How to share script in Reactor?

Moderator: SecondMan

AlbertoGZ

How to share script in Reactor?

Post by AlbertoGZ » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:27 am

Hi everyone!

I'm new user of We Suck Less, and I have some questions about Reactor.

I would like to share and contribute to Fusion users community with custom tools. So I have shared little script making Atom package and push it with script files as well to GitLab to tool-updates branch. After that I request merge to master branch. I don't sure if I doing it right.

There is any guide that explain the steps/requirements to share a tool/script in Reactor?

Thanks!

Alberto

Dunn

Re: How to share script in Reactor?

Post by Dunn » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:34 am

Hey Alberto! Welcome to WSL !

You can upload/post your Scripts in the Reactor sub forum and the Reactor team will take a look at your code to make sure it's Reactor ready ;-)
viewforum.php?f=33

Cheers, Dunn

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by SecondMan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:57 am

Hi Alberto,

Welcome to the forum!

I saw your merge request in the repo, and that's exactly how it works through there, thanks!

I'll take a further look at the code after the weekend. The only thing I think I saw was that there were still a couple of .gitkeep files in there - if you could clean those up?

Alternatively, as Dunn mentioned, Atoms can be submitted to the forum here.

AlbertoGZ

Post by AlbertoGZ » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:53 am

Thanks for your reply guys!

I see now both ways to share a tool/script Reactor. How I already uploaded the script directly to Gitlab repo, I will to wait your reply after you see the code. It's a very small code for a basic operation, but anyway it's important testing I think.

About .gitkeep files, I see them was created automatically at create directory time from Gitlab. I removed one of them, cos I don't know what is this file (I've to known .gitignore but no .gitkeep). Others .gitkeep files can't remove them. Maybe permission?
Note: I just re-login and I have already deteled these .gitkeep files.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:57 pm

AlbertoGZ wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:53 am
About .gitkeep files, I see them was created automatically at create directory time from Gitlab. I removed one of them, cos I don't know what is this file

From Stackoverflow:

.gitkeep isn’t documented, because it’s not a feature of Git.

Git cannot add a completely empty directory. People who want to track empty directories in Git have created the convention of putting files called .gitkeep in these directories. The file could be called anything; Git assigns no special significance to this name.

There is a competing convention of adding a .gitignore file to the empty directories to get them tracked, but some people see this as confusing since the goal is to keep the empty directories, not ignore them; .gitignore is also used to list files that should be ignored by Git when looking for untracked files.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:27 am

Hi @AlbertoGZ,

I looked into your submission, there is one issue with it. Please make sure that the filename of your script is the same as in your Atom, and don't use version numbers in your script filenames.

If you could rename ReloadLoaders_v1.01.py to ReloadLoaders.py and resubmit the Merge request, we're all good!

AlbertoGZ

Post by AlbertoGZ » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Thanks @SecondMan
I've done request changes!

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:40 pm

And submitted! :cheer:

One small suggestion I would make is to do with your description:

Code: Select all

Reload all loaders in your comp by refreshing clip filename.  Unlike PassingThrough or other methods that affecting clip cache, reload filename do that duration of the sequence be updated.

Especially that last sentence could do with a little proofreading. ;)
Perhaps if you could make it one or two more sentences to explain in simple terms what the script does?

And for bonus points if you could make a [Submission] announcement here: viewforum.php?f=33 then I can mark it as submitted and many more people will know about it.

Thanks!

AlbertoGZ

Post by AlbertoGZ » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:11 am

Thank you SecondMan

I put here the re-writed description that I have done, before be approved.
ReloadLoaders is a very simple script that making reload all loaders in your comp by re-reading its clip filename.
Unlike PassingThrough or other methods them only removing clip cache, ReloadLoaders performs the update for duration of the sequence.

Honestly I don't know what more explain about it, cos is a very very simple script. :P

Let me know if is good for you and for anyone this description, then I update files, and I will post it in forum Submissions.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:33 am

AlbertoGZ wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:11 am
Thank you SecondMan

I put here the re-writed description that I have done, before be approved.
ReloadLoaders is a very simple script that making reload all loaders in your comp by re-reading its clip filename.
Unlike PassingThrough or other methods them only removing clip cache, ReloadLoaders performs the update for duration of the sequence.

Honestly I don't know what more explain about it, cos is a very very simple script. :P

Let me know if is good for you and for anyone this description, then I update files, and I will post it in forum Submissions.

Hi AlbertoGZ. :)

I think @SecondMan was possibly suggesting that you could use longer sentences to more clearly describe how the script works and what its benefits are for a Fusion user. Also, there were some grammatical errors in the sentence.

As an example, here is an alternative description I typed up based upon reworking your paragraph of text:

The ReloadLoaders script will refresh all of the Loader nodes in your comp by rereading the "clip" filename attribute.

ReloadLoaders is useful because it is more effective at reloading footage then other approaches like toggling a Loader node's PassingThrough setting. When you toggle the PassingThrough setting Fusion only removes the clip from the memory cache. By comparison, the ReloadLoaders script will perform the reloading action and it also updates the footage for the full duration of the sequence.

AlbertoGZ

Post by AlbertoGZ » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:38 am

Thanks Andrew,

My apologizes for my english grammar.

I have done a new version for ReloadLoaders, so now is possible reload only selected loaders as well. While I'm working in that, I have seen that in my previous version of the script, action for refreshing loaders was due to comp.Lock()/comp.Unlock(). In last version, I've fix that, but I've had to use PassThrough method to see changes in the viewer, so current description is not valid.

Note: I think is better that I create a new post in Submission forum section, and move this discussion there.