Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

Tutorial - Pulling a perfect key with Fusion

Moderator: SecondMan

theotheo
Fusionista
Answers: 3

Tutorial - Pulling a perfect key with Fusion

Post by theotheo »

How to pull a perfect key.

There are three Loaders and they are connected by two Merges. The first one is for the background images. The second is for the images to be chroma keyed. The third consists of a misty layer to go on top of the other two layers.
keying1.jpg
Drag and drop the CKy (Chroma Key) operator next to the second Loader (row 2, tile2). Open the Chroma Key Function Controls on the right side of the screen by double clicking on the operator in the Flow Control area. Right-click on the Chroma Key operator and choose View on Large from the pop-up menu. Repeat the last step and choose View on Small as well. Right-click in the Small viewing window, on the pop-up menu point to Display and choose Alpha.
keying2.jpg
Note: If necessary we could animate the clipping of the key to compensate for changing lighting conditions.

The Chroma Keyer should be highlighted.

On the Large viewing window click and drag a small rectangle in the blue area that we wish to key out. As you can see on the Small viewing window, a large black area appears around the rectangle area. On the Small viewing window select another rectangular area in the background that remains white. The black area grows. Before we clip any more blue, it will be useful to see how the key looks over the background.

Right-click on the first Merge (row 2, tile 3) and choose View on Large. Now we can see the two figures keyed over the background with a blue edge around them. Click and drag another couple of very small selection rectangles in the middle of the largest blue areas on the Large display. You can also click and drag areas on the Small display and continue adjusting the key on the alpha display. However be careful not to clip too close to the figures.
keying3.jpg
At this point do not clip any more of the blue.

Instead, adjust the Soft Range slider in the Chroma Keyer Function Controls dialogue box. As you move the slider to the right more of the matte becomes transparent or semi-transparent. If you see grey areas appearing inside of the matte over the two figures, you have moved the slider too far to the right and are creating transparent "holes" in your matte. Move the slider back until the matte become solid again (the value next to the slider should approximately be 0.15).
keying4.jpg
Instead of clipping more blue we will "shrink" the matte by using Matte Blur, Matte Contrast, and Matte Gamma.

Matte Blur softens the edges of the matte. A small value around 1.0 is usually best.

Matte Contrast shrinks or enlarges the size of the matte. Negative values shrink the matte. Set the value to around -0.3.

Matte Gamma increases or decreases the middle grey areas of the matte. This is useful for subtly making transparent areas more or less transparent. In this case leave the value at 0.7.

Matte Halo simply desaturates the colour range that is being clipped. Move this slider all the way to the right (1.0). This will subtract any blue remaining around the edge of the matte.

You should have a good key by now, but you can "tweak" the key by either shrinking the ranges on the range sliders (especially Blue Low - High) or by scaling the image up and carefully box selecting more blue pixels.

The colour range sliders should read approximately as follows:

Red Low - High 0.32 - 0.49

Green Low - High 0.44 - 0.53

Blue Low - High 0.62 - 0.86

Luminance Low - High 0.19 - 0.6
keying5.jpg
End of Tutorial. (shamelessly stolen content)

HAPPY FRIDAY FOLKS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Bovine
Double M

Re: Tutorial - Pulling a perfect key with Fusion

Post by Greg Bovine »

theotheo wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:25 am End of Tutorial. (shamelessly stolen content)

HAPPY FRIDAY FOLKS.

Now that is a good Eyeon Fusion tutorial! I wish there were more tutorials like that in the ReFusion 9 built-in PDF documentation. Think what it would do for new user adoption and making things suck less for people. :)

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionator
Answers: 10

Post by ShadowMaker SdR »

I actually did work in that interface.
Pulling a key from that footage is really difficult, let alone a perfect key.
I still have that footage on my drives.

Mclawest
Fusioneer

Post by Mclawest »

woo-hoo! )) same here, have that footage as well as an old fusion's reels and interviews )))

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 31

Post by SecondMan »

Best official Fusion tutorial of 2018.

Ahhh - "View on Large". Funny how that makes me feel nostalgic. :)

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 12

Post by SirEdric »

Rhaaaa....lovely!
The only thing missing is a screenshot of a corkscrew control...:-)

theotheo
Fusionista
Answers: 3

Post by theotheo »

I never got why oh why the GUI would use the god awful textured controls and backgrounds. Surely it takes MORE effort to put that in than using the OS gui controls ?

Kristof
Fusionista
Answers: 6

Post by Kristof »

Where's the link to the actual files, so we can recreate the setup ourselves? A comp would be nice too, to use as a reference.

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 12

Post by SirEdric »

I'm sure I have those files somewhere...
A few of them have been resurrected back then for the Generation Courseware...:-)

pingking
Fusionista

Post by pingking »

i found my old courseware dvd in my cellar, just need to pack it and upload it

pingking
Fusionista

Post by pingking »

here are now 4GB of the old Courseware DVD as download

i will leave the link active until january 1st 2019. Maybe someone will backup it somewhere else

(and i hope i dont get any copyright problems)

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionator
Answers: 10

Post by ShadowMaker SdR »

I doubt it. To get in trouble someone would have to admit in public they made the footage 😎

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl »

I miss fusion 2.5 it is what I learned it on way back in the before-time.
I remember thinking it was very snakes-and-ladders and almost didn't try it because it seemed so odd but I hated AE and its layers.

I sure miss [hint hint] the corkscrew controls too!
...and wish I still had all the test footage from back then, but it all got lost when my computer died ages ago.
sigh

Added in 3 minutes 28 seconds:
can you even install and run fusion 2.5 in windows 10?
O_o
I have an old tiny laptop with a 8" screen that would be suitably perfect for it :P

Added in 54 seconds:
theotheo wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:16 am I never got why oh why the GUI would use the god awful textured controls and backgrounds. Surely it takes MORE effort to put that in than using the OS gui controls ?
that was the style back then. lots of programs had that type of look from what i remember.

Added in 4 minutes 12 seconds:
pingking wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:13 pm here are now 4GB of the old Courseware DVD as download

i will leave the link active until january 1st 2019. Maybe someone will backup it somewhere else

(and i hope i dont get any copyright problems)
unfortunately the zip file doesn't unpack properly :(

pingking
Fusionista

Post by pingking »

andromeda_girl wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:22 amunfortunately the zip file doesn't unpack properly :(
can anybody confirm this? i tried it today and it worked well, maybe the problem is that i made an RAR archive and not a ZIP, maybe a newer version of RAR can unpack it properly?

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 24

Post by Midgardsormr »

I opened it successfully. I used some random free rar program from the Windows 10 store. Dr. Unarchive or something like that. Incidentally, there are a lot of bogus unzippers in the Windows store, and WinRAR finally figured out why nobody ever actually bought their software—its licensing system now actually works.