Welcome to WSL!

Make yourself at home, but before posting, please may I ask you to read the following topics.

Posting 101
Server space, screenshots, and you

Thank you!

PS. please pretty please:

Resolve transitions for all frame rates

Pekkaman

Resolve transitions for all frame rates

Post by Pekkaman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:20 am

Hi everyone, new Fusion user here. I have built transitions for resolve in fusion that works using the adjustment layer, the problem is i don't want to repeat the transitions for all different frame rates. For example a transition built in a 24fps project will not work in a 25fps project.

Is there way to may be create a node/script that allows the transitions to adjust to whatever the project frame rate is?

Any help /ideas would be appreciated .

Thanks

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 7

Re: Resolve transitions for all frame rates

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:29 am

Can you tell us a little bit about what an adjustment layer does in Resolve? Is it related to Fusion in any way? I'm not familiar with it.

Pekkaman

Post by Pekkaman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:25 am

The adjustment layer in resolve is similar to the one in premiere pro. Its a clip or layer whose quality affects the layer or clip beneath it , for example if you add an effect to it it affects any clip directly below it on the timeline. You can use for example to add a specific look to the whole timeline without adding it directly to individual clips. Transforms are also affected if applied. Hope this is clearer now

Added in 4 minutes 8 seconds:
Explained with visuals here

By the way making the transitions with the adjustment was a way to be able to have them in the edit tab rather than going back and forth between resolve and fusion .

brysend

Post by brysend » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 pm

Pekkaman wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:20 am
Hi everyone, new Fusion user here. I have built transitions for resolve in fusion that works using the adjustment layer, the problem is i don't want to repeat the transitions for all different frame rates. For example a transition built in a 24fps project will not work in a 25fps project.

Is there way to may be create a node/script that allows the transitions to adjust to whatever the project frame rate is?

Any help /ideas would be appreciated .

Thanks
were you able to figure this out ?

Pekkaman

Post by Pekkaman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:52 pm

Unfortunately i still haven't reenable to figure it out. Any ideas ??

Igor Ridanovic

Post by Igor Ridanovic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:32 pm

I haven't played enough with adjustment clips in V16 yet to be able to give you a definitive answer. I'm familiar with your problem. I don't know yet where the issue resides, if the frame rate is associated with the adjustment clip or with the Fusion comp referenced by the clip (or both).

There is a way to get the project frame rate from Resolve via the API. It's possible to alter clip frame rates by writing to the database. Perhaps adjustment clips share some attributes with regular clips. Although this is a very heavy handed approach and a mistake can invalidate the entire PSQL DB.

brysend

Post by brysend » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:21 pm

Pekkaman wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:52 pm
Pekkaman what issues are you seeing when dropping the adj clip in a different FPS than the one created in ?
- I am not seeing too much difference, very minimal.

Pekkaman

Post by Pekkaman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:11 am

Igor Ridanovic wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:32 pm
I haven't played enough with adjustment clips in V16 yet to be able to give you a definitive answer. I'm familiar with your problem. I don't know yet where the issue resides, if the frame rate is associated with the adjustment clip or with the Fusion comp referenced by the clip (or both).

There is a way to get the project frame rate from Resolve via the API. It's possible to alter clip frame rates by writing to the database. Perhaps adjustment clips share some attributes with regular clips. Although this is a very heavy handed approach and a mistake can invalidate the entire PSQL DB.
Thanks for chiming in on this...if and when you do have a more definite answer i would be very interested in your approach or maybe its something that has to come from BMD

Added in 2 minutes 59 seconds:
brysend wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:21 pm
Pekkaman wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:52 pm
Pekkaman what issues are you seeing when dropping the adj clip in a different FPS than the one created in ?
- I am not seeing too much difference, very minimal.
I have yet to do very detailed tests, but its all about the minimal difference . Ill do a detailed test and get back to you on my results. Thanks for your input

Igor Ridanovic

Post by Igor Ridanovic » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:24 pm

As far as I can tell the adjustment clips themselves are frame rate agnostic. They don't seem to be tagged with any particular frame rate.

Where the frame rate comes to play is the Fusion comp itself. You'd need to create something that would flow like this:

1. Get the current frame rate via the API
2. Rewrite all pertinent frame rate strings in the current comp
3. Recalculate timing of all keyframes in the current comp

Ideally, you'd run this only once.

Pekkaman

Post by Pekkaman » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 pm

@|gor ,THAnks Igor, I guessed as much the flow was going to be something like that. But as it is now my skill level is definitely not going to be able to pull the idea through :)

And most likely not so easy to do also ..i guess . So i am definitely still open to suggestions on how to go about it.