[submission] Exponential Glow  [SUBMITTED]

Moderator: SecondMan

richnosworthy

[submission] Exponential Glow

Post by richnosworthy » Mon May 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Hey guys,

I contacted Stefan from bildfehler.de, the creator of exponential glow to see if he'd be willing to submit it to reactor. Its a great macro for doing a nice falloff glow, i find it a bit more natural than trying to use multi step blur. And its the closest thing i've found for fusion to octane's render post effect glow.

He said and I quote

"I‘m no longer involved in Fusion so feel free to add it to the repository!"

Only thing is i'm not a coder so can't change any of it, but the macro works fine for me, been using it everyday for about a year. What do you think, could we get this added?
https://www.steakunderwater.com/VFXPedi ... escription

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 2

Re: [submission] Exponential Glow

Post by AndrewHazelden » Mon May 21, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi @richnosworthy.

Here is an Exponential Glow atom. It will be available for download via Reactor in about ~4 hours.

Description

This macro creates a photorealistic glow with an exponential falloff.

Screenshot

com.StefanIhringer.ExponentialGlow.png
com.StefanIhringer.ExponentialGlow.png (27.64 KiB) Viewed 114 times

Atom File Contents

Code: [Select all] [Expand/Collapse] [Download] (com.StefanIhringer.ExponentialGlow.atom)
  1. Atom {
  2.     Name = "ExponentialGlow",
  3.     Category = "Tools/Blur",
  4.     Author = "Stefan Ihringer",
  5.     Version = 1,
  6.     Date = {2013, 3, 9},
  7.     Description = [[<p>This macro creates a photorealistic glow with an exponential falloff.</p>
  9. <p>A glow is just a blur that is added on top of the input image. Fusion's Glow and SoftGlow tools basically work like that and the result usually doesn't look convincing for strong glows (or in linear color space) so you need to create several blurs and glows with different radii to create a nicer-looking falloff. One technique is to add up blurs with radii that increase exponentially: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 and so on. This macro does all the hard work for you.</p>
  11. <p>ExponentialGlow is designed for linear gamma, floating point images that are viewed using a LUT. If you crank it up you might even see banding in float16, so float32 is recommended.</p>
  13. <p>This macro is based on a tool I found that was attributed to one Stuart Lashley. It's also similar to the great Multistep Blur (you would need to set it to a tiny minimum blur and a huge maximum blur with a high bias value to create a similar look). Also, this macro supports DoD and has been optimized to prevent unnecessary re-rendering when gain or tint are adjusted.</p>
  15. <p>VFXPedia &gt; Settings and Macros &gt; ExponentialGlow<br>
  16. https://www.steakunderwater.com/VFXPedia/96.0.243.189/index2f2f.html?title=Settings_and_Macros/ExponentialGlow_Description</p>
  18. <p>Pigsfly Forum &gt; Lightswoosh Thread<br>
  19. http://pigsfly.com/index.php?/topic/8208-lightswoosh/?hl=exponentialglow</p>
  20. ]],
  21.     Deploy = {
  22.         "Macros/Blur/ExponentialGlow.setting",
  23.     },
  24. }

Zipped Atom Package

com.StefanIhringer.ExponentialGlow.zip
(4.11 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

richnosworthy

Re: [submission] Exponential Glow

Post by richnosworthy » Mon May 21, 2018 10:07 pm

Amazing! Thanks Andrew, thats awesome news

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 2

Re: [submission] Exponential Glow  [SUBMITTED]

Post by AndrewHazelden » Tue May 22, 2018 9:44 am

richnosworthy wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:07 pm
Amazing! Thanks Andrew, thats awesome news
Hi @richnosworthy

The Exponential Glow atom made its way into Reactor, and at the same time a new Reactor 2.0 version was released on WSL that is compatible with Fusion Standalone 9 and Resolve 15.