Fusion network rendering problems using Reactor

Moderator: SecondMan

kangoocarl1

Fusion network rendering problems using Reactor

Post by kangoocarl1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:16 am

Hello,
I hope this is the right forum to post this in (wasn´t sure if that should be in the Reactor Forum, but found reactor related questions here so hope this is the right home for my question...):

I have a network rendersetup (1 Fusion studio 9 workstation, 3 Fusion 9 render nodes):
The network rendering works fine and after now installing Reactor on my Fusion studio Workstation, I have mooved the Reactor location (folder) as instructed on the Rector manual to a network drive, so I could load the Reactor atoms etc. remotely from my network render PCs.

The relocating of the Reactor-Folder worked fine and after also adding the needed environment varialble to my Windows 10 system Reactor is running smooth on the Fusion Studio Workstation (also installing new atoms or deinstallling etc - everythigng works fine using the Reactor location on the network drive).

When I try to render a comp including any Reactor fuse/script etc. I do get the same error message on each render PC as follows "The file could not be opened as a composition - The following tools coudl not be loaded...". I know this does mean that the render PC cannot find the fuses or whatever Reactor-tool missing.
The network drive is loaded fine on each render node and so I am stuck having tried any combination on the path map end I could imagine:

Here´s my settings

Fusion Studio Workstation:
- Reactor installed on a local dirve "K:\Reactor\"
- Environment varialble set as: REACTOR_INSTALL_PATHMAP = K:\Reactor
- Fusion Path Maps:
>Scripts: UserPaths:Scripts;Reactor:System/Scripts
>UserPaths: UserData:;AllData:;Fusion_:Reactor:Deploy
>Reactor: K:\Reactor\

Render Node PC pathmaps:
>Scripts: UserPaths:Scripts;Reactor:System/Scripts
>UserPaths: UserData:;AllData:;Fusion_:Reactor:Deploy
>Reactor: \\WORKSTATION\HARDDRIVE\Reactor\

where WORKSTATION is the network name of my Fusion Studio PC and HARDDRIVE is the network name of the K: harddrive.
Loading the network harddrive from all the render nodes works fine and also rendering and outputting previews and any comps (not including reactor nodes...) works fine.

I do appreaciate any help or hint that couls solve my problems,

thanks,
Martin ;)
Last edited by kangoocarl1 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

JCB91
Fusioneer

Re: Fusion network rendering problems using Reactor

Post by JCB91 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:51 am

Hi Martin,
you could setup paths in your MasterPrefs for Scripts, Fuses, Macros, Plugins, LuaModules etc pointing to the \\WORKSTATION\HARDDRIVE\Reactor\Deploy\Scripts etc.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:14 am

Render Nodes have a separate .prefs file. So while your setup may work for Fusion UI, it may not work for the Render Node.

Did you follow this? viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1775#anchor-rendernode

kangoocarl1

Post by kangoocarl1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:51 am

@secondman:
I did setup the prefs sepeately on every Render Node - sure. And also I did follow the instructions there: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1775#anchor-rendernode

The only thing I setup differntly on the Render Nodes (then in the instruction above..) was using absolute path to the Reactor: location (as this is on a network drive): Reactor: \\WORKSTATION\HARDDRIVE\Reactor\ (in the instructions it was a "C:...." local path since the instruction did show the path map of the UI version).

Could there be anything else why my Render Nodes cannot "load" the pointed Recator-folder on the network drive? (the network drive does load fine on all Render Nodes with the path used - so it coulnd´t be a simple network thing I suppose..)?

@JBC91:
I actually did try to set "absolute network pathes" on the UI Studio pathmap as I thought this ight fix the problem - same same and it didnt change anything...

Thanks,
Martin

Added in 34 minutes 18 seconds:
Guys, I just solved the problem:

On the Render Nodes I had to use the network-letter of the networkdrive (not the absolute path) for the "Reactor" path:

Reactor: X:\Reactor\
(instead of \\WORKSTATION\HARDDRIVE\Reactor\)

Everythign wokr smoothly now - hell - hours of try and error ;)

Thank you for looking into helping me here,
Martin ;)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 am

:cheer:

Thanks for sharing the solution, that's worth the hours ;)

kangoocarl1

Post by kangoocarl1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:02 am

One thing I just ran into:
The plugins KROKODOVE and VLAM do not work in this solution on the render nodes (the pathes are all set - so I guess this might have to do with the plugins themselves?). Does anybody know if those have to be physically installed on each render node and do not work via the Reacotr folders in network render mode?

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:58 pm

Does it also fail if you add the Reactor path directly to the Plugins Pathmap?

I haven't tested this but my guess is they should work... ?

What is the error message in the console?

Added in 1 minute 18 seconds:
PS I moved this to the Reactor forum after all... :)

kangoocarl1

Post by kangoocarl1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:25 am

I did try to add the Reactor path directly to the Plugins Pathmap:
Plugins: UserPaths:Plugins;Reactor:Deploy/Plugins

Unfortunatley I am still getting the same error message - so the Render nodes seem not to be able to find the krokodove.plugin or the Vlam.plugin (even though those pathes are correct and it should work). Is it possible that those 2 plugins just do not work remotely?

The error message I am getting on the Render Nodes is: "The file could not be opened as a composition: The following tools could not be locaded: 1 KomkomDoorn tool"

Cheers,
Martin ;)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:38 am

No, I meant add X:\Reactor\ directly like you did for the Reactor path itself.

kangoocarl1

Post by kangoocarl1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:35 am

I also had tried adding the direct path:

Plugins: UserPaths:Plugins;X:\REACTOR\Deploy\Plugins\

unfortunately no luck either. Still same error messages.

So I did go though all the reactor content I have installed (not that many) and another tool that e.g. doesnt work (form render node) is the XfChroma Fuse (loacated in Deply/Fuses/Effect) and also other fuses in that folder (e.g. Flar Star fuse) don´t work either from render nodes. Same error message. On the other hand tools e.g. in the Deploy/Fuses/Creator folder all work.

I also tried adding direct pathes to the render node pathmap to those foldes: also no luck.

So to get going and being able to continue with work here I did try to copy the Reactor folder (and all its included sufolders with fuses etc) directly onto the render nodes into the relevant render Node local folders and did add pathes to them: same result: same fuses don´t work as from the pathmap remote try.....

I am lost. It looks like it´s kinda random since the path-mapping in general does work - but only on some of the reactor fuses.. :?

Martin

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Sorry to hear it's still not working. After your last post, though, I'm now pretty much convinced there is something going on outside of Reactor. It also doesn't make sense that some tools work and others don't. Sounds like Fusion can source tools from different locations?

Have you installed from a vanilla setup and built up from there or is it possible things got a little messy along the way to where you are now? :)

kangoocarl1 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:16 am
UserPaths: UserData:;AllData:;Fusion_:Reactor:Deploy

For example, what's that underscore doing there, after Fusion?

kangoocarl1

Post by kangoocarl1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:51 pm

The workstation (Fusion Studio) is a brandnew machine with a very first fusion 9 install actually last week - so I am pretty sure there should not be anything messed up on that conputer. Also Reactor install on that workstation did go smooth and everything worked fine from the getgo.
One of the render nodes also is a new machine with no other install then the 9.0.2 fusion render node.(the other render nodes are older machines with also previous fusion installs). As I am getting the ‚same‘ error messages on all the render nodes though (exactly the same tools work or do kot work) I could only consider it has to do with sonething on my main Fusion studio workstation.

Maybe it has sonething to do with ‚rights‘? The conplete Reactor folder (on the network drive) has all read/write permissions for everyone in my network - but ‚file permissiins’ is the the only thing that comes to my mind when some files (on the same path) can be read/used and others (in exact the same path) cannot....?

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:09 pm

So is that underscore a typo in your post or is that indeed what it is in your Pathmaps? It looks wrong... And there seems to be confusion between : and ; characters (but that might just be in your posts - hence my question).

kangoocarl1

Post by kangoocarl1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:38 am

The underscore (...Fusion_:Reactor:Deploy) in the pathmap in my first post was a typo, same with one of the ";:", so here´s my exact pathmap on the rendernodes WITHOUT any typos :cry: :

Plugins: UserPaths:Plugins;Reactor:Deploy/Plugins
Scripts: UserPaths:Scripts;Reactor:System/Scripts
UserPaths: UserData:;AllData:;Fusion:;Reactor:Deploy
Reactor: X:\shared\Reactor\

(i had also changed my netword drives names and pathes, just that you do not get confused..)

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:01 am

Start with taking the Reactor stuff out of your Plugins: path. You're already defining that in UserPaths: so that shouldn't be there.

Keep it at UserPaths:Plugins

And if that doesn't help, maybe we should take a look at your Fusion.prefs file...