dare I say it?

Moderator: SecondMan

JPDoc
Fusioneer

dare I say it?

Post by JPDoc » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:15 pm

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/fusion/

maybe Hooray! I'd like to think that BM and G Petty were listening and it's all coming good, fingers crossed.

"Fusion Studio 16 is a major upgrade that brings all of the improvements made to Fusion inside of DaVinci Resolve to the stand alone version of Fusion. You get an updated and more modern user interface, along with dramatically faster performance. All 3D operations are GPU accelerated, making Fusion much more responsive and interactive."

If this is the case then the future of the stand alone version could be looking very good indeed!

But at the risk of pessimism, let's also hope it doesn't mean that the stand alone has been nobbled to match the Resolve version.

Added in 5 minutes 39 seconds:
Oh heck, I just picked up on the previous posting on "Fusion 16". My enthusiasm on reading the announcement got the better of me, it being the first sign of life for a year and a half, and I jumped right in jubilation. Guess I should have known better . . .

th0mas
Fusioneer

Re: dare I say it?

Post by th0mas » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:16 pm

Hmm, maybe now that Fusion is reanimated and might breath without life support, maybe we should consider opening up for new users and use less cryptic titles for our threads?

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by SecondMan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 pm

th0mas wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:16 pm
our threads
Well, if you wish to offer clarity to new users, they are topics, not "threads". Threaded forums are of the model you see at Reddit, for example, when discussions can split off in several branches called threads. WSL is what is called a "flat" forum, where no such branching exists, and the discussions are by convention called topics instead.
JPDoc wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:21 pm
maybe Hooray! I'd like to think that BM and G Petty were listening and it's all coming good, fingers crossed.
I'd like to think so, too. The current beta leaves a lot to be desired still, especially on the UI/UX front, but things are clearly moving. Also interesting to see Fusion Standalone as a paid option only, which I feel helps send a clearer message about its high-end capabilities.

Oddly, what struck me in Grant's speech this morning was how he was putting great emphasis on the user experience, specifically how many clicks it takes to get something done.

Clicks that don't really do anything is "waste", he said (and I would agree!).

Then there is Fusion's current incarnation of the new UI. The one thing it does - and has done since Fusion's integration in Resolve - is that it adds a HUGE amount of clicks everywhere compared to before. Two important examples:

- Multi Button Controls (a very common control in Fusion) are replaced with Drop-down controls. That triples the amount of clicks right there, for no apparent reason (on top of that, it reduces clarity and discover-ability).
- On-Screen Viewer controls are now all hidden behind context menus. That doesn't just triple the amount of clicks, it takes an order of magnitude longer to even figure out what an artist is looking at exactly when they work (arguably the most important thing while working).

Personally I wish they had concentrated more on the effort required to build large and complex comps in the Flow View. But then I have no idea what the plan is.

Anyway, oddness abounds. But it's here, and I think I heard a lot of sighs of relief to see Fusion Standalone continued. Good stuff!

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 3

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:16 am

SecondMan wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 pm
Oddly, what struck me in Grant's speech this morning was how he was putting great emphasis on the user experience, specifically how many clicks it takes to get something done.
Time for one of those snarky comparative videos where you splice the words of someone together with the reality and let things sink in. The power of editing.

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:32 am

Bring on the Muppet!

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:35 am

I'm stil recovering from a cold. This is not a good time for Charlie to join the chorus.
I'm really happy you discovered that the tool bar can be turned off now. This hasn't been always the case, I can tell you.

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:40 am

I'm happy I wasn't invited to party, Sander. Bad for my blood pressure :) Discovered another tiny thing just now that is important when setting up a proper lin workflow: gamma aware color controls checkbox. Never too old to learn.

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:46 am

Kristof wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:40 am
Discovered another tiny thing just now that is important when setting up a proper lin workflow: gamma aware color controls checkbox
I think that might have been there quite a long time already, but I'm not sure.

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:54 am

Probably. Fu 9 at least, didn't bother to go back further yet.

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:47 am

Wish the whole skin was gamma aware. Fusion on a linear display is pretty ugly.

th0mas
Fusioneer

Cream Cake.

Post by th0mas » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:03 am

SecondMan wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 pm
Well, if you wish to offer clarity to new users, they are topics, not "threads". Threaded forums are of the model you see at Reddit, for example, when discussions can split off in several branches called threads. WSL is what is called a "flat" forum, where no such branching exists, and the discussions are by convention called topics instead.
Of course you are absolutely right concerning my incorrect use of the terminology, but it seems you might have missed the point of my comment, so let me elaborate:
We have two topics about Fusion 16, one named "dare I say it?", which is this one, and "NAB 2019 Nothing Fusion?", the opening post of the former even stating not being aware of the later (for rather obvious reasons). So there is some beautiful irony to be found here. (I am not blaming anyone here - each topic started out at a point at which the title was fitting and using the name of the release would have been premature, the questionmark in each case providing evidence for that.)
:idea: So my suggestion would be to name at least one of those topics something along the lines of "Fusion 16 beta", as at some point there will be a gold version at which point we might want to switch quickly forth and back commenting on the different topics without clicking on every cryptic title we suspect of being possibly related. :geek:
(Alternatively we could change the title of the new topic "New Stuff in Fusion Studio 16 - Performance Comparisons" into "Help - dandylions are attacking our base!" just to stay consistent in the manner we communicate about the new release.)

Chad
Fusionator

We're kinda making a point, though...

Post by Chad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:48 am

BMD has developed a well earned reputation for bad releases and confusing information. The fact that people didn't realize there was a new version of Fusion to download is a symptom of that. The topic title just plays with that idea and demonstrates how the system isn't working.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 1

Post by Midgardsormr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:35 am

Also ironic to point it out on a forum called "We Suck Less" hosted at "Steak Underwater." :D