ACES colorspace in Project Settings also adds a curve to its own Fusion (saver) renders

rdoetjes

ACES colorspace in Project Settings also adds a curve to its own Fusion (saver) renders

Post by rdoetjes » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi guys/gals,

Here’s another newbie question.
I have Aces color management set up. I import BM Film and it’s converted nicely.
I do a ton or paint work and I render it out before going in the FX composting to keep workflow fast. It renders it out nicely in a flat linear color space.

However when I import it again in Fusion, it suddenly has a curve on it. I don’t know what kind of curve it is.
I solved it by setting my project settings back from
aces to Davinci’s standard linear.
But I don’t understand why it does something to the render, which obviously is still in linear/aces.

It’s probably my misunderstanding. Perhaps I should just use the OCIO nodes instead of relying on Davinci’s project settings.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Cheers guys and gals,

Ray

SirEdric
Fusionator
Answers: 4

Re: ACES colorspace in Project Settings also adds a curve to its own Fusion (saver) renders

Post by SirEdric » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:13 am

Are you using the Fusion page in Resolve or Fusion standalone?

rdoetjes

Re: ACES colorspace in Project Settings also adds a curve to its own Fusion (saver) renders

Post by rdoetjes » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:41 am

I’m using the Fusion tab.
And just to be clear, the saver is exporting a nice linear image. It’s the mediain once reimported that throws some curve in it.

SecondMan
Site Admin
Answers: 6

Post by SecondMan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:45 am

Moving this to the Resolve for Fusion Users forum...

Can you do a step by step for people to reproduce this issue?

Some screenshots would help, too, if only to identify what kind of curve is being applied. Is it Rec709 (quite possibly) or perhaps log (perhaps less likely)?

Iddos

Post by Iddos » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:37 am

Yes a step by step will help a lot.
Does this happens outside of fusion page?
If you just import the footage in the media page?
Or on a regular edit timeline?