Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

Flow Manager

Moderator: SecondMan

danell
Fusioneer

Flow Manager

Post by danell »

Flow Manager
Tag nodes as Main or Sub. Main as your main node (eg a slow depth blur) and sub as your substitute node (eg a fast gausian blur).
By switching between these you can now speed up your workflow by temporarly disable heavy nodes and replace them with light once but before rendering out, with a press of a button, switch back to the heavy but good-looking nodes.

Features:
  • Launch from script menu or Shift+D (can be changed in settings)
  • Switch between Mains and Subs
  • Select all Mains or Subs
  • Tag nodes with ease
  • Apply specific filters to nodes if wanted
Applying a tag to a node will add a textfield under the nodes Settings page. This information is used by Flow Manager to know what to do with this specific node.
Currently the script only works with enableing/disabling nodes but future updates will come with the posibility to change values on parameters.

Inspired by RenderHogs for After Effects: https://youtu.be/RcIsqwbielo

Changelog:
v1.0, 2020-10-12:
First release!

Latest Version:
com.JacobDanell.FlowManager.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 31

Re: Flow Manager

Post by SecondMan »

Looks very useful!

Before I put this in Reactor - a couple of remarks or questions if you don't mind. The tool has a generic name but a very specific purpose; it doesn't quite manage your flow, it enables you to quickly switch tools around to enable you to work faster interactively. Something I also couldn't tell you from looking at the UI.

I think it's a very good tool, but it looks like something you have made (and works just fine) for yourself - others may find this confusing, or simply hard to discover. If I'd be looking for a tool to handle specific heavy tools, I wouldn't be looking for a "flow manager".

Up to you of course...

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionator
Answers: 9

Post by ShadowMaker SdR »

It's pretty similar to one of @SirEdric 's scripts from a couple of years ago: The priority passthrough, although this seems to be little more polished than that script was.

https://www.steakunderwater.com/VFXPedi ... yeonscript

(a couple of years ago - 2007 - I really *am* getting old)

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 12

Post by SirEdric »

Thanks for mentioning, @ShadowMaker SdR .
Damn. 13 Years. Almost 14. I'm not getting younger either...:-)

danell
Fusioneer

Post by danell »

@SecondMan I can agree with you with the name and some with the UI.
I tried coming up with a better UI but I think I might be tainted by RenderHogs (the AE script).
Any ideas on how to improve the UI? And also and ideas for a better name? :)

yannis

Post by yannis »

Useful one! Thanks.
I'd suggest naming it something rather like "ProxyNodes" or "ProxyToolSwitcher".
I'm not entirely satisfied because proxy is an existing term for footage but it's the general concept that your tool intends to recreate.
In the UI, I wouldn't use the term "Sub" because it reminds me of "sub... menu" that has a hierarchical idea behind, which is irrelevant here. Is "Subst" better ?
And I'd replace "Main" by "FullQ" or "FinalQ" something closer to the Playback options "Prx" and "HiQ".
I did't look at the AE script, as it's UI is sometimes misleading, and I wouldn't like cloning their tools...

danell
Fusioneer

Post by danell »

Thanks @yannis for all suggestions! I took it to heart and re-did the UI and replaced "Main" and "Sub" with "FullQ" and "Proxy. Much better names and looks much better also.

I created a Lab post here for anyone wanting to give more feedback before I'm trying to push it to Reactor again: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4646