[LD] Background cache Loader files

Moderator: Chad

Chad
Fusionator

[LD] Background cache Loader files

Post by Chad » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:41 am

Background cache Loader files, so when I/O is low, set some threads to prefetch some files and put them in the loader cache folder. That's how offline files worked and it was pretty slick for this sort of thing. Loader cache is neat, but it does't deliver much in actual performance because it doesn't pre-fetch.

jirka
Fusioneer

Re: Background cache Loader files

Post by jirka » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:45 am

Yes, background cache for Loaders would be great. It just needs to be done right, with a way to pause caching, and it should be multithreaded. Also the mechanism for checking if loader cache is out of sync should have some preference to balance performance and sync interval. Options like: manual force check, check on every use, check every x seconds, always check before render, check only x files next to currently used frame in image sequence...

As we know from that other compositing app, bad caching can make more harm to user experience then no caching...

BTW, prefetching frames makes so much sense for Generation...

French_Fry
Fusionista

Re: Background cache Loader files

Post by French_Fry » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:34 am

Yes, this would be great. I've played around with loader caching, but I can't say that I've had it speed things up a lot. Granted I don't have an awesome raid or anything, but I do cache to an ssd... I'll have to reexamine the whole process.