[Submission] [Fuse] Wireless Link Anything  [SUBMITTED]

Moderator: SecondMan

danell

Re: [Submission] [Fuse] Wireless Link Anything

Post by danell » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:32 am

intelligent machine wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:30 am
Hi danell, I'm unable to reproduce the crash. Can you please explain the exact steps to reproduce the crash? What OS are you running on? What version of Mocha?
Also, make sure you're using the latest version of the fuse from Reactor, not this forum thread. I've tested with a trial of the latest version of Mocha Pro and it works flawlessly here so far.
I'm running the latest version of Mocha (6.0.2) with the latest Wireless Anything from reactor (1.5).
I made a comp that crashes directly when opening mochas UI so you can try it out.
I'm running latest Win10 with Fusion 9.0.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 2

Post by intelligent machine » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:15 am

I tested your comp and was able to reproduce the crash BUT was also able to reproduce the crash a few times using the other simple Wireless.fuse as well....the crash takes longer to occur and isn't as consistant with the other fuse, however.

Reading through some other forums I am seeing similar error reports to the one error I could read while using Sapphire Mocha: "Bad Argument Provided"
https://forum.borisfx.com/t/mocha-bad-a ... vided/3574

Since the tool seems to work fine with everything else, including other OFX plugins I've tested, I have to say this may be an Issue with the way Mocha handles the chain of inputs and not Fusion or specifically this fuse. It could also be due to the fact that inputs and outputs in this fuse are created dynamically. There is nothing of use in the Mocha logs. If more cases come up with other tools I'll take a deeper look but for now it should be shamelessly renamed to "Wireless Almost Anything". ;)

A workaround for this particular setup:
wireless crash-2.comp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

danell

Post by danell » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:54 pm

Ok, good to know it wasn't your fuse only :) hope Boris can fix the problem as I fell in love with your fuse! But it's a total dealbrealer for me if mocha crashes :( thanks anyway and great work!

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:56 pm

Glad you like it! More are on the way when I get the time.
I should also note that I tried recreating the hack-around internally within the fuse using the merge over technique in the attachment above. Everything works as expected elsewhere but it still crashes Mocha.... no idea what Mocha is doing internally that s causing this since the logs aren’t indicating a crash of any kind. :roll:
Last edited by intelligent machine on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 5

Post by SecondMan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:51 am

It may not even have anything to do with the Wireless Link: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/view ... 22&t=87188

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:10 am

That's what I'm thinking...but the wireless setup certainly does help speed things (crashes) along.

It feels like a lot of OFX flavor of plugins are hacked to get close to the open standard, but, with the exception of a few, they are riddled with bugs.
I had many issues with Sapphire in the past and couldn't get Red Giant's to load at all when testing over a year ago.

I'll add a Caveat section to the description along with "use at your own risk" disclaimer in the next update.

bryanfordney
Fusioneer

Post by bryanfordney » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:06 am

Just wanted to say I love this node. AFAIK it wasn't possible to make Masks wireless before, which is why I looked for this.

One request: Can it be made possible that copy-pasting a link retains its connection to its source? (Without using an instance)

Kristof
Fusionista
Answers: 1

Post by Kristof » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:18 am

bryanfordney wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:06 am
Just wanted to say I love this node. AFAIK it wasn't possible to make Masks wireless before, which is why I looked for this.

One request: Can it be made possible that copy-pasting a link retains its connection to its source? (Without using an instance)
I use "hooks" as endpoints for specific node graphs in my comps. This can be anything (I tend to stick to a BC node), I just give it a clear and proper name that makes sense. One advantage is that you can keep on changing the branch without having to update the connection to the wireless node. The other one is that this will make it possible to connect pure mono branches (bitmaps) to a classic wireless.

But yeah, an über wireless node is the way to go and has been on my list for a long time (I'm sure I'm not the only one either). Glad to see somebody went ahead and created one for us! :)

intelligent machine
Fusionista

Post by intelligent machine » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:53 pm

It was a fun learning project...my first real attempt at a fuse.
I've been holding off to see what comes of Fu16.

One of the interesting new features in Fu16 is on the Settings tab of every single tool.
While it's not quite the same, it will be more intuitive I suppose.
When you select a node the wire shows but otherwise it's mostly invisible.
You can also select which of the inputs are hidden:

Added in 7 minutes 46 seconds:
bryanfordney wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:06 am
I tried but no luck. Others have tried without success as well. But this is the case with copy/paste of any tool with an 'ImageControl' field AFAIK.

Midgardsormr
Fusionator

Post by Midgardsormr » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:18 pm

It's a limitation of the way copy-paste works in Fusion—you never get the inputs. You could make a script that does a copy-paste that preserves input connections, though. Maybe bind it to Ctrl+Alt+C/P. I've got that code around here somewhere...

Code: Select all

myInputs = {}
for i, inp in ipairs(comp.ActiveTool:GetInputList()) do 
    myInputs[i] = inp:GetConnectedOutput()    --for each input, get the output connected to it
end

comp.ActiveTool:SetData("connectedOutputs", myInputs) --store the table in the tool's CustomData
comp:Copy(comp.ActiveTool) -- put the tool on the clipboard

Code: Select all

comp:Paste()  -- Paste the tool from the clipboard
myInputs = comp.ActiveTool:GetData("connectedOutputs") -- retrieve the list of connections
if myInputs then
    toolInputs = comp.ActiveTool:GetInputList()  -- retrieve a list of the tool's inputs
    for i, inp in pairs(myInputs) do
        toolInputs[i]:ConnectTo(inp)
    end
end
I've been toying with the notion of adding a button to my Wireless Link fuse that parses the Link's name and finds the tool it's supposed to be connected to.