Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

OpenCL: better On or Off?

Moderator: SecondMan

garuda

OpenCL: better On or Off?

Post by garuda » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi there,

I started experiencing some sudden crashes and I think I read that in some cases OpenCL can be the reason.
I temporarily switched it off just to see if there's any improvement although now I'm wondering if by turning the OpenCL off is going to have any effect on the performance.

My system specs:
Windows 10x64
Threadripper 1950X
64GB ram
dual GTX 1080ti

After some initial test, I can't say I'm noticing a big difference in terms of speed, but since I'm still getting my feet wet with Fusion and thus dealing with simple comps, I'd rather have some feedback from the experienced users on this forum.

Thanks,
Piero

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 18

Re: OpenCL: better On or Off?

Post by Midgardsormr » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:10 am

In Fusion 9 you're not likely to notice a difference except in a few cases—Defocus and Vector Motion Blur, for instance, get substantial boosts. But many nodes are actually slower with OpenCL enabled (not so much that you'd really notice, but it is measurable). In Fusion 16, GPU acceleration makes a much larger difference, but you'd likely be running on CUDA there.

garuda

Re: OpenCL: better On or Off?

Post by garuda » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:57 am

Midgardsormr wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:10 am
In Fusion 9 you're not likely to notice a difference except in a few cases—Defocus and Vector Motion Blur, for instance, get substantial boosts. But many nodes are actually slower with OpenCL enabled (not so much that you'd really notice, but it is measurable). In Fusion 16, GPU acceleration makes a much larger difference, but you'd likely be running on CUDA there.
Then I guess it makes sense to turn it off anyway, as long as I'm using F9.
I'll check the GPU power again when v16 will be available.

Best,
Piero