In the olden days, producers knew what visual effects were. Now they’ve gotten into this methodology where they’ll hire a middleman – a visual effects supervisor, and this person works for the producing studio.
They’re middle managers. And when you go into a review with one of them, there’s this weird sort of competition that happens.

It’s a game called ‘Find What’s Wrong With This Shot’. And there’s always going to be something wrong, because everything’s subjective. And you can micromanage it down to a pixel, and that happens all the time. We’re doing it digitally, so there’s no pressure to save on film costs or whatever, so it’s not unusual to go through 500 revisions of the same shot, moving pixels around and scrutinizing this or that.

That’s not how you manage artists. You encourage artists, and then you’ll get – you know – art.

If your idea of managing artists is just pointing out what’s wrong and making them fix it over and over again, you end up with artists who just stand around asking “OK lady, where do you want this sofa? You want it over there? No? Fine. You want it over there? I don’t give a fuck. I’ll put it wherever you want it.” It’s creative mismanagement, it’s part of the whole corporate modality. The fish stinks from the head on down. Back on Star Wars, Robocop, we never thought about what was wrong with a shot.

We just thought about how to make it better.

Phil Tippett

Fusion Preferences

Moderator: SecondMan

Kristof
Fusionista

Fusion Preferences

Post #1 by Kristof » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:04 am

Looking at managing my preferences, and am having a few questions. Noticed that Fu 7 will update the preference located here: C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\Fusion7.prefs

While Fu 8 will do that in another location:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\Fusion.prefs

Although there is a Fusion8.prefs file located in the ProgramData subfolder, but this is not being used?

Also experimenting with symbolic links so I can store the prefs in one location. In doing so, I found out that Fusion will break the link somehow. What operation is actually being performed when the preferences are being changed? Does it rewrite the filename and thus break the link? Can this be avoided?

DanielKoch

Re: Fusion Preferences

Post #2 by DanielKoch » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:19 pm

Yeah, Fusion saves new prefs to Fusion.pref1, then renames things. This is done to avoid any chance of accidentally corrupting your prefs.

I'd be careful about sharing prefs files between versions, though - they're different enough that we decided to separate Fu7 & Fu8's prefs deliberately.

Kristof
Fusionista

Post #3 by Kristof » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for taking the time to respond (contacted support but they couldn't help me). Much appreciated. I renamed the default prefs, to see if they would be recreated by Fusion and that's how I noticed the different behavior between Fu7 and Fu8.

If you're using version specific files, there won't be a conflict. but the pref file that Fu 8 actually recreates doesn't have a versioning applied and the location looks generic enough. Wouldn't that cause problems in the future? And am I right about Fusion 8 ignoring the Fusion8.prefs file (once removed, it will not be recreated by the application)?

DanielKoch

Post #4 by DanielKoch » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:01 pm

Fusion8.prefs would be left over from an earlier beta, IIRC, and is not used. Generally prefs are fairly forward-compatible; we haven't yet needed to go to a full pref versioning system, though we've used FusionN.prefs in the past.

I don't believe there's any critical prefs changes for Fu8 if you really wanted to share them, but you might want to first compare default Fu7 & Fu8 prefs to see what the differences are, as some behaviour has changed a little.

Kristof
Fusionista

Post #5 by Kristof » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 pm

Ah, I see. I did have a 8 beta installed before. I'll also compare to see what has changed--like you suggested, thanks.

To push this topic a little further. What I really like about Modo for example, is that I can have additional configs (preferences) that will be picked up by the application. These will override the settings that you might have in your main / default config. And having them seperate will allow me to organize them by topic (keymaps, filmback settings, presets, etc) and a new version of Modo will also load them rightaway. That's what I'm after in the end, not having to set prefs time after time whenever there is a new release.

DanielKoch

Post #6 by DanielKoch » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:56 pm

This is probably the first time in 12 years that we haven't kept users' prefs going forward, so you can expect it won't happen often. But multiple prefs files is actually already possible, using the FUSION_MasterPrefs env var as described in our fine manual here.

You can create multiple prefs files, each with a subset of prefs, put their absolute paths (semicolon-separated) in the FUSION_MasterPrefs environment variable, and they will all add to/override the prefs in Fusion.prefs. Note that any prefs changes will still be saved to Fusion.prefs, which might be overridden and therefore have no apparent effect, so you can mark some or all as Locked.

Other possibilities are to use a startup Lua script that loads & merges multiple prefs files & writes them out to Fusion.prefs before starting Fusion, or an in-app script that does something similar. Could even have the same script do post-run actions that pick up changes in Fusion.prefs and copy relevant values back to the appropriate source files.

Kristof
Fusionista

Post #7 by Kristof » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:24 am

Thanks again, Daniel! I'll look into it.

Kristof
Fusionista

Post #8 by Kristof » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:46 pm

DanielKoch wrote:You can create multiple prefs files, each with a subset of prefs, put their absolute paths (semicolon-separated) in the FUSION_MasterPrefs environment variable, and they will all add to/override the prefs in Fusion.prefs.

Appears to be broken in Fusion 8.2 build 10? Does work in Fusion 7.7.1 build 0.

Related links worth checking out:
http://pigsfly.com/index.php?/topic/6258-shared-studio-macros-folder/
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35628
Last edited by Kristof on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterLoveday
Fusioneer

Post #9 by PeterLoveday » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Try FUSION_MasterPrefs8

Kristof
Fusionista

Post #10 by Kristof » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:53 am

PeterLoveday wrote:Try FUSION_MasterPrefs8

Works nicely, thanks!

Kristof
Fusionista

Post #11 by Kristof » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:22 am

Is there a way to have the HiQ button enabled by default, using preferences? Most users new to Fusion forget to turn it on.
I can only see it in a comp file:

Code: Select all

HiQ = true,

jirka

Post #12 by jirka » Wed May 10, 2017 12:51 am

Kristof wrote:Is there a way to have the HiQ button enabled by default, using preferences?

HiQ = true,

I am looking for the same, so far no joy...

J

DanielKoch

Post #13 by DanielKoch » Thu May 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Sorry, I missed this question earlier.

There's no pref for HiQ, but it is an attribute that can be set with a script command:

comp:SetAttrs{COMPB_HiQ = true}

If you'd like this to be always set, you can add it to a .scriptlib file in your Scripts: dir, say Scripts:HiQ.scriptlib, where it will be auto-executed for every comp that is created or opened. If you only want to force HiQ on for new comps, make it conditional on e.g. the comp's filename:

if comp:GetAttrs().COMPS_FileName == "" then
   comp:SetAttrs{COMPB_HiQ = true}
end

jirka

Post #14 by jirka » Fri May 12, 2017 8:33 am

Great, thank you! Works nicely.

pingking
Fusionista

Post #15 by pingking » Fri May 12, 2017 10:32 am

@DanielKoch:

can you also give some information about the former Events in Fusion, they seem not to work any more