Parallel Dongle on Modern Computer?

Moderator: SecondMan

Chris Frechette

Parallel Dongle on Modern Computer?

Post by Chris Frechette » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:35 pm

I'm currently using AE CS6 for my compositing needs, but have been considering switching to Fusion for the past several months. I currently would like to wait until we hear what is happening with it under BMD. I have an old DFX+ license that I received as part of the Lightwave bundle years ago. I thought I might install that and play around with it a little to get a better idea of how to work in Fusion. Does anyone know if the HASP parallel dongle will function on a modern computer with a bi-directional parallel to usb converter or a PCI-e parallel card?

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Parallel Dongle on Modern Computer?

Post by SecondMan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:34 pm

I would fork out the 50 or so dollars it costs to have it replaced with a USB dongle. That way you can take the license with you easily, run Fusion on your laptop, etc.

Also, get an eval license from Eyeon, don't play around with DFX+. That's now so old, it's not even relevant anymore. Fusion has progressed so, so much since then. Comparing DFX+ with AE CS6 wouldn't make you feel like switching to Fusion anytime soon :D

You might not even be able to install it on a recent version of Windows.

And welcome to the lands of Fu! You'll like it here - it sucks less ;)

Chris Frechette

Post by Chris Frechette » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:54 am

It was about $200 to get a new dongle when I checked into the upgrade costs a few months ago. Also, the trial only lasts like 15 days or something. I know dfx would be pretty terrible compared to AE. At the time I got it, it was lacking enough features that I never bothered installing it. I just figured that it would have still let me get used to some of the interface basics and how to construct node flows, unless those are even that different now?

Tilt
Global Moderator

Post by Tilt » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:00 am

There should be a learning edition that's not an eval and thus isn't time limited. But it renders a watermark and you can't use plugins.

Edit: Here's the Learning Edition request form. I hope, you'll get one for 7.0 when you sign up :-) It doesn't say so anywhere.

I like what the foundry does with their Nuke PLE... you just download the software and if you don't have a license (or even if you have floating licenses in your company but they're all taken) it asks you to start in "learning edition" mode where it renders watermarks and you can't use some features.

Gilles Giordan

Post by Gilles Giordan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Tilt wrote: Edit: Here's the Learning Edition request form. I hope, you'll get one for 7.0 when you sign up :-) It doesn't say so anywhere.
Apparently, this link points to the 6.4.0.1118 learning edition.
The Fusion 7 link seems to be http://eyeonline.com/EyeonEvaluationDownload.html

Cheers

Gil
------------
Edit :
I completed the form and it said to me :

"Your form could not be submitted for the following reason(s):
type of Eval Request doesn't have a valid value."

Even if I checked it several times with the "Fusion 7 Eval request" value. May be I did something wrong but I don't know what... My Mac address is good. So...

I checked my mail and I received five times (the former "several times") :
"Thank you for your eyeon evaluation license request. You will receive an evaluation license shortly by email"

I'll keep you posted but I guess Tilt is right with nuke's evaluation method :)

Chris Frechette

Post by Chris Frechette » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Didn't realize Fusion had a PLE. Not sure how I looked that over before. Thanks.