Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

Animate and transforming characters of a text (3d)

Moderator: SecondMan

Nouh

Animate and transforming characters of a text (3d)

Post by Nouh » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:50 am

Hi,

i am new here and fusion (inside DR 15) and I would to know an easy way (no script/marco) to apply simple transformation operations on the letters of a text3d node ?
Using the transform3D node does affect the whole text which I would like to avoid.

Thank you all.

Tags:

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 8

Re: Animate and transforming characters of a text (3d)

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:56 am

Hi and welcome. You can use the Follower modifier for this. I am not sure if there's anything in the manual about this, but you can probably right-click on a text field (with text in it) and then select modify with--> follower. Everything that you animate in there can be applied to either individual letters, words or lines.

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 12

Post by SirEdric » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:24 am

There's also a 5-Part ToolTorial for the Tex+ on Youtube:

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 28

Post by SecondMan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:56 am

Welcome to the forum, and to Fusion, Nouh!

Nouh wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:50 am
I would to know an easy way (no script/marco)

Fusion 101 - a script or macro usually means that a process that is quite complex to do manually, has been made simpler. Much simpler.

Please obliterate any prejudice that using scripts and macros is difficult or considered "advanced" - your Fusion journey will be all the more pleasant that way :)

JPDoc
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Post by JPDoc » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:42 am

+1 to that. I'm a pretty basic programmer but I've found that a very little knowledge of scripting and a very basic knowledge of expressions goes a long, long way in Fusion. Expressions in particular are the bomb, the programme is set up so that just by connecting simple inputs to other inputs using very basic maths you can save yourself tons of boring typing and setup, and occasionally make things happen that will knock you out. For example, from the excellent Simon Ubsbell -

https://library.creativecow.net/article ... asy&page=1

Nouh

Post by Nouh » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 am

SecondMan wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:56 am
Welcome to the forum, and to Fusion, Nouh!

Nouh wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:50 am
I would to know an easy way (no script/marco)

Fusion 101 - a script or macro usually means that a process that is quite complex to do manually, has been made simpler. Much simpler.

Please obliterate any prejudice that using scripts and macros is difficult or considered "advanced" - your Fusion journey will be all the more pleasant that way :)
Thanks.
I am an experienced programmer myself, but for a such an 'basic' task, I thought it could be easily done via the GUI and avoid me write code...
Last edited by Nouh on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 8

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:37 am

Nouh wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 am
I am an experienced programmer myself, but for a such an 'basic' task, I thought that could be easily done via the GUI and avoid me write code...
It can be done in the GUI. Without scripts. Did you look up the Follower modifier like I mentioned? Did you watch all of Eric's ToolTorials yet?
Because the info is there. We all know the UI of Fusion (and especially the UI of ResolveFusion) isn't self explanatory. Everyone here is willing to help you, but you do have to put in some of the work as well.

Nouh

Post by Nouh » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:45 am

ShadowMaker SdR wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:56 am
Hi and welcome. You can use the Follower modifier for this. I am not sure if there's anything in the manual about this, but you can probably right-click on a text field (with text in it) and then select modify with--> follower. Everything that you animate in there can be applied to either individual letters, words or lines.
Thanks,
I'll check that out.

Nouh

Post by Nouh » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Modifying a character of text+ node is quite simple using the 'character level styling'. It seems is doesn't work with text3d node directly (manual page 1283, DR 15).

See attached SC, It weird tough, why (in the viewer) it's possible to select a single character in a text3d ? According to manual (1142, DR) that should do the trick and transform operations should affect only the selected text.

I would like to change let say the 'z' value of the 'e' letter in my example...that should be simple to do like moving the whole text (which works fine)...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Yeah that's a bit of an oddity; any functionality that is not available in Text3D you can set up in Text+ and publish/connect/expression link it.

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 pm

SecondMan wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:25 pm
you can set up in Text+ and publish/connect/expression link it.
Alternatively, RMB on the fully setup Text+ and select Replace Tool -> 3D -> Text3D.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Oooh - clever! :)

Nouh

Post by Nouh » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:57 am

SirEdric wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 pm
SecondMan wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:25 pm
you can set up in Text+ and publish/connect/expression link it.
Alternatively, RMB on the fully setup Text+ and select Replace Tool -> 3D -> Text3D.
Getting progress (copy/pasting settings), but you can't change (x,y,z) axes independently for some chars, which is what I want to do in the first place.
I'll try to get it work without using multi text3d for each character of a word, quite annoying...

Added in 40 minutes 4 seconds:
JPDoc wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:42 am
+1 to that. I'm a pretty basic programmer but I've found that a very little knowledge of scripting and a very basic knowledge of expressions goes a long, long way in Fusion. Expressions in particular are the bomb, the programme is set up so that just by connecting simple inputs to other inputs using very basic maths you can save yourself tons of boring typing and setup, and occasionally make things happen that will knock you out. For example, from the excellent Simon Ubsbell -

https://library.creativecow.net/article ... asy&page=1
Quite impressive. Seems scripting/macro/expressions are the way to build high quality and customisable animations and VFX.

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:02 am

Nouh wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:37 am
Seems scripting/macro/expressions are the way to build high quality and customisable animations and VFX.
Well...you can do without....:-)
But it's much more convenient and faster once you got a hang on expressions & Co.