Floating licensing using dongle?

Moderator: SecondMan

RobertFreitag

Floating licensing using dongle?

Post by RobertFreitag » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:20 am

Hello,
I'm running a render farm scenario on one of the bigger cloud providers.
I mostly render my 3D stuff on there using V-Ray standalone on Ubuntu.
Now I'd like to use fusion render-node as well.

AFAIK the licensing policy is like that: The Dongle needs to be on one computer reachable by every other computer in the TCP/IP subnet.
In the local subnet that of course works great, now I want the cloud instances to have access as well.
I've tried using a Net-to-Net VPN, but I guess the "same subnet" rule does not apply. Now my question is. Can I somehow get it to float?

I remember back in the days with fusion 7 and 8 there was a regular floating license server available even if you only had one license.
I've read somewhere that with fusion 9 you would have to buy 5+ full licenses in order to get a floating license server. Is there any other way?

Thanks for any hint.
-Robert

Tags:

svenneve
Fusioneer

Re: Floating licensing using dongle?

Post by svenneve » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:07 am

We have 5+ dongles, and no floating license for 9 (even after asking them multiple times), I don't think it exists? Luckily we still have our Fu7 floating licenses.
And at this point don't count on it ever being re-introduced, BMD seems to actively not give a f*** about the pro Fusion community.

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:01 am

There certainly *are* floating licenses available.
I agree, BMD is quite silent about it (and even resellers sometimes don't know), but if you ask the right people, you'll get what you need.
In most cases it's packs of 10 though (over are the times with 1000 licenses on a single dongle...:-)),
but you can run multiple 10Pack Dongles on a single server.

pm me if you need help with getting floating lics
Last edited by SirEdric on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 am

Wondering if something like this would work:
https://www.seh-technology.com/us/produ ... rvers.html

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:14 am

I'm even wondering, if any odd powered USB Replicator won't do as well.
The BMD licensing scheme seems pretty 'forgiving' in that case...

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:22 am

Would that work for the issue @RobertFreitag mentioned? I'd think there would still need to be software installed in the cloud systems that can replicate a remote USB device over the network. Then there would need to be at least one instance in the cloud that is pulling that replicated usb license and all the render nodes would then theoretically work.

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:39 am

The way it seems to work is, that if you plug 2 Fusion Dongles into a single machine,
the Fusion Aboot Screen should show 2 Licenses available.
I don't happen to have multiple 10 Packs (not even a sixpack...:-)) to test with,
but I know for sure that a multitude of those could be plugged into the appropriate number of USB Slots on a single machine.
So 3 10Packs would allow 30 copies of Fusion to be run from the same server.
The LicenseServer comes with every copy of Fusion.
Again...can't test...but if multiple Dongles would work on multiple USB ports, why wouldn't they on a replicator?
In terms of cloud, it should be a matter of 'just' (hahaha!) allowing the right ports to go through the right portals into the GreatUnknown from whereth thej shouldth be reachesth thy licensenthed servereth.

Added in 15 minutes 8 seconds:
However, looking at the cost of leasing a *really beefy* workstation
plus the cost of leasing a dozen not too shabby render nodes today,
subtracting anything like ftp traffic, data privacy, being dependent on someone else's service, licensing issues (qed), etc
makes me wonder if running you local renderuniverse wouldn't be the better choice in the end....

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Seriously though, BMD should simply offer software licenses for their products. Imagine the 100 dongle array in that bright future we all wish for Fusion...

I'm actually going to send them an email about that today tomorrow...

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:53 pm

Totally true.
The old 'one dongle plus one licensefile to determine the number of seats' scheme wasn't too bad actually...:-)
Good luck with your mail.

theotheo
Fusionista

Post by theotheo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:48 pm

You need atleast 10 lics tied to a dongle for floating lics to be available. I have 1x 10x dongle and a 1x single lic dongle and only the 10x one can serve the network.

svenneve
Fusioneer

Post by svenneve » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:03 am

Wow, my angry rant just gave me more information then I ever have gotten from our reseller or BMD directly since they took over Fusion.
BMD really needs to work on their outward communication, and maybe inform their resellers (then again, our reseller doesn't seem to sell Fusion anymore, just Resolve, which gives me even more doubts on ever seeing a new Fusion version.)

RobertFreitag

Post by RobertFreitag » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Woohw! Thank you for the massive amount of replies and sorry for not answering more quickly.

@intelligent machine Thank you for the tip. That would actually have been the next thing to try in case I would not get any more information from someone here. What I've tried as far as software goes is this (from different software providers), yet I did not have any luck with it:

https://www.fabulatech.com/usb-over-network.html
https://www.fabulatech.com/usb-for-remote-desktop.html

@SirEdric
Thank you for your reply. First I want to address costs for cloud VMs:
It is absolutely true that a beefy workstation looks expensive at first, yet I've been tinkering with my render farm cloud scenario for quite a while now and I've got it to a point where it is very affordable. The two key factors are Linux and so called "Preemptive machines" (google term) or "spot instance" (AWS term). So if you run a Linux preemptive machine on google compute engine the hourly price is less than 0.50€ for a 64 core machine with >50gb ram. That in my opinion is very affordable.

Now as I said above, I'm a one-man-show and I only have one dongle with one license. If I could get a floating license server to work that would be FANTASTIC. The thing is, if I would need to buy 10+ (or however many licenses for it) that would not make much sense for me because it's money down the drain that I would like to spend on other stuff. :-) Remember I would not need a cloud workstation, I would just like to use cloud vms as render nodes for fusion (using the linux version). The necessary data is synced 24/7 anyways so no FTP-forth-and-back transferring would be needed.

Thank you for the replies!

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Oh I see. So local Studio license with cloud render nodes. Interesting setup...

At the very least you're going to need a static IP (or dyndns) and port routed to your Studio machine. Without a VPN that's probably not a good idea (or even possible?)...

Can your cloud instances do VPN? If they're Linux then presumably getting OpenVPN client on there and connecting to your VPN server would be doable... ? Maybe?