Moderator: SecondMan

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 4

Re: win 10 not recognizing fusion studio dongle

Post by SirEdric » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:33 pm

andromeda_girl wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:58 pm
windows makes a chime sound so it would indicate it knows something is going into it.
I'm so glad we only talk about computers here.....:-)

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:20 am

stop teasing me, Eric!
my fusion stopped almost 3 weeks ago!
:'(

caspardavidfriedrich
Fusioneer

Post by caspardavidfriedrich » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi Andromeda Girl, after five years of working faultlessly, I'm suddenly experiencing Fusion Studio 16 not recognising the dongle on my Mac. How did you resolve your issue? Thanks.

Plyta

Post by Plyta » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:05 pm

Try these utilities: https://usbdeview.en.lo4d.com/windows

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:59 pm

um, after almost a year without it i have still only been able to get it going on my laptop.
i have yet to get a replacement dongle after all this time nor have i been able to get it to be recognized by my desktop.

on christmas eve it'll be an entire year.

:P

super-sucky crap if you ask me, i really don't know what to do about it unless i can bribe one o/f the developers to come to montreal and fix it personally.

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 am

Have you considered just buying a new one, to see if that would solve the problem? I can't imagine being so long without something I need out of principle.

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:37 am

well, no.
-firstly i never envisioned this problem just materializing suddenly and not being fixable for one,
plus BMD said they'd take care of it and that went nowhere.
plus the dongle does work on my laptop
[proving there is nothing wrong with it, and after exhaustive tests, i was able to confirm there is nothing wrong with my desktop machine's usb ports]
lastly, it has been rare for me to even have time to work with it anyway so i figured it's an unpleasant acceptable compromise to at least have it functioning on the laptop until i get it back onto my desktop.

if the symptoms i encountered were the same with @caspardavidfriedrich; it worked fine for years and then for no reason, one day the dongle just plain stopped being recognized. maybe BMD will someday soon finally bring about software licenses and put and end to the dongle. Eyeon was about to go that route when BMD took over and happily put a stop to that advancement.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 3

Post by Midgardsormr » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:26 am

Au, I'm kicking myself for not asking this ages ago, but do you happen to have a Synology NAS? The CloudStation service interferes with Fusion's licensing.

caspardavidfriedrich
Fusioneer

Post by caspardavidfriedrich » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:33 am

Midgardsormr wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:26 am
Au, I'm kicking myself for not asking this ages ago, but do you happen to have a Synology NAS? The CloudStation service interferes with Fusion's licensing.
As mentioned above, I had the same thing happen to me on my MacOS desktop the past few weeks. It still works fine on my laptop. Interestingly BM support said that some 3rd party apps might be interfering with the licensing and mentioned Synology. My question is: Why does it not affect my Resolve Studio dongle? Why would Resolve and Fusion have different licensing procedures? What I find so frustrating is that other than them saying that and simply passing the buck, there is very little that I can do to check the processes running under the hood when I start Fusion up. Can anyone recommend a tool that would do that? On a Mac? Thanks.

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:48 am

that passing the buck response by BMD is an interesting theory.
'3rd party apps might interfere'?
i'd enjoy seeing a full list of known 3rd party apps that 'might' have done this on my machine, considering that literally the machine underwent zero changes yet next morning; only 8 hours later; stopped recognizing the dongle.
the same machine that had been running my fusion dongles for years.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator

Post by Midgardsormr » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:48 am

caspardavidfriedrich wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:33 am
My question is: Why does it not affect my Resolve Studio dongle?
That's an interesting question, and one that I don't know the answer to, but there's a weird symptom for this particular issue: The Synology license block doesn't happen if you start Resolve Studio 15 first, and then Fusion standalone, even if you're using a Fusion dongle. I don't know if the same thing can happen with Resolve 16 or not, but that was what first clued me in that sometimes it's not the dongle itself that's the culprit.

Anyway, Synology CloudStation is the only one I'm aware of that interferes. But if one service can do so, then it's reasonable to assume that others could, too. I submitted that bug report around May or June, I think. I have no idea where it's at in their priority list to fix, or if it will solve problems with more than just CloudStation. Or, indeed, if that issue is even related to the one at hand.

And I should mention that I have only heard of the Synology problem on Windows; I've not yet heard a report of it on MacOS.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:03 am

Midgardsormr wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:48 am
Anyway, Synology CloudStation is the only one I'm aware of that interferes. But if one service can do so, then it's reasonable to assume that others could, too. I submitted that bug report around May or June, I think. I have no idea where it's at in their priority list to fix, or if it will solve problems with more than just CloudStation. Or, indeed, if that issue is even related to the one at hand.
If I had to guess, Synology CloudStation likely claims one of the network port numbers that Eyeon used for passing inter-application messages from the Fusion license process to Fusion Studio, the Fusion Render Manager, and Fusion Render Nodes. This would then make it hard for FuScript/FusionServer to use that port range for its own license checkout process.

For example, TCP/UDP port number used for Fuscript is 1144 which is an officially registered port number. And IIRC there is also usage of TCP/UDP port ranges 49152-49159 too.

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:03 am

can we back up a bit?
considering that i don't use Synology CloudStation at all, what else are we dealing with as a potential culprit?

Midgardsormr
Fusionator

Post by Midgardsormr » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:37 am

@AndrewHazelden, is there any way to probe which ports a service or process is accessing?

If it happens to be the same cause (and there's no evidence that it is—this is just a shot in the dark), then I'd guess that some piece of software did a silent update that night. If we could track down which one it is, then we could possibly circumvent it long enough for Fusion to start.

Possibly using the Selective Start up could help to narrow it down. Using msconfig, you could turn off everything that normally starts with your OS and see if Fusion runs with it all turned off. If so, then you'd just need to narrow it down to a specific program that interferes. If it doesn't, though, that wouldn't necessarily eliminate the possibility of third-party software interference.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:07 am

andromeda_girl wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:03 am
can we back up a bit?
considering that i don't use Synology CloudStation at all, what else are we dealing with as a potential culprit?
Gremlins. Do you keep any in your house? They hate it if you get them wet and are sure to mess with Fusion dongles at night time. :lol:

Failing Gremlins, are you using any USBC to plain USB v3 converters to plug the Fusion dongle into your system?

Also, Thunderbolt based monitor USB hubs have been known to cause Fusion license checkout issues on MacOS systems for example.

AFAIK @Midgardsormr and @Chad have seen more Fusion license dongles that have had flakey issues over the years then I have so I will let them suggest any further troubleshooting steps and solutions. :)