Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

Making a modifier that modifies Translate, Rotate,... groups

Moderator: Chad

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 31

Making a modifier that modifies Translate, Rotate,... groups

Post by SecondMan »

The CoordTransform3D modifier modifies X, Y and Z all at once, with one modifier.

How would you set that up in a Fuse?

Thanks! :)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Re: Making a modifier that modifies Translate, Rotate,... groups

Post by SecondMan »

I could have sworn this came up in conversation here before, but for the life of me I can't find it... :?

Was it all but a dream?

PeterLoveday
Fusioneer
Answers: 9

Post by PeterLoveday »

Hmm, don't think you can with a Fuse right now.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

Maybe we could do it with a Fuse later? :D

PeterLoveday
Fusioneer
Answers: 9

Post by PeterLoveday »

SecondMan wrote:Maybe we could do it with a Fuse later? :D
I like to think that there are always... possibilities.

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad »

Hate to be that guy... But would it be possible to make Probe work the same way? From the user perspective, modifiers should be applied to individual channels or to the color tuple as a whole. Seems like if you apply Probe to the color group it should do all at once.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

Moved this to the wish list. Pretty please :)

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad »

I suppose this may have been implied, but a Color or Transform datatype would be nice. Probe outputting multiple Numbers works, but so often we want a tuple for the colors.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

So we're nearing the second birthday of of this wish list item. Any chance this might see the light of day at SIGGRAPH or something? :)

Together with this one pretty please?

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad »

Yeah, if it helps, there's a lot of thinking we can do on how this gets presented to users. Like you probably don't want a 4x4 matrix exposed as 16 curves in the Spline View. And you probably don't want to set a keyframe on the X position for frame 100 and have it set keyframes for Z scale at the same frame. But this is something that decades of 3D animation softwares have had to deal with, so there's lots of ideas on how to make this functional without too drastically changing the GUI. Same issue with Color, like you want to set keyframes when you change the Hue, even though that isn't specified in the datatype (unless it is... but I was assuming XYZ color, not HSL or whatever). The GUI probably should stay close to what you have now, it's just a matter of how you make and expose the keyframes in places like the Spline View. Right now, though, RGB curves do get reflected visually, so it's probably an easier thing to transition to than Tranform. Anyway, maybe thoughts about implementation might be interesting to discuss.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan »

Did some thinking about this lately and honestly the best approach that I could think of so far already exists in Fusion:

So you basically leave the UI side of things to whatever it is you pipe into an external Transform input. If you want 16 splnes, then sure provide them. If you don't, don't.

Not entirely sure if that could also incorporate what I wished for in this thread, but it might. Like a Fuse could tap into that Transform input and pick whichever you would need. So you could define links to one parameter, or a parameter group, or an arbitrary set. Right-click -> Modify with, and the connections will be made with a single Fuse (just like CoordTransform3D does already).

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 11

Post by AndrewHazelden »

SecondMan wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:05 amAlso maybe time to inject some life into this old ball of yarn
Yup.
Chad wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:03 pm Hate to be that guy... But would it be possible to make Probe work the same way? From the user perspective, modifiers should be applied to individual channels or to the color tuple as a whole. Seems like if you apply Probe to the color group it should do all at once.
I've not used it yet but @Midgardsormr created a nifty looking "com.MuseVFX.AutoProbe" atom package in Reactor. This tool script will automatically make the node connections needed to hook up a probe modifier to multiple channels of a ColorControl for you. https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 840#p24840

If someone wanted to "Get Schwifty" with their Fusion customization skills they could add a .fu based Inspector view contextual menu entry for a particular node RegID type. Then you could add your own "Auto probe" like scripts to the contextual menu so they would be accessible when you right-click on the node attributes in the Inspector window and *presto* multiple modifier node connections would be able to be auto-setup for you in an instant. :)

Sorry if this is off-topic from the primary point of the wishlist request. I remembered this thread, and autoprobe's existence after reading the "3D Transform Modifier Fuse Question" thread today.