Hello 2021!

Advanced Grid Warping and Particles

Moderator: SecondMan

inakito

Advanced Grid Warping and Particles

Post by inakito »

Hi guys,
I am looking at a reel:

And I'm wondering how to sort the shots appearing on 00:07 and 00:40, 100% inside Fusion Studio. May this be possble or may I need something like Maya or Houdini to go along?

Any ideas, workflows, or examples? I understand that some 3d camera tracked may be needed, plus some advanced warping and particle-based on geometry or tracked points, and then some magic compositing trickery :)

Thanks in advanced

TheBloke
Fusioneer
Answers: 1

Re: Advanced Grid Warping and Particles

Post by TheBloke »

FYI this is what we see on the video you linked:

Millolab
Fusionista
Answers: 4

Post by Millolab »

TheBloke wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:06 am FYI this is what we see on the video you linked:
If you click the "Watch on VIMEO" button you'll be able to watch the video.

TheBloke
Fusioneer

Post by TheBloke »

Oh, sorry! I see it now.

inakito

Post by inakito »

TheBloke wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:06 am FYI this is what we see on the video you linked:
I guess its a limitation from the owner of the video, but you can play from the link without trouble within Vimeo.

TheBloke
Fusioneer

Post by TheBloke »

Yup I see that now - sorry for the confusion!

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 22

Post by Midgardsormr »

It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to get an adequate camera track with Fusion alone. We do these kinds of shots at Muse frequently, and the first step is always tracking the head (or other body parts) with PFTrack. For something like the burning skin, it's important that you get the camera and surface motion independent, so that the smoke will move correctly.

The teeth thing would possibly be easier with an "inverted" track, where the head geometry is stationary and the camera moves around it instead. When you do that, you generally need to parent the lights under the camera so the entire world is moving. The result will be the same as if you had a stationary camera and moving geometry.
http://www.bryanray.name/wordpress/face ... nd-fusion/

Anyway, the eye glow is pretty easy to do in 2d. Track the irises and apply the data to both the new iris color and rotomattes to handle the eyelids. Teeth would almost certainly have to be 3d, and you won't be able to build good geo in Fusion—you're going to need a dedicated 3d package for that. You could certainly animate, shade, light and render in Fusion, though. We did that for many of the culebra fangs in From Dusk Til Dawn. Case study:
http://www.bryanray.name/wordpress/soft ... ic-fusion/

Burning skin can be done in Fusion, but it's hard to get that thick, black smoke that looks nice. Not impossible, but it's easier to do in other software. We do that kind of thing with FumeFX + Particles in 3DS Max, but you could get similar results in Houdini or Maya. Probably in Blender, but I've had no exposure to its FX animation tools.

inakito

Post by inakito »

Thanks for answering Bryan, lots of info to process, and really amazed with the soft-skinned tool you guys developed at Muse VFX.
I am re-reading your post and trying to get all the info processed, but some doubts come to my mind:

By "inverted track" you mean stabilizing the shot and getting the head "fixed"(centered on screen) so all paintings and modifications can be easily done, and then apply the track movement inverted back again to see the shot as it was originally? or are you referring to a camera track and reproducing the scene in 3D?

I am using a hybrid pipeline with Lightwave 3D and Houdini, when needed, mainly for Fluid Dynamics, Volumes, Particles, and Rigids, or Soft Bodies, so I'm more familiar with FX animation tools than actual compositing, as I have been more of my time involved in Pre Comp than compositing.

I feel like changing this now and looking into compositing more seriously for the last year, so I can open my range of services to offer to clients.
I am really interested in seeing how far compositing can be pushed, and therefore my questions :)

Thanks again and the pleasure to meet you around here.

(I recently started reading your guides ("The Book") and actually learning lots, really pleased you shared with us.)

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 22

Post by Midgardsormr »

inakito wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:23 pmBy "inverted track" you mean stabilizing the shot and getting the head "fixed"(centered on screen) so all paintings and modifications can be easily done, and then apply the track movement inverted back again to see the shot as it was originally? or are you referring to a camera track and reproducing the scene in 3D?
I refer to the 3d camera track. Take a good look at the animated gif in the article I linked; that should make it clear. The trick is that, from the perspective of the viewer, a camera moving around a stationary head is visually identical to the head moving in front of a stationary camera if the lights are parented to the cam. You can't always get away with that kind of thing—the burning skin for instance won't look right due to the smoke and embers, and you'd be limited if you wanted to do a texture projection. But for things like those teeth it works great.

inakito

Post by inakito »

Midgardsormr wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:42 pmI refer to the 3d camera track. Take a good look at the animated gif in the article I linked; that should make it clear.
I've got it now, thanks so much for helping to understand.
Really interesting links too, but will need some time to process all as there is plenty of info in there.