Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

Why does the forum log me out?

danell
Fusioneer

Re: Why does the forum log me out?

Post by danell »

What solved it to me was to go to Firefox settings and manually remove all WSL cookies. Now I'm not being logged out any longer :)

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 9

Post by ShadowMaker SdR »

SecondMan wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:37 pm Nothing has changed on the forum side since we last chatted, sir.
I wasn't implying that. Just reporting my findings. And for me being logged out *while* browsing the site is new.
Also, WSL is - so far - the only forum/BB where this happens, so I think it's a combination of my system and all the customizations you've put into the site that makes this happen. But since WSL is so much more advanced and 'prettig' to work in, I'm taking it 'voor lief'. ;-)
Did you try everything I posted above?
Yup. I think I did. Cleaned the cookies, went into the User CP, unchecked everything, rechecked everything. So I think I covered everything.
One more thing - this is Firefox, right?
Yup.
Try running it in safe mode and see if that helps anything.
Will do. It's so weird and I'm not asking for you to do a deep dive or anything if I'm - more or less - the only one experiencing this.
I thought maybe the 'session expired' error would help in pinpointing the cause.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 30

Post by SecondMan »

ShadowMaker SdR wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:18 amBut since WSL is so much more advanced and 'prettig' to work in, I'm taking it 'voor lief'.
Thank you thank you :)
ShadowMaker SdR wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:18 amWSL is - so far - the only forum/BB where this happens
I don't doubt it. There may well be security measures here that are more stringent than typical. Why any of those would cause such an inconsistent difference for you in particular, I don't know. I do know that they have made a big difference for the stability of the site over the years that I've finetuned them. They are a necessity to deal with the bots and crawlers that sometimes cause enormous amounts of traffic. I'm not exactly nostalgic for the all-nighters I've spent talking to my host's systems support and blocking individual bots by hand while WSL was offline.

Do let me know your safe mode findings. You can also try disabling content blocking for steakunderwater.com.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 30

Post by SecondMan »

danell wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:14 am What solved it to me was to go to Firefox settings and manually remove all WSL cookies. Now I'm not being logged out any longer :)
And thank you for the report - that's good to hear :)

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 9

Post by ShadowMaker SdR »

Hi Pieter,

Starting in safe mode has worked well so far. I think I'll go and try to see if the disabling content blocking makes a difference, because the other items that they mention in the docs are almost all technically related (crashes, sites that function badly etc) None of this is going on here, so I'm suspecting the tracking/blocking/etc features play a part in it.