Thank you everyone and Happy New Year!

The Thanks scores for 2019 are in, make sure to read all about last year's highlights -> here <- !

Fusion 9 and Deadline under Linux?

Moderator: SecondMan

mranim8or

Fusion 9 and Deadline under Linux?

Post by mranim8or » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Has anyone gotten Fusion 9 to work with Thinkbox Deadline under Linux? We are trying to setup a network rendering solution with this type of setup but are having problems. After some minor issues we were able to use Deadline successfully with both Maya and Nuke, but not Fusion.

There is no automatic installer on the Linux side for Deadline's Fusion plugin, so we followed the manual instructions and copied
[Repository]\submission\Fusion\Client\DeadlineFusionClient.eyeonscript to ~/.fusion/BlackmagicDesign/Fusion/Scripts/Comp

When I launch Fusion, it does not show up under the Scripts menu item at the top. If I rename DeadlineFusionClient.eyeonscript to DeadlineFusionClient.eyeonscript.lua it will show up fine. Should I do that?

If I copy the contents of DeadlineFusionClient.eyeonscript into a lua tab and run it, OR if I rename the file to .lua and run it the results are the same....I get an error message saying "...fusion/Scripts/Comp/DeadlineFusionClient.eyeonscript.lua:66: /tmp/deadline_fusion_output.txt: No such file or directory"
If I simply create a fake /tmp/deadline_fusion_output.txt text file the script deletes it when it runs, and then fails out with the same error message.

Thus far we like Deadline a lot, but their plugin implementation on the Linux side appears to be......poor.

pingking
Fusionista

Re: Fusion 9 and Deadline under Linux?

Post by pingking » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:57 am

Eyeonscript was the old filename extension before it was owned by Blackmagic
The current right extension is lua. So, this is already right to rename the file

For more help it would be great to have the actual script and see what happens in line 66

But maybe you should contact deadline support and ask for an updated script by them

mranim8or

Re: Fusion 9 and Deadline under Linux?

Post by mranim8or » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:50 am

Nevermind, I managed to solve it on my own by editing two lua scripts. I don't have much lua experience, but I managed to muddle through.

Basically, the whole problem is happening because there’s a couple of extra quotes in two lines of code. arrrrgh.

Edit DeadlineFusionClient.eyeonscript (renamed to DeadlineFusionClient.lua, as mentioned above)
under ‘RunDeadlineCommand’, line 63 change:

Code: Select all

command = "\"\"" .. deadlineCommand .. "\" " .. options .. " > \"" .. tempFile .. "\"\""
to

Code: Select all

command = "\"" .. deadlineCommand .. "\" " .. options .. " > \"" .. tempFile .. "\""
The exact same needs to be done in SubmitToDeadlineMonitor.lua, line 182.

Also, remember, unlike version 8 Fusion 9 requires you to buy Studio to network render. You need to install the render node onto the machines you need to render to, then point to that executable in the Monitor’s/Configure Plugins/Fusion. It should be something like /opt/BlackmagicDesign/FusionRenderNode9/FusionRenderNode

After you do this, everything should work!