Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

UI: Sven's Heatmap  [GRANTED]

Moderator: Chad

Kristof
Fusionista
Answers: 4

UI: Sven's Heatmap

Post by Kristof » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:59 pm

http://www.svenneve.com?p=738
When you render a frame, each tool remembers the time it took to render (results may vary though per tool, situation or implementation), Heatmap allows you to color all (or the currently selected) tools to a hue/saturation ramp/gradient depending on the normalized render time of the tool.
I love Sven's idea, would be nice to see the issues addressed.

Chad
Fusionator

Re: UI: Sven's Heatmap

Post by Chad » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:12 pm

You can already do that. So long as the output is cached, the output records the time cost, which one of the factors used for prioritizing cache. Tools like particles or materials won't have useful values, but that's to be expected.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 28

Post by SecondMan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:21 pm

What issues are you talking about? Is this a wish to run Sven's script in Fu8?

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:09 am

Last time I tried in 6.4, it threw an error and didn't work at all (didn't have time to pursue it and see what needed to be done to get it running), and at home, it doesn't work in 7, nor 8--all studio.

I use tile color, so I would like to return to the colors I assigned to it. Maybe have a clear, dedicated indicator on the node for something like this? Have BMD take OpenCL into account too?

UI: Indicators On Nodes: https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckle ... f=20&t=963

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 28

Post by SecondMan » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:47 am

Just so I'm clear, you want the heatmap visualisation to be a standard feature in Fusion? Or us to look into that script and try to make it work?

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:53 pm

A standard feature, if possible (with Sven's approval of course).

thibaud
Fusioneer

Post by thibaud » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:58 am

Kristof wrote:A standard feature, if possible (with Sven's approval of course).
If what you want is the heat map as an optional feature.
Using the script, perhaps asking for help (or learning scripting along the way) to fix it is probably your best chance to get what you want.

from a developer perspective, "if possible" won't make a serious case to invest time in developing a feature that is already available as a community script.

Just saying so you don't get your hopes to high ;)

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:38 am

thibaud wrote:
Kristof wrote:A standard feature, if possible (with Sven's approval of course).
If what you want is the heat map as an optional feature.
Using the script, perhaps asking for help (or learning scripting along the way) to fix it is probably your best chance to get what you want.

from a developer perspective, "if possible" won't make a serious case to invest time in developing a feature that is already available as a community script.

Just saying so you don't get your hopes to high ;)
:)

Okay, some context: these individual topics are part of a bigger scheme. Most compositing applications (Nuke, Fusion, Natron, never tried anything else) are archaic. So there's this window of opportunity, to rethink some aspects and workflows. Who knows, maybe Flowbox will capture that flag. Thus, I do think that Fusion needs a major overhaul to make it cutting-edge and while you're at it, better think things through and incorporate ideas that surfaced throughout the years. I'm writing this because I _love_ Fusion and I wish it a bright future.

Scripts, macros, fuses, those things are cool and fun to play with--I've written all types throughout the years (some of them are even available on this forum, with help from talented people too). But these user created nuggets are prototypes, that need to be pushed to the next level. As a developer, you owe it to yourself to re-evaluate things from time-to-time and see what has been pioneered by enthusiastic users. There's also this thing as consistency which is really important. Visual clarity, uniformity...

So, specifically this topic, it's part of the node indicators topic too. Now how can Sven's script be turned into an indicator? Needs to be incorporated and re-written (also to make it more intuitive and overcome the current limitations), no? The "if possible", is me trying to be polite, a'ight?

More context, I love to see how things are done differently in applications, there's something to be learned there. Seeing things through the eyes of somebody like Chad, who has deep knowledge on Fusion's inner workings. Having the BMD devs around here. So posting these things will hopefully sprak inspiring conversations.

Then there's this mantra on forums: there's a script that (more or less) does that / developer of such and such needs to make it work in said host application. In most cases, that's true. But not always, sometimes it is give-and-take.

avclubvids
Fusioneer

Post by avclubvids » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:16 am

I'm currently troubleshooting a slow comp, this would make what has been an hour+ adventure into a button click to identify slow nodes. +10 to this.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 9

Re: UI: Sven's Heatmap  [GRANTED]

Post by AndrewHazelden » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:49 pm

SecondMan wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:21 pm

What issues are you talking about? Is this a wish to run Sven's script in Fu8?
Kristof wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:09 am
Last time I tried in 6.4, it threw an error and didn't work at all (didn't have time to pursue it and see what needed to be done to get it running), and at home, it doesn't work in 7, nor 8--all studio.
Hi Kristof.

Vrolijk Kerstfeest. As a late Xmas gift to my friends in Belgium, here is an updated hos_HeatMap_Ultra script that adds support for Fusion 8 and 9 on Mac/Linux/Windows.

Download
hos_HeatMap_Ultra.lua
Screenshot
hos_HeatMap_Ultra-comp-colorized.png
Description

When you render a frame, each tool remembers the time it took to render (results may vary though per tool, situation or implementation). The hos_HeatMap_Ultra script allows you to colorize all (or the currently selected) tools to a hue/saturation ramp/gradient depending on the normalized render time of the tool.

Installation

Copy the script to your Fusion user preferences "Scripts:/Comp/" folder.

Version History

v0.2 2018-01-02 by Andrew Hazelden <andrew@andrewhazelden.com>
  • Updated for Fusion 8/9 compatibility on Windows/Mac/Linux
  • Refactored code based upon hos_SplitEXR_Ultra code revisions by Cedric Duriau
  • Split code into functions
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AndrewHazelden on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

theotheo
Fusionista
Answers: 3

Post by theotheo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 am

You've been on fire all year Andrew!

Kristof
Fusionista

Post by Kristof » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:35 pm

Thank you so much, Andrew!