Let's build a kick-ass shader library

Moderator: SecondMan

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Let's build a kick-ass shader library

Post by andromeda_girl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 am

hello everyone, i got a poke that we ought to do this and so here it is...
let's not wait for BMD to maybe not update the bins shader library with ones that we can actually use. presently, only a couple of them are really useful while the rest are not so helpful at all.

Looking for something that rivals the lib from Substance...
What say you?

French_Fry
Fusionista

Re: Let's build a kick-ass shader library

Post by French_Fry » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:17 am

I like the idea. I'm not the expert in shading and light theory, but seems like it would be hard to get anything close to substance without PBR shading no? I'm sure @Chad would have something to say. :D

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 2

Post by SirEdric » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:31 am

I spent weeks trying to combine Fusion's existing shaders into something that looks and behaves like Blender's PBR.
Wouldn't say it was miles off, but at least a few hundred yards.
I also talked to Chad about the idea of taking the threeJS shaders into his CustomShader.
But when you look at the code snippets in threeJS spread over hundreds of small 4-line files, it's a mess one would probably need ages to put together the right way.
Unfortunately the lack of a PBR Shader that looks identical (or at least similar) to what's out there is really a shame...

JUNE
Fusioneer

Post by JUNE » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:26 pm

lets

lets go :D

Chad
Fusionator

Post by Chad » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:14 am

SirEdric wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:31 am

I also talked to Chad about the idea of taking the threeJS shaders into his CustomShader.

Yeah, best I could tell there was nothing in that particular shader that had anything beyond single pass fragment shaders.

Some effects like soft reflection need diffused environment maps. We can "brute force" that with multisampling, but otherwise you would need to pre-process that in the flow. It could be a Decktool fuse that does the blurring so long as it's uniform. Trilinear sampling could be done, too, with a separate plugin (imagine Texture2D having optional MIPmap inputs).

3CuS would only be needed until we "figured out" what we wanted. It could then be baked to a cleaner plugin for half the cost (and would render in SW).

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 5

Post by SecondMan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:58 pm

andromeda_girl wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 am

What say you?

I say this is a great idea and ideal as a community project.

I also vote for @andromeda_girl being the curator and at some point a Reactor submission from said curator ;)

Would you be able to post an example or two?

Thanks for starting this up! :cheer:

andromeda_girl
Fusionista

Post by andromeda_girl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:14 am

aw shucks. i am happy to take point on this- I have been on a crusade for this since I first saw shaders in fusion way back in the before time. I immediately knew we should be able to bring in assets from a 3D application intact with its surfacing.
the fight goes on. perhaps the new USD format might help bring that 15 year old dream to reality for Fusion.

so yeah! let's do this... i won't have reams of time for much myself but i can get something started.

oh BTW:
I found that when you make shaders in substance, you can then export the maps in whatever resolution you want!
so i think i'll begin with the ones made for a recent project of mine. perhaps if others are using substance they can do the same thing because while Fusion cannot import PBR shaders from other applications, you can take all the maps out of substance and reassemble them into a shader with a cook torrence for example - and it'll match it quite nicely.

contact me off list and i'll start compiling...