Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

[Update] Saver Tools - Loader from Saver and Saver Manager scripts  [SUBMITTED]

Moderator: SecondMan

Movalex
Sir Requestalot
Answers: 4

Re: [Update] Saver Tools - Loader from Saver and Saver Manager scripts

Post by Movalex » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:36 am

Oh, thanks @danell! I was wondering how to do that. I'll push an update in a jiffy.
Did you make any other changes to it? You can upload here an I will push them too

You can also register Gitlab account and make a Merge request there:
https://gitlab.com/WeSuckLess/Reactor/

However I just checked with a simple QT file saver, the script still overwrites the data to default values (from prores to h264). I wonder if it is possible to copy and paste settings programmatically

Movalex
Sir Requestalot

Post by Movalex » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Ok, here's a small update to ConvertToSaverPlus script. This is something I was going to add for ages: Version Up and Down buttons.
If the file path contains the v001, V01, v0001 etc. pattern, version buttons will increment the file path.
Check if it works for you.
Also now Solo button have the undo step. And from now on the script will work with savers only

Put VersionUp.py and VersionDown.py to Scripts:Utility folder. I put them to Utility because the tool script for versioning Savers and Loaders already exists (and is written by brilliant @pingking in 2008).
Then select the saver and choose ConvertoToSaverPlus in Scripts context menu. I'll post an update when the Reactor submission is ready.

ConvertToSaverPlus.lua
VersionDown.py
VersionUp.py
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

danell
Fusioneer

Post by danell » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 pm

Awesome little update! And thanks for adding my suggestion from before :)

sepu66

Post by sepu66 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:16 pm

Great! Hopefully, it will be in reactor soon! Thanks!

danell
Fusioneer

Post by danell » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:00 am

@Movalex
I found a small "bug" where I have a saver with the output shot_A02D02-S030_robot_conform_v0001..exr
As you can see it uses two dots in th end. Between these dots Fusion will place all the sequence numbers so the first frame will be called shot_A02D02-S030_robot_conform_v0001.0000.exr

When now running Loader from Saver it thinks the url already have the sequence numbers because of the v0001.. part and the url loaded into the loader is now broken.

I found two solutions. As I'm not super good in Lua I don't know which one is better.
For fix 1 I changed line 83 in LoaderFromSaver.lua from
  1. match_sequence_number = string.match(selected_clipname, '(%d+)%..+$')
to
  1. ext = string.match(selected_clipname, '(%.%w+)$')
  2. match_sequence_number = string.match(selected_clipname, '(%d+)' .. ext .. '$')
That way it checks for numbers directly before the extension instead of somewhere before the extension.

For fix 2 I simply removed the + before the $ in line 83 in LoaderFromSaver.lua:
  1. match_sequence_number = string.match(selected_clipname, '(%d+)%..+$')
to
  1. match_sequence_number = string.match(selected_clipname, '(%d+)%..$')
Both seems to solve the problem.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 19

Post by Midgardsormr » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:19 am

Movalex wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:31 pm
Put VersionUp.py and VersionDown.py to Scripts:Utility folder. I put them to Utility because the tool script for versioning Savers and Loaders already exists
I was advised a while ago that scripts in Utility show up somewhere in the interface… I don't recall where, but I could look it up if I were motivated enough. Anyway, I recommend two things: First, store the scripts in a subfolder called Support instead—that folder doesn't exist by default, so nothing elsewhere in Fusion will reference it, and it's where I've been putting button scripts for my own tools, so many users will already have stuff there. Second, prefix them with "saverButton_" or something of the sort in order to disambiguate them from the existing VersionUp and VersionDown scripts. That shouldn't really matter, since the end user should never see the filenames, but it might be helpful to anyone poking around in the folders.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 28

Post by SecondMan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:24 am

@Movalex - any chance you could start a dev topic in the lab please? Would make it easier for me to distinguish between development talk and actual Reactor submissions/updates. Also totally fine if you start one umbrella topic for all your tools, something like "Movalex's dev corner" or something.

Cheers :)

Movalex
Sir Requestalot

Post by Movalex » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:12 pm

@SecondMan, I was actually struggling to find all my submissions here until I suddenly discovered the advanced search by topicstarters. I would make an umbrella post for all tools, but that would require to keep updated both this post and all Reactor submission posts as well, right? Or this post would only contain the links to the submission pages?

About posting in the lab, I thought this is only for the tools not yet released to the Reactor. Here we were discussing just the bug fixes and further improvements of the already released tool. Am I right?

@danell check out this updated script. In case there's no sequence number found or the file itself is not found due to wrong saver numbering, it scans the save folder and suggests correct sequence number for the loader.

gitlab link
com.AlexBogomolov.LoaderFromSaver.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:21 pm

Oh yes, search is your friend :)

About Submissions vs Lab - I know what you mean. My original idea was to have a forum for submissions and updates only, nothing else. So there would be a submission, I would check it, a bit of back and forth about the submission itself perhaps and then I'd release to Reactor. After that, close the topic. Done. So for any update, there would be a new topic, etc.

But in practice that doesn't quite work. As you've seen, the submission/update topic has become a natural place for users to post a bug report, especially when taking into account that not all submission topics have a matching development or tool intro topic or tutorial someplace else in the forum. Add to that the 'perpetual' update topic. Once there's an update topic, it keeps growing with subsequent updates. Some people place those updates in the last post, others do it in the opening post, etc. Sometimes it's in the middle of a conversation and while I try to keep track of everything that happens on the forum, I may miss an update altogether. It's not ideal.

To help with that, I've added the [SUBMITTED] tag which you can toggle with the checkmark:
image.png
image.png
The [SUBMITTED] tag in the topic title is clickable, by the way, and will point to the relevant post containing the latest submission/update information.

The topic starter/submitter can use the toggle, which would give me a hint as to whether or not the topic needs my attention; if there is not a [SUBMITTED] tag, it means I have to go take a look. Maybe I should reverse the logic: submitters could add a tag that says [PLEASE SUBMIT] instead. And I could add a little manual at the top like in the Lab. Anyway, that's an option...

What the Lab is concerned, it's a dedicated corner for documenting various developments and getting user feedback. Up to any individual what that development is. It could be an entirely new tool, or a workflow, or a point update for something that already exists. It has potential pitfalls that are similar to the Submissions forum, like what with updates? A separate topic for each update? Or one big topic for all updates with a title that is updated with a version number? One topic per tool? Or an umbrella topic for a developer to get feedback from users?

That can get equally messy if not more so, but the difference is that the responsibility of keeping things somewhat clean and clear lies a bit more with the individual user than with me :)

As I mentioned before, I could go back to my original idea and just close topics whenever a submission or an update is done. From the point of view of the submissions forum, that's very clear and unambiguous. But then we also need to think of what to do when people want to respond, or have feature requests, or bug reports. So my gut tells me not to do that, although on that same train of thought I have wondered if I should start a 'third party tools' forum, where people can post questions and feedback about everything that's not in a native Fusion install.

(I also wondered about Scripting and Macros and how that subforum is starting to cover both Fusion Standalone and Resolve, while there is a separate Fusion and Resolve forum)

Personally, I prefer conversations in the Submissions forum to be kept to a minimum. Quick bug reports and feedback are obviously expected and totally fine, but for exploring new features and otherwise collaborating with other users I suggest the Lab. We shouldn't forget that these ideas come as time goes by. The Lab is a new addition, so it's only normal that it perhaps hasn't integrated yet with what everyone was used to before.

Further down the line, I am looking into integrating some sort of a ticketing system for various things on WSL. That's a development that won't come anywhere near here in the coming months. Maybe it will never happen. In the mid term I could also look into repurposing the Ideas forum with its connected links and multiple statuses. Not sure if that would make this better or worse.

Hmmm. Maybe I could split this very topic up for the Ideas forum too...

But in the meantime I'm open to other suggestions, as always. This forum is as much for you as it is for me, so however it is that sensible people would like it to function, I'll try to make it so (within reason and the confines of an acceptable overall mental wellbeing on my part).

This was way too much of a complicated answer to a simple question so apologies if I confused you even more :D

Movalex
Sir Requestalot

Re: [Update] Saver Tools - Loader from Saver and Saver Manager scripts  [SUBMITTED]

Post by Movalex » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Wow, definitely things get a bit clearer to me, but at the same time, well, still a bit confusing. I think Please submit button would solve part of the problem. But I still can not get rid of a thought that the forum if not the best place for development tracking. I mean, this is a great place for sharing thoughts and creative approaches, but for development tasks - hey, there's already a dedicated social network called Github/Gitlab. I think since Reactor is already hosted on GitLab, we could use some of it's powers:
  • issue tracker
  • decent comment system
  • user management
  • delelopment branches
  • even wiki page. Hey, we could copy a whole VFXPedia there. No broken links anymore!
I understand the intent to keep all eggs in one place, but it seems to me git is just a better fit for tool development. If the update is pushed to gitlab, we could discuss this update there. For instance, If someone is started developing new tool or already have something fancy to share, all these atom-file juggling could be a real showstopper. I'm currently preparing six Reactor submissions at the time. These are small scripts I find extremely useful. And I realized I need to make three description files for each of them. One for the Forum, one for the Atom file, and since these two are filled last, I need one Markdown file I'm just filling up while being developed just to keep things organized and clean so I'd have something to post on this forum. I even made a script to convert this single markdown file to HTML-Atom and BBCode-STU formats (this is one of the submissions actually). This could be a starting point for increasing the submission speed and quality. Ideally, if the whole development is done in a Reactor branch, we would be able to paste a gitlab link of a newly created tool to an atomizer, and it would create an atom package in place or directly to the master. And if the tool has a description file, the STU forum submission text would be generated as well. Or even post a forum entry automagically, why not.
Well, maybe something like this is just not possible, but that's a suggestion.

PS While we digressed a bit from a topic, here's an update I've just pushed to the current tool:
  • Add versioning buttons to saver plus.
  • If the saver path has no sequence numbering specified, e.g. file-name..exr naming, or render start is not zero, the LoaderFromSaver script will suggest the rendered file sequence number.
  • Put the versioning scripts to Support folder as per @Midgardsormr suggestion
https://gitlab.com/WeSuckLess/Reactor/- ... quests/231
com.AlexBogomolov.LoaderFromSaver.zip
Last edited by Movalex on Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SecondMan
Site Admin

Post by SecondMan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:18 pm

Tool is updated in Reactor, thanks! :cheer:

About using Gitlab more, by all means go for it. Whatever works best for you is fine for me. I've made this forum to make submissions for WSL users as straightforward as possible. Point is also that very few people are comfortable with Git(Hub, Lab, whatever) and I can't possibly guide everyone through diverging branches and conflicting merge requests (I've tried a few times).

You, however, are obviously comfortable with Git, so I don't mind it if you want to just use Git and not upload zip archives and other double work to this forum - I get the merge requests just fine. For letting people know there's something new I'd suggest you start a release topic somewhere and keep that updated, or start feedback topics in the Lab. Feel free to experiment with that and let me know if you need anything.

For a future forum update I am indeed looking into some sort of mechanism that keeps track of Git commits to Reactor. No promises ;)

Using Markdown on WSL was briefly possible at one point, but there were conflicts with other features. That too may come back one day or not :)