Getting started with Reactor

Moderator: SecondMan

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Adding a Visual Installed/Uninstalled Icon to Reactor's Atom List

Post by AndrewHazelden » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:34 am

ShadowMaker SdR wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 am
Adding new features like multi-selections for installations are something that would be nice to add in a future Reactor update.
I agree that this would be cool. I'm just saying that - as a user - I was confused to what it was supposed to do.
Whether you're in Windows Explorer, Dropbox or whatver, the paradigm is: if there's a checkbox, then I can check it, to perform an action to the checked items.
Especially with a big button below that says 'update' or 'install' that's what I'm expecting.
Thanks for your feedback SdR! It is always handy for any developer to get extra feedback on how things are being interpreted by an end user.

As far as practical things that can be done to make this better and clearer for the user experience of Reactor in the future:

If you, and say 200 of your closest Reactor using friends, wouldn't mind hopping into the WishList entry below to add a few words of "+1" message support, a better approach could be implemented in Reactor that would visually indicate what atoms are installed or not using an RGB icon image on each row of the view as the indicator instead of the current checkbox approach.

WishList - ui:Icon Support in a UI Manager ui:Tree Layout
viewtopic.php?p=13598#p13598

The more users that voice support for this on the WishList thread, can only help get this get this UI Manager icon support feature (potentially) prioritized as something that would be considered by BMD for inclusion in the next Fusion dot update that comes out.

Tags:

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Re: Getting started with Reactor

Post by andromeda_girl » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:07 am

awesome.
i miss that a lot. i had high hopes back in the day that in addition to the 'breakout' game there could be something like space invaders or other classics.
but then again i have a lot of stress.

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 pm

Some questions/feature requests:

1. Any luck yet fixing the error with the cryptomatte install? Could a symbolic link be added to one of the default search paths listed in the error message to overcome this?

2. When new atoms are added to the repo, will there be a notification to promote them? Preferably on Fusion launch and not just when Reactor is loaded....create links in the notification to 'goto atom in reactor now...". Alternatively, add a filter to Reactor to show only new items we haven't seen before (keep track in a local file).

3. Options to highlight when updates (and new atoms) are available when Fusion launches.

4. It seams that every time Reactor is launched it checks available atoms one-by-one (or at least seems to do this). Instead, can there just be a manifest file that lives on git that is updated by admin every time an atom is added, updated, removed, flagged for bugs, or incompatible with current build?

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:23 pm

intelligent machine wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 pm

1. Any luck yet fixing the error with the cryptomatte install? Could a symbolic link be added to one of the default search paths listed in the error message to overcome this?

2. When new atoms are added to the repo, will there be a notification to promote them? Preferably on Fusion launch and not just when Reactor is loaded....create links in the notification to 'goto atom in reactor now...". Alternatively, add a filter to Reactor to show only new items we haven't seen before (keep track in a local file).

3. Options to highlight when updates (and new atoms) are available when Fusion launches.

4. It seams that every time Reactor is launched it checks available atoms one-by-one (or at least seems to do this). Instead, can there just be a manifest file that lives on git that is updated by admin every time an atom is added, updated, removed, flagged for bugs, or incompatible with current build?
I answered my own question for #1 above. The answer is: YES.
Moving or copying the cryptomatte_utilities.lua file to the location suggested in the installation instructions on github will work but will also mean no updates from within Reactor for that file (they will be updated but you will have to manually move or copy over the previous)

Here is the workaround for Mac (and most likely the same for Linux):

In macOS Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/share/lua/5.1; sudo ln -s /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Fusion/Reactor/Deploy/Modules/Lua/cryptomatte_utilities.lua /usr/local/share/lua/5.1/
GUI Method:
In finder, go to /usr/local/share > create a folder named "lua" if it doesn't exist > inside that folder create another folder named "5.1". Now use an app like LinkMaker (Mac App Store) or Path Finder to make a symbolic link of the original cryptomatte_utilities.lua to the 5.1 folder.

Midgardsormr
Fusionista

Post by Midgardsormr » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:20 pm

I've put items 2 & 3 on the developers' Wish List. Item 4 is already being addressed, I believe. Although I haven't been watching that issue very closely.

Eagle1

Post by Eagle1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:09 am

I have same cryptomatte issue at WIN 10. On GitHub there is a cryptomatte installation-Path: "C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9\lua\"

I don't have this folder.

My Fusion 9 installation shows at: "C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion" and also NO "lua" Sub-Folder?

What's wrong?

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:40 pm

Eagle1 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:09 am
I have same cryptomatte issue at WIN 10. On GitHub there is a cryptomatte installation-Path: "C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9\lua\"

I don't have this folder.

My Fusion 9 installation shows at: "C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion" and also NO "lua" Sub-Folder?

What's wrong?
I'm not on windows but I think I can help you.

Open up the windows command prompt (click the start menu and type cmd in the search field)

In the command prompt type the following and press enter:

md /s "C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9\lua\"

Then create the symbolic link:

mklink "C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Reactor\Deploy\Modules\Lua\cryptomatte_utilities.lua" "C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9\lua\cryptomatte_utilities.lua"

chino

Post by chino » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:17 am

Hi!

I have problem installing reactor.

1. if i copy/paste text from lua to console it writes:
-----
[Reactor Installer] Version 1.0.1 - January 23, 2018
[Created By] Andrew Hazelden <andrew@andrewhazelden.com>
[Reactor] Detected Fusion 9.00 running on Windows

[Closing Comp] Composition2

[GitLab Branch] "master"
-----
... and does nothing.

2. if i drag lua file directly to console it pops error:
[string "Composition"]:40: '<eof>' expected near '='

3. if i manualy copy lua to config it does nothing. bytheway i have to create config folder, because it is not there by default

help please!

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:21 am

chino wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:17 am
[Reactor Installer] Version 1.0.1 - January 23, 2018
[Created By] Andrew Hazelden <andrew@andrewhazelden.com>
[Reactor] Detected Fusion 9.00 running on Windows

help please!
Hi Chino.

You need to be running Fusion v9.0.1 or v9.0.2 for Reactor to be able to be installed and work correctly.

Fusion 9.0.1 is the minimum system requirement. This version of Fusion added support via Lua for using the cURL network transfer library which is how Reactor is able to download the atom packages from the Reactor GitLab repository.

nav
Fusioneer

Post by nav » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:47 am

Hello,

I installed it and have been using sometime and was working awesome as expected.

But today I tried to Install "Shine Abstraction", I already have Krokodove installed, is says "Installing Atom Krokodove" and freezes (I think)

on the console I get "...Data\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Reactor\System\Reactor.lua:143: attempt to index local 'file' (a nil value)"

I tried uninstalling krokodove and it failed but it now shows krokodove not installed but I still have it actually installed. Just wondering what I am doing wrong.. :|

In fact now if I try to install anything I get the same message in console and a freeze...

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:19 am

nav wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:47 am
I tried uninstalling krokodove and it failed but it now shows krokodove not installed but I still have it actually installed. Just wondering what I am doing wrong.. :|

In fact now if I try to install anything I get the same message in console and a freeze...
Hi Nav.

What version of Fusion are you running 9.0.1, or 9.0.2? Are you on Mac or Windows? Does your account have administrative permissions?

Possibly the Reactor installed Krokodove plugin was locked for write access by Fusion or your operating system which meant the Reactor atom install process failed to re-download and update the file. My guess is the problem was due to what is known as "a nil file pointer" which means the write function could not be run by Lua and resulted in the error code you saw.

The code next to Line 143 of Reactor.lua is the SaveFile() function that is used to save data that is downloaded from the Reactor GitLab repository to a file on your hard disk:

-- Write the content to disk in binary mode to avoid ASCII newline translations
		local file = io.open(path, "wb")

file:write(content)

You have three main choices at this point to try and resolve the issue:

Option 1. Resync
Step 1. The easiest option is to try running the Resync command using the Reactor > Advanced > Resync Repository menu item to try and fix the issue.
resync menu item.png
resync menu item.png (27.19 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
Step 2. After you hit the OK button in the confirmation dialog the resync process takes about 1 minute to run. This resync process will re-download the atoms you have installed and refresh the files. Hopefully this step will solve the problem as it is the simplest solution to the issue I can think of.
resync dialog.png
resync dialog.png (26.35 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
Option 2. Clear Installed Atoms
Step 1. Use the Reactor > Advanced > Show Reactor Folder menu item.
Show Reactor Folder Menu Item.png
Show Reactor Folder Menu Item.png (28.08 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
Step 2. This will open up the Reactor:/ folder in a desktop folder browsing window.

Step 3. Quit Fusion now so no files are locked and marked in-use by the operating system.

Step 4. Select the "Atoms" folder and the "Deploy" folder and delete them. This will remove all of the installed atom content from Reactor.
Reactor PathMap folder.png
Step 5. Start up Fusion and open the Reactor window again.

Step 6. Reinstall the Reactor atom content you like from scratch and the permissions issue should hopefully be gone.

Option 3. Enable the Debugging Environment Variables

Reactor has a set of debugging centric environment variables that can be enabled on your system. Turning the environment variables ON will tell Reactor to print more detailed information to your Console tab that can assist with troubleshooting efforts.

You can read the Reactor documentation on environment variables here:

https://gitlab.com/WeSuckLess/Reactor/b ... riables.md

You will want to enable the "REACTOR_DEBUG=true" and "REACTOR_DEBUG_FILES=true" environment variables. The online documentation explains how to set these items up on Windows/Mac/Linux systems.
windows-environment-variables.png
Please feel free to ask more questions if you need additional assistance. :)

nav
Fusioneer

Post by nav » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:49 am

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I guess it should be file lock issue, because of my unstable internet connection may be I force closed fusion sometime back.

I already tried option 1, I will try clearing out and doing fresh install and check..

Thanks.

Midgardsormr
Fusionista

Post by Midgardsormr » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:31 am

Does Reactor detect Krokodove if it was previously installed manually?

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:29 am

Midgardsormr wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:31 am
Does Reactor detect Krokodove if it was previously installed manually?
Hi @Midgardsormr.

If you want to scan your Fusion installation PathMap folders for duplicate Fuses or Plugins then you can install the "Fuse Scanner" and "Plugin Scanner" atoms using
These tools are found in the Reactor package manager under the "Scripts/Reactor" Category.

Ideally you want to have Reactor install and manage the content that is available in atom form as it means you can keep it up to date and in-version more easily compared to having an artist/TD manually managing things where fuses, plugins, macros, and scripts can often end up in random locations on disk that are not consistent.

If a TD does want to go 100% full-manual mode with the installation of Reactor provided content, they are free to use a git client to download a local copy of the entire Reactor GitLab repository and then use your own deployment approaches to install the material you want.

Installation
Reactor Scanner Tools.png
Step 1. Open Reactor.

Step 2. Switch to the "Scripts/Reactor" Category on the left side of the Reactor window.

Step 3. Select and install the "Fuse Scanner" and "Plugin Scanner" atoms. These two Lua scripts are now installed in your "Reactor:/Deploy/Scripts/Comp/Reactor/" PathMap folder on disk.

Usage
reactor scanner scripts.png
After you have installed the required atoms, you can access the "Fuse Scanner" and "Plugin Scanner" Lua scripts from the Script > Reactor > menu item.

Fuse Scanner
Fuse Scanner.png
The Fuse Scanner script creates a UI Manager tree view filled with details about all of the .fuse files installed in your Fusion "Fuses:" and "LUTs:" PathMap folders.

Controls
fuse-scanner-controls.png
fuse-scanner-controls.png (9.71 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
The [x] Expand PathMaps checkbox at the top of the window allows you to see the filepath as a full absolute path, or as a relative PathMap location shortened down to a compact form. This is useful if you want to see in a quick glance if the fuse is coming from a "LUTs:" or "Fuses:" location.

The [x] Show Duplicate Fuse IDs checkbox at the top of the window filters the tree view contents so you only see Fuses that have matching (duplicate) Fuse ID values. This makes it easy to see when you have multiple fuses installed that have the same internal name to Fusion regardless of what the filename on disk is.

Single click on a row to copy the filepath to your clipboard. Double click on a row to open the containing folder. Scroll the Tree view horizontally to the right to see the extra columns.

Plugin Scanner
Plugin Scanner.png
The Plugin Scanner script creates a UI Manager tree view filled with the filename and filepath details for the Fusion .plugin files installed in your Fusion "Plugins:" PathMap folders.

Controls
plugin-scanner-controls.png
plugin-scanner-controls.png (10.03 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
The [x] Expand PathMaps checkbox at the top of the window allows you to see the filepath as a full absolute path, or as a relative PathMap location shortened down to a compact form. This is useful if you want to see in a quick glance if the plugin is coming from a certain "Plugins:" location.

The [x] Show Duplicate Plugin IDs checkbox at the top of the window filters the tree view contents so you only see plugins that have matching (duplicate) names. This makes it easy to see when you have multiple identical plugins installed regardless of what folder they are stored in on disk.

Single click on a row to copy the filepath to your clipboard. Double click on a row to open the containing folder. Scroll the Tree view horizontally to the right to see the extra columns.

Midgardsormr
Fusionista

Post by Midgardsormr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:38 am

That was actually meant to be an inquiry into the trouble nav was experiencing. I presume Krokodove was already installed before Reactor was released. Then Shine Abstraction, with its KKD dependency, installed it again. Then an attempt to uninstall it using Reactor failed. I just didn't know if that case had already been considered and handled.

Though I certainly heartily approve of the new tool! Should make managing our in-house Fuses easier.