Welcome to WSL!

New to the forum? Please read this and this.

[Submission] Redshift Camera Extractor Fuse  [SUBMITTED]

Moderator: SecondMan

sdhains

Re: [Submission] Redshift Camera Extractor Fuse

Post by sdhains »

This is a beautiful thing. Works so well. I'm wondering what the best way to cache out/bake out the camera might be?

AndrewHazelden
Fusionator
Answers: 9

Post by AndrewHazelden »

Midgardsormr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:12 pmIt's FumeFX
FumeFX? That means it was simmed with Max or Maya. I thought you were 100% Houdini based. What's with this Autodesk SW usage @Midgardsormr? :D

Midgardsormr
Fusionator
Answers: 22

Post by Midgardsormr »

We still have both Max and Maya in the pipeline. Our main TD has been using Fume for over a decade, and while he does almost everything else in Houdini, he still does explosions and smoke effects in Max because he's better at it. Frequently, though, he does send out a VDB so we can do the lighting and shading in Houdini. I don't recall off the top of my head exactly what workflow we were using here.

As for baking the camera, that's contrary to the purpose of the tool, but I suppose you could do it with an FBX Exporter node, which you'd then need to re-import. It should also be possible to create a script that would create a copy of the camera with keyframes. The legacy Bake Animation script only works with keyframe animation, not expressions, so it doesn't work for that purpose.

sdhains

Post by sdhains »

Has anyone had any luck rendering frame sequences with animated "Focal Lengths" with this method? I'm running into a strange problem with the script/camera set up provided where the "Focal Length" expression is not updating when rendering a frame rage. Weirdly, the "Angle of View" values continue to update, but the "Focal Length" gets stuck at whatever the initial value is and the camera does not actually zoom. The expression successfully updates both the "Angle of View" and the "Focal Length" when playing in the viewport. If I enter a simple expression such as sin(time) in "Angle of View" I see both values updating as normal.

I've tested this on 2 computers, with Fu16 and Fu9.

I've attached a minimal comp with my "Metadata" pass. If you scrub values on the timeline, you will see that both Focal Length and Angle of View start updating at around frame 184, but if you render frame range you will see that the only Angle of View updates and camera doesn't zoom.

I've just manually keyframed the Focal length animation based on the values from the RS extractor script for now.

redshift_extract_metadata_issue.comp
render 04 metadata.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator

Post by Midgardsormr »

UPDATE: Now supports Redshift renders from 3DS Max and outputs to the Vonk FusionMatrix tools (or Text+ if you have a driving need to visualize the matrix. I don't even see the code any more…) This update also includes a Default file for the Camera3D with the expressions already set up on S6.

Creating a Fusion camera from render image metadata is efficient and relatively error-proof. The RSCameraExtractor Fuse extracts the transformation matrix values from the metadata's comma-separated list, applies the transformations using the correct ZXY rotation order, and provides the Rotations and Translations in a more easily-accessed table format.

Controls

The Mode switch chooses between Houdini/Maya/Cinema 4D and 3DS Max, which requires some rigmarole to conform to Fusion's coordinate system.

Changelog

v3.0 - 26.may.2020
  • Added support for 3DS Max
  • Added support for Vonk FusionMatrix
  • Added a Camera Default file
v2.0 - 24.jul.2018
  • Added support for newer Redshift metadata format (tested with RS v2.5.15)
v1.0 - 11.jun.2018
  • First public release

Atom file contents:

Code: Select all

Atom {
	Name = "Redshift Camera Extractor",
	Category = "Tools/Metadata",
	Author = "Bryan Ray/MuseVFX",
	Version = 3,
	Date = {2020, 5, 26},
	Description = [[<p>Creating a Fusion camera from render image metadata is efficient and relatively error-proof. The RSCameraExtractor Fuse extracts the transformation matrix values from the metadata's comma-separated list, if necessary, applies the transformations using the correct ZXY rotation order, and provides the Rotations and Translations in a more easily-accessed table format.</p>
<p>A Canera3D Default setting file has been added, which has been configured with expressions to read the metadata loaded in the S6 settings. All you need to do is switch the camera to S6 and connect the RS Camera Extractor into the Image Input.

<hr>

<p>Version 3: Added 3DS Max support. Added a Camera3D Default setting file. Added a text-only second output for Vonk FusionMatrix support.
<p>Version 2: At some point prior to version 2.6.15, Redshift's metadata format changed. The Fuse has been updated to detect and account for the change.</p>

]],
	Deploy = {
		"Defaults/Camera3D_Camera 3D.setting",
		"Fuses/Metadata/RSCameraExtractor.fuse",
	},
}

Atom directory:
com.MuseVFX.RSCameraExtractor.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 31

Post by SecondMan »

Submitted! Thanks for the update :cheer:

Midgardsormr
Fusionator

Post by Midgardsormr »

sdhains wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:51 pmI've attached a minimal comp with my "Metadata" pass. If you scrub values on the timeline, you will see that both Focal Length and Angle of View start updating at around frame 184, but if you render frame range you will see that the only Angle of View updates and camera doesn't zoom.
Confirmed this issue. An expression-driven FoV does not update during render—it's not unique to the Camera Extractor expression, either; no expression will update that control. I suspect it will may work as intended if submitted through a render manager with 1 frame per chunk.

However, the Bake Animation script has been updated to work in Fusion 9+, and it can bake expressions. The one that ships with Fusion is still borked, but you can get the update from Reactor by installing the Eyeon Legacy Scripts atom. Note that it doesn't overwrite the existing Bake Animation script, so you have to point to Script > Eyeon Legacy > Bake Animation. I'll update the documentation with this issue and submit a bug report.

HetNieuweKader

Post by HetNieuweKader »

The rscameraextractor node no longer has an input and output since the latest update.. what am I missing? Thanks in advance!
Niels

Midgardsormr
Fusionator

Post by Midgardsormr »

Eh? That's not expected. What version of Fusion are you using, and is there any feedback in the Console?

Added in 46 minutes 15 seconds:
Update: Seems that I forgot it has a dependency on a Lua module that wasn't included in the Atom. I'll get that updated post-haste.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator

[Submission] Redshift Camera Extractor Fuse, v3.1

Post by Midgardsormr »

UPDATE: Added the Lua modules the fuse depends on. Note to myself: Vonk is a work-in-progress. If and when it is published through Reactor, double-check that this tool still works because it will overwrite matrixutils.lua

Creating a Fusion camera from render image metadata is efficient and relatively error-proof. The RSCameraExtractor Fuse extracts the transformation matrix values from the metadata's comma-separated list, applies the transformations using the correct ZXY rotation order, and provides the Rotations and Translations in a more easily-accessed table format.

Controls

The Mode switch chooses between Houdini/Maya/Cinema 4D and 3DS Max, which requires some rigmarole to conform to Fusion's coordinate system.

Changelog

v3.1 - 8.jun.2020
Added matrix.lua and matrixutils.lua modules
v3.0 - 26.may.2020
Added support for 3DS Max
Added support for Vonk FusionMatrix
Added a Camera Default file
v2.0 - 24.jul.2018
Added support for newer Redshift metadata format (tested with RS v2.5.15)
v1.0 - 11.jun.2018
First public release

Atom file contents:

Atom {
	Version = 3.1,
	Date = {2020, 5, 26},
	Description = [[<p>Creating a Fusion camera from render image metadata is efficient and relatively error-proof. The RSCameraExtractor Fuse extracts the transformation matrix values from the metadata's comma-separated list, if necessary, applies the transformations using the correct ZXY rotation order, and provides the Rotations and Translations in a more easily-accessed table format.</p>
<p>A Canera3D Default setting file has been added, which has been configured with expressions to read the metadata loaded in the S6 settings. All you need to do is switch the camera to S6 and connect the RS Camera Extractor into the Image Input.

<hr>

<p>Version 3.1: Added Matrix lua libraries.
<p>Version 3: Added 3DS Max support. Added a Camera3D Default setting file. Added a text-only second output for Vonk FusionMatrix support.
<p>Version 2: At some point prior to version 2.6.15, Redshift's metadata format changed. The Fuse has been updated to detect and account for the change.</p>

]],
	Deploy = {
		"Modules/Lua/matrix.lua",
		"Modules/Lua/matrixutils.lua",
	},
	Dependencies = {
			"com.wesuckless.Matrix",
	},
}
Atom Directory:

HetNieuweKader

Post by HetNieuweKader »

EDIT! I manually added the files, works like a charm now!

Thanks Bryan sounds good and thanks for the lightning reply! But what do I do now to use your update? I tried updating via reactor but there is still no input in the node, also tried downloading the file you attached and opened the atom package in reactor and saved it but no cigar.. Thanks in advance!

Midgardsormr
Fusionator

Post by Midgardsormr »

Until such time as Pieter indicates the Atom has been submitted, the update won't be live in Reactor. Glad you figured out how to get it working, though!

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 31

Post by SecondMan »

Submitted now, thanks Bryan ;)

:cheer:

supermassive

Post by supermassive »

Does this mean it is available again? "Redshift Utilities" and "Redshift Camera Extractor" still show up as disabled (marked red) for me.

I have tried resyncing and reinstalling Reactor, but none helped.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator

Re: [Submission] Redshift Camera Extractor Fuse  [SUBMITTED]

Post by Midgardsormr »

Oh, shoot. I added a dependency, then changed my mind, but forgot to remove it from the Atom. :oops:

Trying this again.

(If you download the zip file, you can still install it manually, of course.)

Added in 3 minutes 52 seconds:
Re: [Submission] Redshift Camera Extractor Fuse, v3.1
UPDATE: Removed spurious dependency on an Atom that doesn't exist. (Sorry for the hassle, Pieter)

Controls

Changelog

v3.2 - 17.jun.2020
Removed spurious matrixutils dependency
v3.1 - 8.jun.2020
Added matrix.lua and matrixutils.lua modules
v3.0 - 26.may.2020
Added support for 3DS Max
Added support for Vonk FusionMatrix
Added a Camera Default file
v2.0 - 24.jul.2018
Added support for newer Redshift metadata format (tested with RS v2.5.15)
v1.0 - 11.jun.2018
First public release

Atom file contents:

Atom {
	Version = 3.2,
	Date = {2020, 5, 26},

<hr>

<p>Version 3.1: Added Matrix lua libraries.

]],
	Deploy = {
		"Modules/Lua/matrix.lua",
		"Modules/Lua/matrixutils.lua",
	},
}
Atom Directory: