Deploying Reactor to render farm?

Moderator: SecondMan

bryanfordney
Fusioneer

Deploying Reactor to render farm?

Post by bryanfordney » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:13 pm

I'll be honest, I haven't given this a lot of thought yet, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion of deploying custom Fuses across a render farm, such that all the nodes have access to them. Can I just copy the "Reactor" folder, e.g. `/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Fusion/Reactor` to all the nodes? Is it platform-specific or would the same folder work on Mac and Windows.
Thanks for any help!

Added in 10 minutes 26 seconds:
I am not using the native render farm (using Deadline) but I think the method described here should work. Sorry, should have dug a little deeper here. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1775#anchor-rendernode

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 1

Re: Deploying Reactor to render farm?

Post by Midgardsormr » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:30 pm

You should probably look into creating a centralized Reactor folder that all workstations and render nodes can see in order to be sure that you don't get any fracturing in your installs. That would ensure that when an artist installs a new tool it's immediately available to the farm.

You'll need to set the REACTOR_INSTALL_PATHMAP environment variable to point to the new location and then set the path maps in your preferences for all workstations and render nodes to point to that location. The Getting Started and Creating Environment Variables topics pinned to the top of this forum should have all the info you need.