Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

Multi parameter change

Moderator: Chad

French_Fry
Fusionista

Re: Multi parameter change

Post by French_Fry » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:29 am

I saw that @Midgardsormr was reworking the Bath change script in another thread. ( which is super cool!)
But I will come back to my first thought, that this should be something accessible in the UI ( wether script based or not), and should come out of the box.
MultiChange_UI.jpg
So I made a quick mock up for what it's worth. In this example, you select multiple polygons nodes. The Tools panel indicates that you're in a "multi" session. If there are similar parameters that have different values, they are highlighted. You can select a parameter and change it, affecting all selected nodes. I'm sure the look and feel could be tweaked to be more appealing. I just threw something together for example.

I'll also grant you, I haven't thought through all the scenarios, and I'm not a programmer. I'm just extrapolating from my experience using the might fine ( but now EOLed) Softimage. It had a lot of efficiencies that cry over when using Maya these days... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 9

Post by AndrewHazelden » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 am

French_Fry wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:29 am
I'll also grant you, I haven't thought through all the scenarios, and I'm not a programmer. I'm just extrapolating from my experience using the might fine ( but now EOLed) Softimage. It had a lot of efficiencies that cry over when using Maya these days... :D
Hi French_Fry.

I didn't know you were an old Softie. What made you go to Maya vs the typically expected route of ending up at Houdini? :)

As an example, the Maya Channel Box and Attribute Spreadsheet both provide ways to apply the same settings across multiple nodes.

I suppose it would be handy to make a version of both styles of UIs in Fusion for applying multiple settings to several nodes since the goal is slightly different in what you are trying to do. One UI is there to help you see a spreadsheet grid like layout for editing settings that are rare and more technical in nature, and the other UI is for tweaking things in an animation type of context where things need to be compact and minimal.

The hard part for these types of tools is deciding if you would limit the multi-input editing functionality to the exact same matching node type, or if you go by the specific attribute type/name. For example if all the nodes selected have a 2D transform center or angle control, or in a Fusion 3D workspace any node with an offset, rotate, or scale attribute would be effected in a multi-selection based edit.

French_Fry
Fusionista

Post by French_Fry » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:06 am

Hehe... I didn't have a choice on the Maya thing. Our studio is in Nashville, with a smaller pool of freelance artist available, so if you restrict it even more with a lesser known Software package, you're really created an island for yourself. So, I didn't dig the choice, but understand that you have to do what you must to stay alive. ( kinda have the same problem with Fusion actually. We use AE a lot because it's easier to bring on help on short notice.Though I push usage of Fusion as much as possible. Adobe ..Autodesk...ugh.. :P ) The move to Maya has been quite painful, but 2016 might have been the best time to move over. Lots of new things in Maya that resemble Softimage.

I agree with your assessment of the 2 different goals and approaches. My take on it is definitely a work and design as you go on specific nodes.

You question about node type vs attribute type/ name is a good one. I'm not quite sure which approach would be best.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 28

Post by SecondMan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:10 am

Whatever happened to...

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:14 am

French_Fry wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:06 am
You question about node type vs attribute type/ name is a good one. I'm not quite sure which approach would be best.
An example where applying a multi-edit to the same control attribute name regardless of node type would be handy is if you were adjusting several roto-shapes at the same time.

I often have to wander through several different masking nodes at once to change the Level, Filter, Soft Edge, and Border Width controls and they are mixed across a random selection of Ellipse, Polygon, Rectangle, and BSPline node types in the flow.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:16 am

SecondMan wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:10 am
Whatever happened to...
From what I can tell "hos_AttributeSpreadsheet.py" was a mix of PySide v1.x and PeyeonScript code in Python so you're SOL on Fusion 9.0.2. That script didn't work in Fusion 7 either from the comments I see on the download page for the tool. :(

Also, if you used Fusion on Ubuntu I think your Python experience is still degraded in Fu 9 so even after updating everything code wise it might not work.

I've got to add in that UI Manager's ui:Tree control could do a really nice job on a Fusion v8.2.1 - v9 native GUI for an attribute spreadsheet tool.