Newbie is trying to clone

PeteWatch

Newbie is trying to clone

Post by PeteWatch » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 am

I've followed some excellent paint tutorials on youtube, but I can't figure out how to do the following.

I have a drone shot (so everything in the frame is moving slowly) and a person is walking in the left corner of the frame.

I need to move that person a little further to the center of the frame.

So I basically have 2 moving parts. The camera, and the person.

With the youtube tutorials, I can now paint out the person, but I can't seem to figure out how I can clone him to a different spot.
Would someone please be so kind to point me in the right direction ?

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 4

Re: Newbie is trying to clone

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:01 am

Can you show us the shot? That will help greatly in helping you.

PeteWatch

Post by PeteWatch » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:35 am

Here are two small screengrabs.

In the first frame, you see that I have managed to clone the person to the right, but I can't get my clonepaint to track the walking guy... and also the complete frame moves slightly due to the drone flying.

The tutorials I've seen only show how to paint out ugly stuff on the wall, but not what I'm trying to do.

This is the first frame :

This is the last frame :

ShadowMaker SdR
Fusionista
Answers: 4

Post by ShadowMaker SdR » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:19 pm

This helps a little. But since your shot is moving your first goal should be to stabilize the shot in such a way that when you clone the person you can scale with the shot. This will be a tricky shot anyway, since it appears that the sun is pretty low, so you'll have to deal with the shadows as well. This is not going to be easy to do.
What is your current skill level in Fusion? This will help in determining the amount of handholding that's required in the explanation. :-)

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 2

Post by intelligent machine » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:33 pm

I was about to suggest something similar. Not a fun shot to work on.

Without seeing the actual clip I can guess that either stabilizing as suggested or 3d camera track, rotoscope or key out the talent, make a card with the talent in 3d space and a clean plate still of the landscape pieced together to cover the bounds of the entire shot...maybe paint in a displacement map to cover any parallax. Too hard to say from the stills alone how much work will be involved.

PeteWatch

Post by PeteWatch » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:41 am

Thanks for the replies...

My skill level is close to zero :D
But I'm digesting as much youtube tutorials as I can.

I think I managed to do something more or less ok. From the tutorials I've seen I gathered I needed something like a camera tracker, but this is still a bit above my head.

What I've done instead is make a copy of the mediain, put a tracker on the guy walking and then used a mask around him (polyline) that tracks him as he walks.
Then with a transform (to move the x and y of the tracked guy footage) and a merge, I've merged the masked guy onto the original footage.

In the end I didn't bother tracking the complete frame, since I'm using an exact copy of the guy walking the frame movement is exactly the same in the background frame as in the cutout guy... it seems to work fine for this purpose.

It looks like I got away with it and I learned a lot.
Glitchy fusion behaviour was the most frustrating part... for some reason, I kept loosing tracking data and I still don't know why...