Color management with the now official Resolve 15

Jordiyoyijorge

Color management with the now official Resolve 15

Post by Jordiyoyijorge » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:55 am

My first post in the Forum. Excuse my English as a non-native.

Now that the version of Da-Fusion is supposed to be stable I can't justify myself for not using it in my regular workflow. I mostly do touch-up, object removal and chromakeyng. Most of the time I work with commercials for broadcasting (rec709).

Coming from Shake and Avid Ds I understand that it would be better to compose in linnear but reading different posts and articles I can´t grasp how to use it and keep Davinci´s own color managment in the workflow from MEDIA POOL to EDIT to FUSION to COLOR without clamping the values or getting an unreliable preview.

Also, to what extend do Fusion´s own preferences when it comes to Bit depth affect the image? Do I have to always keep them at 32 bits so as not to clamp the values of the media or does it only affect images created within Da-Fusion (ramps, background, etc...).

Thanks in advance and again excuse me if the answer is considered a no-brainer but I'm really getting confused by the disparity of the info I'm getting.

JSalvo

Re: Color management with the now official Resolve 15

Post by JSalvo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi Jordi,
This is my first post too, fwiw.

To answer your question about color management. All the transforms under Resolve Color Management (RCM) are done computationally and in float space. So no info is clipped.

My personal preference is to use the appropriate input transform for whatever I'm working on. But then use LogC as my working space and rec709g2.4 as my output space.

In fusion if you enable the "managed" transform on the viewer color menu, you'll see the same image as in the output.

Internally however Fusion is automatically set up for linear light. And as far as I've been able to find everything is processed at 32bit float. So totally lossless.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Juan

gez
Fusioneer

Post by gez » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi,
I'm rather new to both Fusion and Resolve and from what I could observe it looks like Fusion is actually agnostic regarding what's ingested.
For instance, I just loaded one of the Ursa Mini Pro from the BMD website (a DNG sequence) and when I load it directly into the timeline and switch to the fusion page, the colour reads are display referred. I'm not sure whether they are linearized internally or not, but the image range is definitely 0,1.
If I apply an input transform (say BMD Film 4.6K to rec.709) I see the expected apperance in the timeline and in the Fusion page, but no scene-referred values.
The only way I can get scene-referred values is by choosing the proper input transform (in this case BMD Film 4.6k to linear) either from the clip input transform or from the Media-in node in the fusion page.
At any rate, Fusion doesn't seem to go automatically from the input colorspace to scene-linear. Maybe it does go to display linear (I haven't tested) but if that's the case its of little use for VFX.
Could you please clarify that? It's quite possible that I'm missing something because I'm not familiar with Resolve's color workflow.

JSalvo

Post by JSalvo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:31 pm

You need to enable Resolve Color Management. If RCM is not enabled, you would be correct that it is agnostic, so to speak.

If you do enable RCM then it knows (or is told) what the input and output and working space are, and transforms accordingly.

gez
Fusioneer

Post by gez » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:53 am

Ah, cool. So I was missing something.
My confusion came from Fusion :-) that doesn't seem to force a working space and leaves that in the hands of the user.
It's not a big deal as long as you know that's the case, but it's handy to have some help there to avoid problems. I'll take a look to RCM.

Thanks!

Jordiyoyijorge

Post by Jordiyoyijorge » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:59 am

I get that there's a new ¨managed¨ LUT in the viewer, and I tend to work using Davinci´s RCM, but in previous versions of Fusion you had to de-gamma the footage as a first step in order to truly work in linnear mode, compose, do your thing and later re-gamma in order to render out.

Are those steps not needed anymore using RCM and the ¨managed¨Lut???

Thanks for your interest.

JSalvo

Post by JSalvo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:29 am

Jordiyoyijorge wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:59 am
Are those steps not needed anymore using RCM and the ¨managed¨Lut???
That's correct. If you turn off the managed viewer you'll see the underlying image has already been linearized.

Jordiyoyijorge

Post by Jordiyoyijorge » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:49 am

So this way would work under-the-hood flawlesly for RCM projects and then you could still use the traditional approach (de-gamma, re-gamma) for no RCM projects. Quite smart, thanks JSalvo!