Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

Can Someone explain about H265 HEVC???

Moderator: SecondMan

asifbhushan

Can Someone explain about H265 HEVC???

Post by asifbhushan »

Hi

Looking for Codec that is much better than H264.

I would like to view better quality MOV ( Including Audio) with a decent file size.

I googled about that and found that H265 is the next big thing after H264.

Can Someone explain about this in detail and how can we integrate H265 in Fusion?

Thank You

joergmark
Fusioneer

Re: Can Someone explain about H265 HEVC???

Post by joergmark »

Hi,

I can not explain the exact difference between h264 and h265 - except that h265 can encode video up to much larger formats (I think 8k).

But one thing is sure, it is not an intermediate Format for Compositing because it is an MPEG format. For VFX Work you need a format which has loses compression and retains all color information. this would be something like ProRes or DNXHD. Although Fusion works best with image sequences which have an additional advantage that frame rate is not an relevant - you do not have to think about which frame rate the Videofile has.

All MPEG Formats have I-Frames, B-Frames and P-Frames the I-Frames have a JPEG Compression and the P and B Frames store the differences from one I-Frame to the next. The Larger the GOP (Group of Pictures - distance of frames between I-Frames ) the more the Interpolated Frames have to "guess" what the difference is between the I-Frames. Result -> smaller File - less image information -> inferior quality. Which might not be visible when you watch a movie, but when you try to pull a key this can be a nightmare...

Hope this helps a bit...

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 31

Post by SecondMan »

joergmark wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:45 pmFor VFX Work you need a format which has loses compression and retains all color information. this would be something like ProRes or DNXHD.

Neither ProRes nor DNxHD are lossless or retain all colour information. They would most certainly not satisfy the need for an intermediate format in a VFX pipeline.

JPDoc
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Post by JPDoc »

Although in my experience DNxHD is often used as a format to provide quicktimes of shots to the editorial department for inclusion into the ongoing edit as the quality is reasonable and it has less of the colour and gamma issues often thrown up by other codecs, while in the pipeline the actual vfx work is done using another format which is lossless and frame by frame, often dpx frames or open exr.

But even using DNxHD for that purpose can cause complex colour and gamma problems to arise - see this previous thread

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... xhd#p18569

asifbhushan

Post by asifbhushan »

Thank You all for the information given, got some clear idea.

Well...in that case, I better use DNxHD rather than H264 ???? :|

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 28

Post by Midgardsormr »

How is the file you're creating going to be used? H264/5 is fine for a final format to upload to Youtube, Vimeo, etc. It's also common for sending to a client for review. A final deliverable should be determined by the needs of the production. For a VFX intermediate, don't use a video format at all. A linearized, 16-bit OpenEXR sequence is the way to go. You free yourself from so many problems by removing video containers from your workflow.

edit: Oh, and on the h265 topic: It's a little smaller than h264, generally, supports larger rasters (up to 8k, as joergmark said--264 supports up to 4k), and HDR. Fusion doesn't support 265 out of the box, but you can use the FFMPEG inTool script to do it: https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 363#p10017

Not all software can read h265. I actually have no idea if Fusion can read it or not.

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad »

Honestly, I'm shocked how slowly h.265 has moved on the software side. On my desk I have 5 devices that can encode/decode/both h.265 in hardware. Like consumer level hardware support is more prevalent than professional level software support. So strange...

asifbhushan

Post by asifbhushan »

Midgardsormr wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:17 am How is the file you're creating going to be used? H264/5 is fine for a final format to upload to Youtube, Vimeo, etc. It's also common for sending to a client for review. A final deliverable should be determined by the needs of the production. For a VFX intermediate, don't use a video format at all. A linearized, 16-bit OpenEXR sequence is the way to go. You free yourself from so many problems by removing video containers from your workflow.

edit: Oh, and on the h265 topic: It's a little smaller than h264, generally, supports larger rasters (up to 8k, as joergmark said--264 supports up to 4k), and HDR. Fusion doesn't support 265 out of the box, but you can use the FFMPEG inTool script to do it: https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 363#p10017

Not all software can read h265. I actually have no idea if Fusion can read it or not.
This is only for Client Review purpose and not final out. Final out would be ProRes 4444 or EXR.

I think my query has been answered. Thanks you all :) :) :)