Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

reactor, cryptomatte and render node

Moderator: SecondMan

JPDoc
Fusionista
Answers: 1

reactor, cryptomatte and render node

Post by JPDoc » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:41 am

I've installed cryptomatte using Reactor and it works fine in Fu9. However when I use render manager to run the same comp file using Fu9 render node it says it can't find various cryptomatte utilities, which seem to come from a lua file called cryptomatte_utilities. I found this post from cedric on the BM forum -
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/view ... 22&t=77541
so I copied the cryptomatte_utils.lua file to the locations he suggests, but it still errs. Another post from Andrew Hazelden suggested the Path map might be the problem, so I made sure the Render Node prefs had the same LuaModules path -
Fu9pathmapVfu9renderNodePathMap.jpg
This is the error the Render Node console throws up:
renderManagerError.jpg
which oddly has a colon in front of the file name.
The file is definitely in at least two of the locations mentioned in the error message:
cryptoLocations.jpg
so I'm at a loss to understand why the Render Node can't see it but Fu9 can use it fine. Anyone have any thoughts?

PS I posted this in Reactor as cryptomatte was installed through Reactor, but I'll leave it to Pieter to decide if this is the right place.

Any help gratefully appreciated!

JPDoc
Fusionista

Re: reactor, cryptomatte and render node

Post by JPDoc » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:29 am

After a lot of rooting around I found this old post -
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1027&p=20306&hilit= ... ode#p20306
but near as I can tell I've tried everything mentioned here. There are also comments about this behaviour changing with newer releases so I'm probably doing more damage than good. A real pain as I really need to get these comps rendering over multiple machines to meet a fairly hard deadline.

If anyone is successfully using Reactor installed cryptomatte with network Render Node rendering I'd really appreciate any tips.

Thanks again in advance.

James 2020
Fusioneer

Post by James 2020 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:12 pm

HI @JPDoc
I can feel your pain. For me, I gave up the original cryptomatte and solved the annoying problems such as pause and crash. I used the recommended pick_cryptomatte, and he made me feel happy. I was sure about the stability and efficiency. Good things are worth sharing, whether it is free or not. It's better than pain.

James 2020
Fusioneer

Post by James 2020 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:27 am

And here is the render speed test. enjoy it.

Movalex
Sir Requestalot
Answers: 4

Post by Movalex » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:15 am

@JPDoc Assuming you're on Windows, try put Cryptomatte module file to C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion Render Node 9\Modules\Lua folder, then set a PathMap on a render node to point at Fusion:, like this.
Don't forget a colon after LuaModules: part:

@James 2020, or whatever the name you choose today, your answer not only offtopic, it is misleading.
First you forgot to mention your tool works only with Blender mattes; second, it is Windows only. I wonder if chasing few bucks for your tools has a priority for you before being someone valuable?
Last edited by Movalex on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Millolab
Fusionista
Answers: 3

Post by Millolab » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:28 am

Movalex wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:15 am
@James 2020, or whatever the name you choose today, your answer not only offtopic, it is misleading.
First you forgot to mention your tool works only with Blender mattes; second, it is Windows only. I wonder if chasing few bucks for your tools has a priority for you before being someone valuable?

Couldn't agree more

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 9

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:13 am

JPDoc wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:29 am
If anyone is successfully using Reactor installed cryptomatte with network Render Node rendering I'd really appreciate any tips.
Hi @JPDoc.

Send me a WSL PM, or an email and I'd be happy to walk you through it all with the workflow suggestions tailored to your exact OS platform, Reactor shared local NAS files install usage, and Fusion Render Node centric render farm set up. :)

Cheers,
Andrew

danell
Fusioneer

Post by danell » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:31 am

@AndrewHazelden ..."and Fusion Render Node centric render farm set up"... Would love a write up of that!

Kristof
Fusionista
Answers: 2

Post by Kristof » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:08 am

James 2020 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:12 pm
HI @JPDoc
I can feel your pain. For me, I gave up the original cryptomatte and solved the annoying problems such as pause and crash. I used the recommended pick_cryptomatte, and he made me feel happy. I was sure about the stability and efficiency. Good things are worth sharing, whether it is free or not. It's better than pain.
Going by your own release notes: "Please switch off multi-threading calculation in preference, otherwise the flicker will appear." So much for being "sure about the stability and efficiency" then. And add what Movalex said. And crash? What crash? Speed, sure. Flicker? Check what I had to write about it in the Cryptomatte post.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 16

Post by Midgardsormr » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:20 am

It looks like the colon is missing at the end of the "From" part of your path map.

JPDoc
Fusionista

Post by JPDoc » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 am

Many thanks Movalex, Andrew and Bryan. I'd already spotted the colon and fixed it but no good I'm afraid. This screen grab shows that the lua module is in the right place and the path is now correct, but still the error. And it still puts a colon in front of the module name when it lists the locations searched. This is driving me nuts!
cryptoJun10_20.jpg

Movalex
Sir Requestalot
Answers: 4

Post by Movalex » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 am

Hm, it is really unclear to me whats going on these screenshots. First, the file you are showing is on Doc8, which is offline, but you render on Doc5 machine.
Then despite the errors, I see the frame is successfully rendered at 18:04:56 by Doc5.
One suggestion: since UserPaths: is a shortcut to a bunch of places, maybe set it directly to Fusion: path instead?

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:28 am

JPDoc wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 am
Many thanks Movalex, Andrew and Bryan. I'd already spotted the colon and fixed it but no good I'm afraid.
You have the option of defining the LUA_PATH and LUA_CPATH environment variables in Fusion which can help patch over some workflow bumps with Fusion v9.0.2's Lua Module handling which helps with re-locating the install location of Cryptomatte's extra addon Lua "module" script files.

FWIW, I had some detailed notes on this topic I had prepared back in 2017-ish for the original Cryptomatte for Fusion v9 docs on GitHub but it was deemed a bit too much of a deep-dive for people to read in the initial getting started notes.

For render farm based deployments of Fusion 3rd party addons, it helps IMHO if you modify a combination of the Lua environment variables, and the Fusion Render Node PathMap settings, and optionally the OFX environment variable path maps for Fusion. If you do these three steps, you can configure Cryptomatte, (and all of Reactor's plugins, fuses and supplementary content) to be sourced off any network mapped NAS file sharing folder (Samba/NFS/etc), or any local HD file path you want.

It's quite a timesaver workflow wise. :)

JPDoc
Fusionista

Post by JPDoc » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:40 am

Thanks Andrew, that's good info. I think I'm on the trail though - I found some earlier versions of the fuse lurking in some of the many places such things go and by copying the current version from the Reactor Deploy directory over them I got it working on one machine. Tomorrow's efforts will be to try and replicate that on the other machines and I'll have a go at your suggestions then - they sound like a great way to get around the horrendous debugging process for fuses, macros et al. For now, though, back to real work . . .

Added in 1 minute 27 seconds:
Hi Movalex, thanks and - yes the frames get rendered but without the cryptomatte working properly. As per my previous post I think I'm on the trail now - I'll report back my results tomorrow.

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator

Post by AndrewHazelden » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi @JPDoc.

Back to my comment earlier on this thread that I could explain via PM the correct deployment options...🤓

JPDoc wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:42 am
I think I'm on the trail though - I found some earlier versions of the fuse lurking in some of the many places such things go and by copying the current version from the Reactor Deploy directory over them I got it working on one machine.

FYI the reason why a legacy version of the Cryptomatte fuse was in Reactor for so long (Fall 2017-Spring 2020) was that the older Cryptomatte.fuse named "1.2.1 (WSL Reactor Edition)" supported an easier Fusion Render Node + Reactor install process. This was is an ongoing and known issue I have brought up in the past.

That branch of the fuse was tweaked and refined by WSL's very own millenial user "Greg Bovine" to make it more installable via the Reactor package manager.

Two years ago, @Cedric and I had a publicly visible chat on the GitLab Reactor site about Cryptomate deployments, and fuse's + Lua Module compatibility with Fusion v9.0.1 and v9.0.2. You will see a specific topic in that discussion was on Lua Module based deployment issues.

I also mentioned Lua environment variables in that GitLab post/commit... which didn't make it past the Cryptomatte technical documentation review and moderation process. But it was on record for WSL's "comp TD" like power-users who read what's happening on the Reactor GitLab repo.

The latest Cryptomatte version was pushed into Reactor by another WSL member since they were trying to get better memory management from the fuse, improve rendering performance for the Fusion artist session, and access the rank options, etc.

A slight downside to Cryptomate v1.2.6 release (IMHO) is the latest shipping version of the tool is less... erm... "Reactor deployable" onto a farm without using kid gloves and a bit of custom settings.

Que sera sera. :)