Getting started with Reactor

Moderator: SecondMan

nav
Fusioneer

Re: Getting started with Reactor

Post by nav » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:44 am

actually I had krokodove installed via reactor, when I tried to install shine abstraction, krokodove was already present then I guess some problem with my internet I force closed fusion.

Anyway now I have deleted the directories I am like now on fresh reactor install, the plugin scanner and fuse scanner should help me I guess need to check..

Tags:

icierva
Fusioneer

Post by icierva » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:59 am

HI.

Any special procedure if you want to install reactor in a off-line workstation?

I have my working PC isolated, no tinternet. I have a notebook right next for on-line I/O. I send items to the main PC via USB pendrive or, if needed, wired local network. This way has some cons, I lose any auto-update capability. In return, I need no antivirus, firewall, browser plugins and all the related services running in background.

I'm to install reactor. I read i'ts based in a online connection to a depository. DId I understand correctly. If so, is there a off-line install procedure?

Not a deal breaker if I need to be connected. I can do it very easily, just inserting a mini wifi USB I have. I could connect for a brief moment every time I want to add any Reactor element to my Fusion deploy, then disconnect as soon as possible, as, you see, I have my PC completely naked. But I'd prefer not to do so, if the inconvenience is not too disturbing.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 6

Post by SecondMan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:52 am

Hi icierva,

Since all content is stored online, you need an internet connection for installing it. However once installed, content such as Fuses and Macros can continue to be used on an offline machine:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1807

icierva
Fusioneer

Post by icierva » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:37 am

oh... I missed that thread. It was hidden in front of my face.

I'll install today.

Thanks again!-

icierva
Fusioneer

Post by icierva » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:31 am

Done. Reactor and a dozen of items installed with a click.

and Wow! This is huge!!! My respect and admiration to the crew.

martinzip

Rendernodes

Post by martinzip » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi,
how does reactor works with the rendernodes? Do I have to install on every rendernode the package and keep it updated?
kind regards and big thank you for this great work

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi martinzip,

Behold the beauty of Fusion's Path Map system! :)

What you need to do is make sure that UserPaths: points to your Reactor Deploy folder. Something like UserData:;AllData:;Fusion:;Reactor:Deploy as you see in Fusion with Reactor installed. Once that is set up, your render nodes will look for Fuses and Scripts in your centralized folder and find what they need. In a well tuned system you will only ever have to update a single location (unless you don't want to, of course :))

martinzip

Post by martinzip » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:47 am

Thanks, sounds good.
So I have to mount also the system harddisk in order to let the rendernode find the path...
I will try ! Do think a "construction" like this would work also for other plugins for example sapphire ?
Kind regards from crazy carneval in cologne
Martin

Kaleb

Post by Kaleb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Reactor is awesome.
But I had a problem using the tool, "Flare Tools" did not work in Fusion, so how can I fix it?

This is the wrong message.
————————————————————————————————————
...sign\Fusion\Reactor\Deploy\Fuses\Effect\FlareCircle.fuse:946: attempt to call global 'FuRectInt' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
...sign\Fusion\Reactor\Deploy\Fuses\Effect\FlareCircle.fuse:946: in function <...sign\Fusion\Reactor\Deploy\Fuses\Effect\FlareCircle.fuse:885>
FlareCircle1 failed at time 0

TogTobias
Fusioneer

Post by TogTobias » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Just setup a small 3 machine render network. Discovered that Reactor does not seem to successfully remove fuses when you tell it to if those are mapped to a network drive. It reads and uses them just fine otherwise. Have to manually remove fuses (eg, cryptomatte which doesn't work) or the render node machines fail.

Long story short. If Reactor deploy et all is moved to a network drive, file removal via uninstall inside Reactor doesn't work. No error is thrown. Just doesn't actually remove anything.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Kaleb wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:55 pm
Reactor is awesome.
But I had a problem using the tool, "Flare Tools" did not work in Fusion, so how can I fix it?

...sign\Fusion\Reactor\Deploy\Fuses\Effect\FlareCircle.fuse:946: attempt to call global 'FuRectInt' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
...sign\Fusion\Reactor\Deploy\Fuses\Effect\FlareCircle.fuse:946: in function <...sign\Fusion\Reactor\Deploy\Fuses\Effect\FlareCircle.fuse:885>

Hi Kaleb,

Thanks for reporting. The Flare Tools have just been updated to version 1.8 and now work with Fusion 8+. Please launch Reactor and update the Flare Tools. You should be all set! :)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:04 pm

TogTobias wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:26 pm
Just setup a small 3 machine render network. Discovered that Reactor does not seem to successfully remove fuses when you tell it to if those are mapped to a network drive. It reads and uses them just fine otherwise. Have to manually remove fuses (eg, cryptomatte which doesn't work) or the render node machines fail.

Long story short. If Reactor deploy et all is moved to a network drive, file removal via uninstall inside Reactor doesn't work. No error is thrown. Just doesn't actually remove anything.

Hi TogTobias,

How did you "move" the Reactor deploy folder? Did you follow the documentation on GitLab for custom installations and settings?

TogTobias
Fusioneer

Post by TogTobias » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:08 pm

SecondMan wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:04 pm
TogTobias wrote:

Hi TogTobias,

How did you "move" the Reactor deploy folder? Did you follow the documentation on GitLab for custom installations and settings?

(stares at his own feet bashfully)....ummm, no Mr. Secondman sir. I copied the folders to a new place.

Greg Bovine
Double M

Post by Greg Bovine » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi Tog.
TogTobias wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:08 pm
(stares at his own feet bashfully)....ummm, no Mr. Secondman sir. I copied the folders to a new place.
Reactor and Fusion wouldn't know about it then. Fusion and Reactor can't read your mind automatically, now matter how much you would like it to. ;)
TogTobias wrote:
If Reactor deploy et all is moved to a network drive, file removal via uninstall inside Reactor doesn't work. No error is thrown. Just doesn't actually remove anything.

Environment Variables Matter

This is a case where reading the online documentation for Reactor will likely solve your issue. Reactor isn't the problem. It's the choice of settings and techniques being applied for your current set up. :)

Reactor Documentation - Creating Environment Variables
https://gitlab.com/WeSuckLess/Reactor/b ... ll_pathmap

If you look at the Reactor documentation there is a topic that explains how to use Reactor with a custom environment variable called "REACTOR_INSTALL_PATHMAP". This environment variable allows you to move your Reactor installation folder for your workstation to a folder other then the default location of:

Code: Select all

AllData:
You can move this to any network directory you want, run it off a ZIP disk, put it on a USB memory stick, or have it on a network mapped windows share. As long as the location is mounted on the computer system when Fusion Studio starts up things will work as expected.

Render Node PathMaps

The 2nd topic to discuss is PathMaps when network rendering. Effective use of PathMaps is the key to happy rendering without unexpected errors.

This PathMap usage tip can be applied if your Render Node has Reactor installed, or if you manually added a new fuse or plugin to your render node in a custom folder of your own creation and want to customize your setups.
Taskbar Render Node Settings.png
Taskbar Render Node Settings.png (74.73 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
If you are using a Fusion v9 Render Node and want fuses and plugins to be installed correctly, you will need to open the render node's preferences up and set up your PathMaps to match what you have configured on your own workstation's Fusion Studio PathMap preferences so they are 1:1 identical.

This means you will have to re-create the Fusion Studio style PathMap settings like this on each of the render nodes:
Fusion Render Node Prefs.png
"User" PathMap Entry:

Reactor:
To:

C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Reactor\
*If you have moved Reactor to a new installation location on your network share you would change the "To" section entry to point to that custom location you have placed the files at. This would be the folder you have set in your "REACTOR_INSTALL_PATHMAP" environment variable.

"Defaults" PathMap Entry:

UserPaths:
To:

UserData:;AllData:;Fusion:;Reactor:Deploy
*This section is where you define the folders that hold your fusion user preferences. Each PathMap location you define here will have a full set of sub-folders created at Fusion or Fusion Render Node's startup for holding the custom addons you can use with Fusion like:
  • Bins
  • Brushes
  • Config
  • Defaults
  • Filters
  • Fuses
  • Guides
  • Layouts
  • Library
  • LUTs
  • Macros
  • Modules
  • Plugins
  • Scripts
  • Settings
  • Stamps
Optional Extra PathMap Entry:

*This extra setting can be configured on a render node if you want to be very thorough with your install. It is not strictly required but is a good idea to have for the future as this setting will become useful a few months from now when more Lua/Python scripted features and atoms are added to the toolset. :)

Scripts:
To:

UserPaths:Scripts;Reactor:System/Scripts
Testing a Render Node

You can have a copy of Fusion (Free) installed on the render slave system along side the Fusion Studio provided Fusion Render Node executable.

This combination can be handy to quickly see via a remote screen sharing session, or by plugging in a physical monitor and keyboard visually why your OpenGL/OpenCL settings in a Fusion comp are failing to render as expected on the node.

This approach is one of the few ways to troubleshoot NVIDIA graphics card driver issues on Windows 10 on a render node. And it can help you check if a Fuse is present on the node in the correct installation folder since it will become very clear in the Fusion (Free) GUI session if the fuse exists or not just by opening up the the "Select Tool" window, or checking in the "Tools" menu for the item.

Also if you have Fusion (Free) installed on a render node you can use the handy WSL made troubleshooting script that can be downloaded here for finding out about any unexpected settings on the node that might have gone un-noticed:

Fusion Diagnostic Tool
viewtopic.php?p=10892#p10892

Fusion Render Node Preference File

As a usage note, the Fusion Render Node preference file is located here on each Windows based system:

%AppData%\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\
Last edited by Greg Bovine on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kaleb

Post by Kaleb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:56 pm

SecondMan wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Kaleb wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:55 pm
Reactor is awesome.

stack traceback:

Hi Kaleb,

Thanks for reporting. The Flare Tools have just been updated to version 1.8 and now work with Fusion 8+. Please launch Reactor and update the Flare Tools. You should be all set! :)

You are right! :D I can using it now.Thanks again.