Possible to Populate text from CSV/text/DB?

PHaRTnONu

Possible to Populate text from CSV/text/DB?

Post by PHaRTnONu » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:24 pm

So i have thousands of clips to populate w data (stored in cross linked to the video) from CSV (i can export the data any way i need to) each scene has a few overlay images. I need a text field next to each of them (social media contacts info.)

Is there any way to populate or generate the text fields in the right place and sizes w the corresponding text in Davinchi resolve?

SirEdric
Fusionator

Re: Possible to Populate text from CSV/text/DB?

Post by SirEdric » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:24 pm

There is a script for Fusion standalone that does exactly that.....:-)
Done about 10 years ago. IIRC I updated it for F9, will have to dig it out.
It would most likely need some adaption to your specific needs, but yes, there is something available to do the job...:-)

Added in 21 minutes 6 seconds:
Found it...:-)
Extract zip to folder of your choice.
Open Sports_Automator_blank.comp.
Adjust settings in Dialogue.
The rest should work automagically...:-)

Then...have phun adjusting it to your needs...:-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PHaRTnONu

Post by PHaRTnONu » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:58 pm

So, i dont know if im a idiot or not but i cant seem to import this in to davinchi resolve at all
am i missing something?
do i need Fusion 9 stand alone and cant use resolve's fusion ?

Movalex
Fusioneer

Post by Movalex » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:32 am

I think you will be successful to use in it Fusion (free version) rather than in Resolve.
By the way, I tested this awesome Sports automator, and it failed to render frames, since the saver in RENDER file did not create missing folders. Here's the version that worked for me. Also I've changed render comps creation to Comp: folder so they could find the assets easily. And I fixed fonts to all Arial - regular, because I haven't got Narrow style.
To start render launch Sports_Automator_blank.comp file and click Ok in script dialogue window.

There's also another old CSV-batch render tool, and it is kind of works (but not entirely) Try it out:

I'm currently looking into creating a batch renderer tool in Python, since Lua does not work natively with Unicode characters (in paths, for instance).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Movalex on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirEdric
Fusionator

Post by SirEdric » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:51 am

Movalex wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:32 am
since the saver in RENDER file did not create mising folders
Damn....thought I fixed that. Apparently not...:-)

PHaRTnONu

Post by PHaRTnONu » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:00 am

Movalex wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:32 am
I'm currently looking into creating a batch renderer tool in Python, since Lua does not work natively with Unicode characters (in paths, for instance).
for resolve or fusion?

Movalex
Fusioneer

Post by Movalex » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:03 am

Hopefully it will work in both.
I'm currently inspired by this AE tool:
https://aescripts.com/compsfromspreadsheet/
I've rendered more than 18000 assets with it. Would like my Fusion tool to be as robust (and probably more affordable:)

PHaRTnONu

Post by PHaRTnONu » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:39 pm

that is exactly what i need D:
im just unfamiliar w the standalone fusion for compiling clips to fuller video's, so if you make it for resolve too i would be able to buy a copy asap

Movalex
Fusioneer

Post by Movalex » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:17 pm

You can try Fusion in conjunction with Resolve's timeline by adding VFX-Connect to your clips in a Davinci timeline. This will open composition in standalone Fusion, just like you accustomed to with Fusion tab in Resolve. I find this method more error prone and stable, and you will have comp files and versioning.

Actually, after a little bit of think over, I realized that with current implementation of Fusion in Resolve it is impossible to create gazillion versions of the same comp since we have no access to the comp file at all. Batch rendering and network render is nonexisent in Resolve. So, until better times, we have only standalone for csv-based batch rendering.
Last edited by Movalex on Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PHaRTnONu

Post by PHaRTnONu » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:51 pm

Movalex wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:17 pm
You can try Fusion in conjunction with Resolve's timeline by adding VFX-Connect to your clips in a Davinci timeline. This will open composition in standalone Fusion, just like you accustomed to with Fusion tab in Resolve. I find this method more error prone and stable, and you will have comp files and versioning.

Actually, after a little bit of think over, I realized that with current implementation of Fusion in Resolve it is impossible to create gazillion versions of the same comp since we have no access to the comp file at all. Batch rendering and network render is nonexisent in Resolve. So, until better times, we have only standalone one.
fml...
learning fusion seem like what ill need to do then.
i need a way to stitch all these clips together and add the corresponding data to the right clips w the text

Movalex
Fusioneer

Post by Movalex » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:06 pm

With the great places like this forum or Discord chat 'Pirates of ConFusion', learning Fusion's tricks is a joy.
But if you are short of time to dive into scripts provided to do the job you are intended to, better spend some bucks on that ae spreadsheet tool (and on AE itself, obviously). It also has nuances, but the video tutorial covers them all.

By the way, if I get you correctly, you have not one background movie to populate with data, but a lot of clips to overlay with multiple social media info? So how this multiple to multiple has to be correlated? Some random choice?

Igor Ridanovic

Post by Igor Ridanovic » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:52 pm

PHaRTnONu wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:24 pm
So i have thousands of clips to populate w data (stored in cross linked to the video) from CSV (i can export the data any way i need to) each scene has a few overlay images. I need a text field next to each of them (social media contacts info.)

Is there any way to populate or generate the text fields in the right place and sizes w the corresponding text in Davinchi resolve?
I'm not quite clear on what you need to do. Do you have thousands of clips in Resolve and you need to add metadata to each? Or you need to add on-screen titles to each clip on the timeline? Could you clarify please?

PHaRTnONu

Post by PHaRTnONu » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:00 am

Igor Ridanovic wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:52 pm

I'm not quite clear on what you need to do. Do you have thousands of clips in Resolve and you need to add metadata to each? Or you need to add on-screen titles to each clip on the timeline? Could you clarify please?
I have thousands of clip's (video's ranging from 15 seconds to 1 minute) that i need to add titles onscreen too
every clip has different text (normally 5 fields but a minimum of 3) The text fields and images are always positioned in the same place same lay out for every clip (when some are missing the data they just remain blank)

I need a way to just add the corresponding data to the text fields, i can export the data any way it needs to be but not as meta data (IE csv, text ect. ect.)
The clips are compiled in batches w a generic transition to fit time or genera but that's alot easier then the text fields that take up most of my time.

Igor Ridanovic

Post by Igor Ridanovic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:52 pm

You could wire your data as as an .SRT file. But I don't think any attributes like size and positioning are supported. I may be wrong though. However, I think Resolve 15 would allow you to globally change font color, size, etc.

Another possible option is to use Fusion titles. You can generate them programatically, see video below, but I'm not sure there is a method in the scripting API that would allow you to drop them on the timeline where you want them.

Another option is to use ffmpeg.

PHaRTnONu

Post by PHaRTnONu » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:27 am

Igor Ridanovic wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:52 pm
You could wire your data as as an .SRT file. But I don't think any attributes like size and positioning are supported. I may be wrong though. However, I think Resolve 15 would allow you to globally change font color, size, etc.

Another possible option is to use Fusion titles. You can generate them programatically, see video below, but I'm not sure there is a method in the scripting API that would allow you to drop them on the timeline where you want them.

Another option is to use ffmpeg.

I actually watched this already and it still adds almost as many step's right now i have a scene i just import thats 4 images and the 5 text fields in place and i just add the text scene by scene its just SO monotonous i was hoping a solution existed to alleviate the work flow of hours to seconds.
the solution you propose would have me adding multiple text's and resizing that it would i feel add more time then save