Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

Bins setup for sharing

Moderator: Chad

pcg

Bins setup for sharing

Post by pcg » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:57 pm

Hello,

We are using Fusion Studio 16 and I've been trying to understand how Bins works so I can setup it up to be shared in the studio.

There is very little documentation on this but here are things I've discovered so far.

We've been able to get the bin Server working by following this https://www.steakunderwater.com/VFXPedi ... hared_Bins

When we open and close the Bins windows, these 2 files get generated/updated
C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Libraries\Library.library
C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Libraries\Template.library

In these files, there are bunch of lines like
["################################"] = {
Parent = "#################################",
Type = "BinSetting",
FileName = "C:\\Users\\<username>\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blackmagic Design\\Fusion\\Settings\\bintest.setting",
Name = "bintest"

Based on this I can see it tells me the location any tools that are listed in the Bins window. I noticed all the paths point to .setting files.

Also there appears be an endless bunch of .FuBin files seem to pile in in this directory
%AppData%\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Bins
I don't know what function these files serve. But I can see they contain random serial type numbers that can be linked to the numbers in the .library files. Nothing seems to happen in my Bins window if I delete these files other than new ones get created.

Are my findings about how bins stores information correct? Is there any thing I'm missing that's crucial to setting up bins for sharing?

If artists are storing tools in the bins library linked to our server machine, are the .library files the only files needed there to share with the studio?
We don't want to use the server for storage. Is it safe to assume that bins will save no other files other than the .library files.?

Also one last question about .FuBin files. What are they for?

Any additional information in setting up Bins for sharing is much appreciated