Thank you everyone and Happy New Year!

The Thanks scores for 2019 are in, make sure to read all about last year's highlights -> here <- !

The Suck Less Bug Tracker (Unofficial)

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 12

The Suck Less Bug Tracker (Unofficial)

Post by SecondMan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:15 pm

Hey all,

As happy as I am to see progress from the BMD team, we have another release without a change log or a decently organised way to report and keep track of bugs.

I can't do anything about the first but I think I can help set up something better for the latter. Already BMD's feedback subforum is filling up with beginner's questions that aren't bugs and I have the feeling it's just going to be a mess very quickly.

So I set up the Suck Less Bug Tracker, to help us organize things a little better.

I don't want this to become any kind of official channel, just a place where we can keep track of things ourselves in a more organised way alongside BMD's associative streams.

Enjoy! :)

Farmfield
Fusionista

Re: The Suck Less Bug Tracker (Unofficial)

Post by Farmfield » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:24 am

With the hope of not being kicked out of the forum, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I think this is a really bad idea.

First off I'd say a forum environment is a really bad way to setup a bug tracker, people should use bug trackers to track bugs - like JIRA...

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

The next problem is, as much as you have BMD staff roaming this forum, the whole idea of a bug tracker is to aid the software developers, not the users, per se. Now, if you have a bug tracker for KAK and/or other plugins developed by people at this forum, great, but for Fusion itself, I really don't see the point or how that will benefit us or the BDM dev's...

Oh, and I'm the guy who always tries to look at things positively, hehe, so sorry for being the party pooper (like Jennifer) in this case...

Miltos
Fusionista

Post by Miltos » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:37 am

I think that since BMD doesn't have an official page of 'Known Issues' or a (F@%ing) changelog this is a great idea!

Let's start adding what we find here so that other users can have a helpful reference list!

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:34 am

We'll tell people on the other forum they can report bugs here!

(Please don't)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:39 am

:mrgreen:

Wouldn't it be a little strange if you'd be kicked off for voicing your opinion on a discussion forum? :)

I AGREE that using a forum as a bug tracker is an astonishingly bad idea (coincidentally I am using JIRA on a daily basis - I also know how much it costs. ;))

BUT, if you'd insist on doing it with a forum, as BMD seems to be doing, the whole point of this exercise is to show that it can be done so much better with almost no effort at all.

A half decent bug tracking system is not just for developers, mind you. It's also to make sure people are aware of the status of the software they rely on. When running into an issue that looks weird, a place to see if it hasn't been reported as a bug, etc...

See, I'm all for helping out BMD and giving them the info they need etc, but it's not like they are a helpless little startup and already their "feedback subforum" is a big mess. After just a single day, I can't find anything there. And I am simply not prepared to wade through all the non-bugreports, or long posts that are a collection of vague descriptions, or double, triple, quadruple reports, to try and keep track of what I, as a user, need from those.

In fact I am more than a little p***ed off with how nonchalant that stuff is being handled. Keep in mind that to set up that subforum the way it is here, I had to spend about half an hour. Half an hour. A little more if you count doing extra safety backups and actually thinking of the idea. I'm using the exact same forum software. too.

So I am going to keep using the SL tracker for my own purposes, for bugs that concern me. I'm more than happy to duplicate whatever I put in there also on the BMD forum, but I simply can't afford spend the time needed to keep track of their mess, just to get the information that I, as a user, need.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking, certainly not demanding, for anyone else to use it, and I'm most definitely not trying to get in BMD's way. It's there now, I want people to at least see it and everyone is welcome to give it a try and contribute. If I get the impression it's getting confusing for many, or simply not wanted, I'll make it hidden by default and people who do like to use it are welcome to request access.

Farmfield
Fusionista

Post by Farmfield » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:00 am

Fuxx, missed it was Open Source but not free... $1000 for 2000 users, I wonder how many users BMD have that will potemntially be bug reporting...

And yes, I get you are annoyed, but having been involved in Ubuntu for a couple of years, I ran the Swedish LoCo for 2 years, my experience of fragmentation in regard to bug handling and such compared to when it's run in a good bug tracking system, I'm really opposed to the idea of that kind of fragmentation, even if the ones who should handle it (BDM in this case) isn't... :(

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:23 pm

But the issue is also, do they care? If features that were in 7.0 are dropped in 8.0 (and they are), is that a bug? And is being bug free considered a high priority compared to, say, having an OSX version? I know they knew about some of the bugs that were in the shipping beta.

I'm not saying this is easy, but BMD seems willing to break things and ship them that way, so I'm not sure how important formal bug reporting is to them. I'm not being cynical, it just seems that the priorities are set for the time being, as they have been since the acquisition.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Sure, I get that. If only they'd just say so, that would make things so much easier.

Farmfield
Fusionista

Post by Farmfield » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Chad wrote:But the issue is also, do they care? If features that were in 7.0 are dropped in 8.0 (and they are), is that a bug? And is being bug free considered a high priority compared to, say, having an OSX version? I know they knew about some of the bugs that were in the shipping beta.

I'm not saying this is easy, but BMD seems willing to break things and ship them that way, so I'm not sure how important formal bug reporting is to them. I'm not being cynical, it just seems that the priorities are set for the time being, as they have been since the acquisition.
There's really no foundation to say they dropped things in v8 just because the beta isn't complete and I'm sure they care. As I said before, see what they did with the cameras in three years, just keep calm and give them time to finish the OS X/Linux port - as this is, as you say, the first priority - naturally seeing they can't develop Fusion further until that is done. But when they completed that I can't imagine anything else than they'll start doing wonders with the app, why else did they acquire it if not to make it as good as everything else they're have gotten into...

And for all you guys who use Fusion in production, even if the beta had been way better, you wouldn't be jumping on the v8 train anytime soon anyway, right? So you really have the least reason of all to get stressed about it... :D