UV Map a simple text

Moderator: SecondMan

mcchicken

UV Map a simple text

Post by mcchicken » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:41 am

I am playing with this for hours now. I know what an UV Map is and how to unwrap models in like "blender" or "maya".
In fusion i just wanted to use a simple text with a simple texture. So i added a UVMap 3d to the 3dtext node. I can not get correct uvs. The best so far was CubeMap. But the sides are still very bad and broken.
Is it just not possible to get a clean unwrap of a simple text? Do you have any tips or tricks? Thank you.
20-01-19--11-39-11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 6

Re: UV Map a simple text

Post by SecondMan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:51 am

There are a few topics about this already, with some good tips:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=175&hilit=text+texture

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=973&hilit=text+texture

mcchicken

Re: UV Map a simple text

Post by mcchicken » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:22 am

Thank you for pointing them out. I will read them now.

Update: As it seems there is no good way. Did not expect this at all.
That takes out all flexibility because every text needs to be unwrapped in a 3td party app like blender.

The only thing, kind of hack, seems to be to use 2 3d texts and extrude one and extrude the second only slightly. Then merge them placing the very thin extrude "as front face", Then the front will be mapped planar and the second spherical.

I did not even try to have it seamless just without totally screwed uvs. I wonder how to work with flexible 3d text at all.
A procedural shader has the same problem. I tried the lizard shader from the examples.

Update. Also interesting
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/view ... 21&t=84599