script Snippets I have tested all options and came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a proper standalone Fusion or I am taking a wrong approach, I hope it is the latter.

What I am trying to accomplish is to update a (slap) comp's loaders with the latest image sequences. It will needs the following:
- Run Fusion in standalone (similar to Maya's standalone)
- Load a (slap) comp
- Run a script which updates all my loaders
- Save the comp as a new version
- Render with new version

Preferred approach:

Fusion.exe -script "update_and_version.py"

Current approach I need to take:
- initiate Fusion GUI and run:

FuScript.exe -x -l py2 "update_and_version.py"

Can you provide me with your 2 cents / experience :D