Reactor custom installation as preset?

Moderator: SecondMan

Axel Mertes

Reactor custom installation as preset?

Post by Axel Mertes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:08 am

Hi Reactor team,

we use quite some of the stuff within Reactor and want the same set of tools on all editor machines.
It feels quite a meticulous process to install everything manually. Reactor made many things already much simpler, but I wonder if I can save the current "state" of installed tools as kind of a preset, which I can then load onto another machines Reactor to install all the same tools there, without any more interaction.

Maintaining several machines and making them as compatibel as possible requires to have the same tools in the same revisions on all machines. Reactor would make my life much easier, if I can make a snapshot of what is installed on the "master machine" and then let it rebuild the same installation on any other machine, so I don't have to worry if everything needed is there and in which revision.

And there should be an option to update everything to the latest version "at once", so we don't have to deal with it manually. Think big.

Or is that already included and I simply missed where and how?
If so, please point me to it. If not, you know now what I am after ;-)

Am I right that Krokodove is not yet included in Reactor?

Greg Bovine
Double M

Re: Reactor custom installation as preset?

Post by Greg Bovine » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:58 am

Hi Axel.

Axel Mertes wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:08 am
Am I right that Krokodove is not yet included in Reactor?

Krokodove is accessible in Reactor by navigating to the "Tools/Plugins" category. You can also use the search field at the top of the Reactor window to find individual atoms.

Axel Mertes wrote:
Maintaining several machines and making them as compatibel as possible requires to have the same tools in the same revisions on all machines. Reactor would make my life much easier, if I can make a snapshot of what is installed on the "master machine" and then let it rebuild the same installation on any other machine, so I don't have to worry if everything needed is there and in which revision.

One solution to manage multiple systems would be to use the "REACTOR_INSTALL_PATHMAP" environment variable to set up a network shared folder that links to a common copy of Reactor's installed files. This would guarantee you have the exact same files available on all of your render nodes and artist workstations.

If you go to the Reactor documentation you can read about this process:

Axel Mertes wrote:
It feels quite a meticulous process to install everything manually. Reactor made many things already much simpler, but I wonder if I can save the current "state" of installed tools as kind of a preset, which I can then load onto another machines Reactor to install all the same tools there, without any more interaction.atoms.

Work is being done to create a concept called a Reactor "Collections" atom that makes it easier to create your own custom "packs" of installed atoms presets that you can load on another system. This is an ongoing development effort.

At the moment though the development activities like getting the Reactor for Resolve update finished have taken on a higher priority to complete then the Collections atom task.

Axel Mertes

Post by Axel Mertes » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:34 am

Hi Greg,

thanks for pointing this out. I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Very welcome hints!

Cheers & keep it coming ;-)
Axel

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Mon May 28, 2018 10:49 am

Axel Mertes wrote:
we use quite some of the stuff within Reactor and want the same set of tools on all editor machines.
It feels quite a meticulous process to install everything manually. Reactor made many things already much simpler, but I wonder if I can save the current "state" of installed tools as kind of a preset, which I can then load onto another machines Reactor to install all the same tools there, without any more interaction.

Hi @Axel Mertes.

Here is a link to a new tool that should help you save a snapshot of the Reactor packages that are installed on your system so you can easily install the exact same items on your other workstations:

Transfer Atom Settings Script

viewtopic.php?p=17026#p17026

RBemendo
Fusioneer

Post by RBemendo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:53 am

When trying to install Reactor to a network location on windows. I've manually changed the line: "REACTOR_INSTALL_PATHMAP=" in the LUA Reactor-Installer.lua file and when I run it in the console I get an error that it can't find my drive location.

Error:
C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\Reactor-Installer (2).lua:242: invalid escape sequence near '"REACTOR_INSTALL_PATHMAP=Y:'

In the section of the .lua script this is what's currently written:

Code: Select all

-- Setup the installation variables
	-- ==============================================================================
	local reactor_pathmap = os.getenv("REACTOR_INSTALL_PATHMAP=Y:\Original_LAUNCH_stockLibrary\Applications_Templates_Plugins\Fusion_Reactor_network") or "AllData:"
	local sysPath = app:MapPath(tostring(reactor_pathmap) .. "Reactor/System/")
From the documentation this is what I gather i need to change to deploy this from a network location. Any assistance to make this work would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.