Fusion in Resolve workflow / dope-sheet advice?

LesMatheson

Fusion in Resolve workflow / dope-sheet advice?

Post by LesMatheson » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:00 am

I have longish "talking head" videos and I'm compositing them in Fusion (DR 16 beta 6). I understand how to get the results I want, but it's frustrating that I can't hear the audio track -- so I can't synchronize graphic elements without making some sort of frame number list with manual notes, outside of Resolve. A poor-man's dope sheet, I guess.

I have to imagine that more experienced users aren't doing what I'm doing, but I don't even know how to search for that kind of guidance. (Note: I just installed Reactor 3, and I've been looking for tools that might help. But I need ideas more than tools, I suspect.)

How do the pros do this?
Thanks!

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 4

Re: Fusion in Resolve workflow / dope-sheet advice?

Post by SirEdric » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:46 am

LesMatheson wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:00 am
but it's frustrating that I can't hear the audio track
You can load an external .wav file (like your master audio) into Fusion's Audio ScratchTrack and sync to that.
Not as conveniant as one might wish but still better than no audio at all...:-)

intelligent machine
Fusionista
Answers: 2

Post by intelligent machine » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:50 am

Yeah. I don't understand why they stripped audio from the Fusion page. I assume it's related to performance issues they haven't worked out.

One thing you can do that may be a step up from paper notes (and this is what I typically do first when working with motion graphics and VO):
Create a compound clip on the edit page and then open that compound clip in an a timeline.
Add a track with a title overlay and cut it to each of the queue points and type out part of the VO that corresponds to each segment or whatever notes you want.
Then, on the main timeline turn the compound clip into a new fusion clip.
When you are finished, just open up that compound clip and turn off the titles track.

SirEdric wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:46 am
You can load an external .wav file (like your master audio) into Fusion's Audio ScratchTrack and sync to that.
Not as conveniant as one might wish but still better than no audio at all...:-)

There is NO audio in Davinci Resolve's Fusion page (that I'm aware of).
...No option in the Saver or MediaOut and no scratch track.

LesMatheson

Post by LesMatheson » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:38 am

@SirEdric: as far as I can tell, that feature does not exist in the DR 16 Fusion page. Is there a menu or tool name that I’m missing?

@intellegent machine: Thanks, that’s an idea which at least improves over what I’m doing, I’ll try it :)

Appreciate the responses.

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 4

Post by SirEdric » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:56 am

LesMatheson wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:38 am
that feature does not exist in the DR 16 Fusion page
Ah...bugger.
I thought you were talking about Fusion Standalone....
In Fusion DR it's indeed a shame that you can't hear the audio from the timeline....:-/

LesMatheson

Post by LesMatheson » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:12 am

@intelligent machine: the technique I'm using now is based on your idea, but somewhat different -- I create subtitles on the timeline, and render them out against a black background (with compression turned on). Then when I just drop that media into Fusion, it has the same sequence as the underlying timeline and I can view it as needed to get oriented.

bikewave

Post by bikewave » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:24 am

LesMatheson wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:12 am
I create subtitles on the timeline, and render them out against a black background (with compression turned on). Then when I just drop that media into Fusion
I'm very new here. How do you render out subtitles only on a black background? I've created them, just having trouble getting them into the Fusion tab.

Thanks!

LesMatheson

Post by LesMatheson » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:25 pm

@bikewave: I just disable the other layers in the timeline, so that there's nothing but the subtitles active, and render. The resulting video file can be used as input to fusion just like any video file.