Fusion 7

Moderator: SecondMan

Tilt
Global Moderator

Re: Fusion 7

Post by Tilt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Even worse, Pieter has made video tutorials with a new build that hasn't been released for everybody. The latest build I have is 1420 and they said that this was gonna be the last one before the final release. But that info could well have been from before the BMD deal was struck.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 5

Post by SecondMan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:22 pm

What would the difference be between a "final release" and the version that's available now?

I mean, they could name this one the final one, and then you'd get bugfix releases or whatnot, but in the end it would be just the name that's different. Fusion's development is ongoing anyway.

Or is it just a psychological thing? :)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:31 pm

Tilt wrote:Even worse, Pieter has made video tutorials with a new build that hasn't been released for everybody. The latest build I have is 1420 and they said that this was gonna be the last one before the final release. But that info could well have been from before the BMD deal was struck.
And the build in the IBC videos is even newer than that one :)

The thing is that I'm a beta tester. That also means I'm willing to use versions of the software that could cause issues on actual work. I have had versions that lost me a sizeable chunk of work on KAK, for example. But then I report that back to Eyeon and thanks to those KAK is now even better, and Fusion with it.

One thing I learned while doing KAK as well, is that you can't really say how many versions it will be before a final one. That's just marketing speak. I have even done multiple new versions of KAK while I was recording the tutorials because I ran into bugs. And that's just a Macro, let alone an application the size and depth of Fusion.

Tilt
Global Moderator

Post by Tilt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:22 am

Depends on whether 1420 is time-bombed or not. But even those "GC" releases were all quite unstable. I think we just want progress and a rapid release cycle :-)

The day of the "final" 7.0 would also be important for those who have extended their subscription during that special offer that will extend it by the days they had to wait for Fusion 7... like this poor soul :-)

ata

Post by ata » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:04 am

Tilt wrote:The day of the "final" 7.0 would also be important for those who have extended their subscription during that special offer that will extend it by the days they had to wait for Fusion 7... like this poor soul :-)
We walk in the same shoes. I just hope BM won't take it back, we really count on that promo.
My other question in my mind is that will they send a new license automatically or we'll have to ask for it and remind them to their promotion? :?
I'm optimistic so looking forward to see what come.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:15 am

So if I understand correctly, the longer it takes for the final 7 to be released, the better it is? :)

I agree with wanting rapid progress. I can't wait to see what's cooking next, myself!

Tilt
Global Moderator

Post by Tilt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:57 am

SecondMan wrote:So if I understand correctly, the longer it takes for the final 7 to be released, the better it is? :)
True :)

French_Fry
Fusionista

Post by French_Fry » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:12 pm

SecondMan wrote:So if I understand correctly, the longer it takes for the final 7 to be released, the better it is? :)

I agree with wanting rapid progress. I can't wait to see what's cooking next, myself!
I think it might be easier for you since you're on the beta team..you see the progress, even small things, where as the general users don't. They only see leaps over longer lapses of time. It really isn't about the reality of the development..but the perception. When you see the list of changes in 7, it's crazy..I mean a lot of things have been fixed or updated. That's the reality. The perception is everyone thinks Fusion hasn't evolved in 2 years, and that's because people aren't getting their hands on it. So it will definitely get better...for sure, but better than what..for a lot of people, it's better than an over 2 year old version.

I'm not ranting or anything..I just think different people has different perspectives based on where they are at and what they expect.

pingking
Fusionista

Post by pingking » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:09 pm

my perspective is a total different one.
there is now all this buzz around fusion and a new version of it. but nobody can see/test/use it besides you already are a fusion user.

if someone is now thinking "well, there must be something about this fusion thing if BMD see future in it". this person goes to the poor eyeon website and all you see/get is a 2 year old version of a software

(and i dont have a subscription so i cant see whats new and great about fusion7)

sensory jam

Post by sensory jam » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:15 pm

I started using Resolve fairly soon after the BMD acquisition, and witnessed a lot of the changes first hand. At the time DaVinci was near bankruptcy, and I think almost everyone agrees the somewhat Apple-like turnaround of the company has been pretty amazing. BMD will likely do the same thing with Eyeon, and if you'd like some insight, this Fxguide article is a very good read:

http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/black ... confirmed/

One thing to understand right away, Grant doesn't play around. He takes action very quickly, is rarely wrong, and has little patience for anything that doesn't lead directly to hard results. To a certain extent this has lead to "casualties for the greater good" in his past endeavors.

What that means is that any "promos", prior deals, or expenditures by anyone before the Eyeon purchase will get little consideration as they were not BMD's doing. If there are real contracts, they will be honored, but no more than that, and if they interfere with any new thinking they will be dissolved as quickly as possible.

Also, the big one: price drop. A base Resolve before the DaVinci buyout was ~$200-250K. Soon after it became $1000. I don't know what Grant will decide to charge for Fusion, but my guess would also be $1000, possibly $500 or less, with a somewhat limited free version later on to generate widespread adoption.

Second point: BMD is a first and foremost a hardware company. They are just like Apple; they sell software as a loss-leader for hardware. With Resolve, that created a tremendous coup in that even though AJA had been the pre-eminent video I/O card maker up to that point, that changed almost over night. Most post-production apps are fine running either AJA or BMD cards, but with Resolve only supporting BMD, and the draw to use it so great, companies began switching to Decklinks in order to take advantage of it.

But, this time there is a difference because compositing doesn't always demand SDI monitoring in the way the grading and finishing do. There has to be a hardware tie-in. So, while Fusion will probably live on, the future will really pivot around building the Fusion-Resolve ecosystem into something similar to those that already exist, like Flame Premium/Flare, Mistika/Mamba, and Nuke Studio/Nuke X.

Overall, there's no doubt this is all very positive for Fusion. If there was ever a way for Eyeon to take on the Foundry, this is it. If I were to guess what will happen next, we'll probably see some initial integration (project sharing/ roundtrip/ dynamic link) by NAB 2015. The big hit will come either at IBC 2015 or more likely NAB 2016, in the form of a version for OS X, as well as a Fusion-based 3D and compositing environment in Resolve, with Fusion continuing to be developed as a companion compositing application.

The two apps together will lay the foundation for a Resolve Studio of sorts, which if history is any indicator, will be so powerful and affordable, it will draw converts that never would have even considered Fusion as an option before.

Tilt
Global Moderator

Post by Tilt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:02 pm

sensory jam wrote: The two apps together will lay the foundation for a Resolve Studio of sorts, which if history is any indicator, will be so powerful and affordable, it will draw converts that never would have even considered Fusion as an option before.
That would be nice because I think most of us had hoped for a nice editing/grading/compositing suite when Generation was announced... but it never really materialized.

th0mas
Fusioneer

Post by th0mas » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:12 am

Are there any news on existing Dimension subscriptions?

Edit: Okay, that has solved itself. As much as the Generation subscription. :lol: